spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fenster77

@att.net

[DIRECTV] Can I use a digital-to-analog converter box for this?

In our family's beach condo, the condo management provides television service via DirecTV. As far as we know, there's one dish that receives the signal for the entire complex. On our end, it just feels like basic cable, as it's an analog signal (no digital tuners required) and we get 60+ standard channels.

Anyway, we have a roughly 3-year old Philips LCD TV that has a bum tuner. Channels 2-6 are fuzzy. We know it's the internal tuner itself because the other smaller tv doesn't have this problem on the same connection. And the problem tv suffers from the same issue in other rooms where the second tv is fine.

So, I was thinking about just picking up an external tuner. But the only thing I'd be able to find local store would be a digital-to-analog converter box. Would this even work since it's not actually a digital signal?

What are my options if I just need to bypass the internal tuner on an analog signal, short of finding an old VCR?

Thanks!

eakes

join:2000-10-20
Richardson, TX

Re: [DIRECTV] Can I use a digital-to-analog converter box for th

VCR is your answer. D/A tuner box won't work as it only works to receive digital TV.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to fenster77
Those tuners are for OTA TV not satellite. They decode ATSC signals. Satellite doesn't use that. And analog uses NTSC. And yes it's still digital it just outputs the signal to analog so it wouldn't be HD. But since you're not trying to get in OTA signals then it's pointless to get a converter

fenster77

@att.net
reply to eakes
said by eakes:

VCR is your answer. D/A tuner box won't work as it only works to receive digital TV.

I was afraid of that.

Thanks for the input.