uniqs

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57 to DC DSL

Premium Member

to DC DSL

Re: Working at the Pentagon soon. Metro rail cost?

said by DC DSL:

I do not understand why some people object to SmarTrip.

You live in the city, I don't. Nor do I live near a Metro station. Your chances of casually using the Metro are much greater than mine.
Why should I buy a 'SmarTrip' when I want to go for one $1.85 ride maybe every 4-6 weeks, and why should that $1.85 ride now cost me $2.85 because of which form of trip card I'm purchasing?

I don't object to SmarTrip, I object to being extorted. As I said. It's like I'm paying tribute to Big Paulie.

More subtle extortion: When inserting a $20 bill into a fare card machine, you're required to purchase a $10 card, because you're not going to get more than $10 in change.

What's the minimum purchase when buying a SmarTrip, anyway?

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

2 edits

DC DSL

Premium Member

You don't really have a legit argument there. SmarTrip simply is more convenient since you can now reload ahead of time online, it is faster to get through the faregates, you can use the same instrument to ride most of the transit systems in the region, pay for parking, and (if you register it) you won't lose the money that was on it. It is more convenient for Metro since printing so many mag stripe cards costs money, maintaining the mechanical readers costs money, and on buses having to physically handle currency costs money. If you feel the paper card is more convenient for you, then you have to pay a premium for that "convenience" as with most everything else these days.

When you buy a SmarTrip, it's $10 ($5 for the card, $5 value loaded on it). Adding value at a fare machine defaults to $10 when paying by credit or debit but you can decrease it. I think $5 is the minimum for cards but I'm not sure...I always either insert cash or if I'm paying with a card $10 or $20 depending on how much I plan to use it in the next few weeks. Adding value online is a $10 minimum...but to be safe, always do that a few days in advance, not as you're about to head out.

There also is a $3 rebate when you buy a card and register it online starting 9/1/12. You have to use that within 30 days or you lose it, though.

AB57
Premium Member
join:2006-04-04
equatorial

AB57

Premium Member

said by DC DSL:

You don't really have a legit argument there.

Not enjoying extortion maybe isn't a legitimate "argument", but I think it's always a legitimate sentiment.

If you feel the paper card is more convenient for you, then you have to pay a premium for that "convenience" as with most everything else these days.

Odd that for so many years I never had to pay that premium, yet the Metro transit system ran about exactly the same as it does now.

When you buy a SmarTrip, it's $10 ($5 for the card, $5 value loaded on it).

So there it is. They've figured out a way to get extra from me/us no matter which choice I/we make.

At any rate (so to speak), we obviously view the situation differently, and this thread isn't directly about what/how Metro is charging for farecards anyway. Maybe we should just leave it at that.

DC DSL
There's a reason I'm Command.
Premium Member
join:2000-07-30
Washington, DC
Actiontec GT784WN

DC DSL

Premium Member

You are blowing it way, way out of proportion by claiming "extortion" by Metro.

Once the SmarTrip reached critical mass in terms of acceptance, plus the technological improvements that have made it possible for seamless use across rail, bus, and other systems in the region, plus the other conveniences I pointed out, use of the paper cards for the subway is no longer economically desirable. WMATA is absolutely within its rights to charge a premium to customers who want to continue using an outdated and increasingly costly method of payment. I have offered adequate explanation of why the SmarTrip is a better option than paper; kindly provide some tangible benefit to a paper card that makes it superior to the SmarTrip.

No one is being extorted. Penalized, perhaps; however, paying that penalty is solely at the express request of the customer. Surely you will take at least 5 trips on the subway within a few months...in which case the card has paid for itself. And, since you will more than likely ride the subway more than 5 times you incur no further "premium" charges (or penalty) for it unless you have to replace your card for some reason (I have had mine for over 12 years now).

Frankly, there is absolutely no reason for anyone who lives in the area and uses the subway on even a semi-regular basis to not have a SmarTrip. Let tourists pay the surcharge.