Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb

Re: Nebraska Zephyr Excursion

Not much of a railroad buff. Not sure riding through the flat plains of IL would be very exciting. If you like trains though it sounds great. I would like to take a train ride cross-country some day. Maybe to the pacific northwest or maybe east. Something that goes through the mountains.

Don't think this one would interest me but thanks for pointing it out. Someone will enjoy it I'm sure.

StepR
Code Warrior
Premium Member
join:2000-11-06
Elgin, IL

StepR

Premium Member

I am reminded of a Mike Royko column from 1984 when he rode Amtrak across the country to go to the convention in San Francisco. All of a sudden some nearby German tourists stood up and exclaimed, " Mein Gott, when will it end?" Royko thought something terrible had happened, but the tourist was only frustrated with the endless waves of grain.

I think a trip as far as Galesburg will not draw such emotion. It will be just long enough to enjoy travel as it was 80 years ago. I imagine my wife and I dressing in period clothing enjoying the countryside go past while we enjoy the art deco interior.

snipper_cr
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
I see the plains a lot from 37,000 feet and the view isn't much better up there!

I think in this situation, the joy is more in the method of transportation than in the actual destination. I know plenty of railroad buffs that would jump on this in an instant (I have forwarded it to them). I think this will draw plenty of railroad buffs. But I agree, a trip through the mountains or along a coast would provide more to see.

To each their own.