grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to glussier

Re: [Mobile] ICS 4.0 ...

said by glussier:

Those who purchased an incs not locked to a service provider, have been receiving the ics upgrade. The problem is more, the service provider who wishes to install his own crap software before pushing the updates.

THIS!

I mean, really? How hard can it be for the cell phone providers to put their apps in the Play Store and just ask the manufacturers to put out a super mildly customized rom with a couple of links to those on the home screen. That way, not only would it help with timely updates, but it would also not waste storage space by including non-removable apps from the system partition.

/rant

EDIT: Minor edit. space -> storage space.

cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently

join:2011-04-19
Hamilton, ON

said by grunze510:

I mean, really? How hard can it be for the cell phone providers to put their apps in the Play Store and just ask the manufacturers to put out a super mildly customized rom with a couple of links to those on the home screen. That way, not only would it help with timely updates, but it would also not waste storage space by including non-removable apps from the system partition.

bell's apps are in the market. i removed the apk's manually with a root application. i have to put them back when i do an android update, because it will fail if i don't.

that said, i agree that cell providers shouldn't be bundling their updates with garbage. do what you need to do to make it work on your network (if anything at all) and leave it at that.

oh, and moto releases ics for atrix in "late q3 2012", i wonder how long i'll have to wait to get that one... january?
--
Myth: It's only fair to pay for quality first-run movies.
Fact: Most movies shown on cable get two stars or less
and are repeated ad nauseum.