uniqs
share rss forum feed

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to ptrowski

Re: Wii U

said by ptrowski:

Remember when people predicted the Wii would fail? Me too. It didn't. You keep mentioning serious gamers, but don't forget the huge market of people who aren't. Overall the wii can be a fun console, and to have it upgraded with better graphics etc will be nice.

It sold because it had a gimmicky controller and much lower price than the PS3 and XBOX 360. The WiiU will NOT be lower than these 2 and no one cares about this new gimmick they have. And their old gimmick is incorporated in the 360 and PS3.

If you look at an apples to apples comparison the WiiU will sell less units than the 360 or PS3 which is the consoles it should be compared too. I'm sick of people comparing Wii sales to PS3 and 360 when the Wii was a glorified PS2/Xbox.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

1 recommendation

It sold because Nintendo has a huge following. It sold because anyone of any age group or ability could play and they have a good catalog of games anyone can play. It's compared with the others because it is the next gen console from Nintendo at the time. It's not in the same realm of the PS3 and Xbox360, no one is doubting that. But to say it was a gimmick is just ignorant.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

If you look at an apples to apples comparison the WiiU will sell less units than the 360 or PS3 which is the consoles it should be compared too. I'm sick of people comparing Wii sales to PS3 and 360 when the Wii was a glorified PS2/Xbox.

Why would/should the WiiU be compared to the PS3 or 360? The original Wii released in that generation.

The Game Cube was the comparable system to the PS2/Xbox. You're not making much sense.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
said by Ghastlyone:

said by 88615298:

Why would/should the WiiU be compared to the PS3 or 360? The original Wii released in that generation.

The Game Cube was the comparable system to the PS2/Xbox. You're not making much sense.

I don't care WHEN a system was released it's by SPECS in my book. If a retro ColecoVision was released and sold 100 million units it is #1 now because it sold the most of "this generation" Um no. Like I said, in MY book and to me that's the only book that matters.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
According to leaked Wii U specs, I'm gonna assume that the wii u will be the Dreamcast of the next gen: An obvious upgrade from the last gen, but also less powerful then the others of the newer, yet able to hold it's own.

It's not gonna be known as part of the ps3/360 gen.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by Ghastlyone:

said by 88615298:

I don't care WHEN a system was released it's by SPECS in my book. If a retro ColecoVision was released and sold 100 million units it is #1 now because it sold the most of "this generation" Um no. Like I said, in MY book and to me that's the only book that matters.

So if it's all about specs in "your book", you should be posting in the PC gaming forum more often then you do. Guess not.

Yet again. You make no sense.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA

1 recommendation

reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by Ghastlyone:

said by 88615298:

Your book and to you, never truer words spoken. All the consoles have their strengths and weaknesses. I personally have a 360 and a Wii, I'd have a PS3 but there's so much stuff released cross-console now and not enough "Must Have" PS3 games for me that I can't justify the cost of one yet. My daughter loves the Wii, I love the Wii, I know a lot of families that have them. Even though it's not a "hardcore" gaming machine, it's fun. I mean really, how hardcore was an NES back in the day? Or an SNES?

I think the Wii U will probably do fine. I may not buy one right out the gate, but that's not necessarily for lack of wanting one. Sometimes other things take financial priority. I remember the Wii getting mocked a lot - heck, I remember mocking the Wii, before I had a chance to use one. Out of the three "current" generation systems, it's probably the one I have the most fun with. At least it's not always trying to nickel and dime me like all the "Xbox Live Gold only" features Microsoft keeps shoving out there.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
reply to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by ptrowski:

Remember when people predicted the Wii would fail? Me too. It didn't. You keep mentioning serious gamers, but don't forget the huge market of people who aren't. Overall the wii can be a fun console, and to have it upgraded with better graphics etc will be nice.

It sold because it had a gimmicky controller and much lower price than the PS3 and XBOX 360. The WiiU will NOT be lower than these 2 and no one cares about this new gimmick they have. And their old gimmick is incorporated in the 360 and PS3.

So if Sony or MS offers an innovation, it is an innovation. If Nintendo offers an innovation, it is a gimmick? C'mon, they are moving the tech forward. Until holographic tech arrives, things like this are neat and excite shoppers to buy.

And I agree "Serious Gamers"? What a term! If you're not a SERIOUS gamer, what are you, a loser? I think not. Gaming is supposed to be fun and is supposed to enrich life. Whatever any company offers towards that end is just fine. Wii people are just as valid as PS3 people.

OMGz, !m $0 !33t! Yeah, and so?
--
Join Teams Helix and Discovery. Rest in Peace, Leonard David Smith, my best friend, you are missed badly! Rest in peace, Pop, glad our last years were good. Please pray for Colin, he has ependymoma, a brain cancer, donate to a children's Hospital.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state
Seriously, as a long time Nintendo fan, they are pretty much THE gimmick company. At least today they are. They still make fun games, but add largely useless gimmicks, such as the wii mote or '3d'.

The wii mote suffered largely from accuracy issues, as well as the graphics. The accuracy issue and the lgeions of shit games kept it mainly a gimmick.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

Well, MS has their watcha ma call it, the thing that has cameras that watch your body movement. Isn't that a gimmick? I don't follow this stuff much, but my impression is, if they are gimmicks, Sony and MS do it too. What's in a name...

Metatron2008
Premium
united state
In a lot of ways. It tracks movement better then the wii however.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2
reply to signmeuptoo
said by signmeuptoo:

Well, MS has their watcha ma call it, the thing that has cameras that watch your body movement. Isn't that a gimmick? I don't follow this stuff much, but my impression is, if they are gimmicks, Sony and MS do it too. What's in a name...

Yep. The only motion control scheme that I've actually liked for 'hardcore' games has been the PS Move with the gun peripheral. It works as well if not better than any controller in compatible FPSs (Killzone 3, Resistance 3) once you get used to it. But that only came about as a direct answer to the Wiimote, even if it does work 1000X better.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
NanoParticle
I suppose these are gimmicks now, but are also innovations that will lead to real advances in the future. We all crawl before we walk, and I swear, the rest of the animal kingdom must find humans bizarre for walking on 2 legs...