antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer

Re: Best Linksys wireless router suggestions for a big house?

said by lordpuffer:

said by antdude:

said by lordpuffer:

This Range Extender should work:

»homestore.cisco.com/en-u ··· prod.htm

I used this range extender before for something and it seemed to work well. All you need to do it plug it in towards the center of the home. No wires.

How does that work? Connect from a router and point to the middle of the house? I have never used one of those extender bridges before.

Basically that is correct. You would use your WRT54GL as your Router, and then you would plug the Range Extender into a wall socket in the center of the house.

You would configure both products to communicate with each other so that the Extender will amplify the WRT54GL signal.

When I got the Range Extender, I believe that I called Linksys support, for I needed a little help setting it up. But it was pretty easy.

One thing to remember is that although it is an N device, the Range Extender only amplifies the 2.4GHz band. But that won't be an issue if you use the WRT54GL. It would be an issue if you moved up to a dual-band router.

What is a dual-band router? Is that G and N together? What would I do if I got one in the future (e.g., WRT54GL dies).

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by antdude:

What is a dual-band router? Is that G and N together? What would I do if I got one in the future (e.g., WRT54GL dies).

A dual-band router utilizes both the 2.4GHz AND the 5GHz spectrums.

Many devices are now have 5GHz wireless adapters. If you end up getting a dual-band router, then you can use an access point as described above.

As mozerd stated, the Range Extender may not be good for multiple devices that are being used at the same time, so if speed is a major issue, it may not be the way to go.

Kyawa
Premium Member
join:2006-01-26
Middletown, MD

Kyawa to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
Not to be a jerk, but I think you should sub this piece out. It doesn't sound like networking is your expertise? Please take no offense.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by Kyawa:

Not to be a jerk, but I think you should sub this piece out. It doesn't sound like networking is your expertise? Please take no offense.

Yeah, networking isn't my strong area (have basic understandings). I didn't know it would be this complex.

So there are no wireless routers that can extend farther than a Linksys WRT54GL then.

Kyawa
Premium Member
join:2006-01-26
Middletown, MD

Kyawa

Premium Member

You can try a "N" router. Just remember, they greater the distance, the lower the speed.

Why are they against running a cable for another access point? This pretty much guarantees success.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

1 edit

antdude

Premium Member

said by Kyawa:

You can try a "N" router. Just remember, they greater the distance, the lower the speed.

Why are they against running a cable for another access point? This pretty much guarantees success.

With N router, how much better/worse is the farther distance compared to a Linksys WRT54GL router?

Because the old people don't want to wire/cable more inside the house's walls and stuff. They really hate them.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

1 recommendation

lordpuffer

Premium Member

You can take a look at these for "N" routers:

»reviews.cnet.com/best-wi ··· routers/

However, you still may need another access point, whether wired or wireless to cover the whole house with the speed they need.