All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
CECat
join:2012-08-14

CECat to graysonf

to graysonf

Re: [Modem] Help with Motorola 3360 Modem and router configurati

If that is the case, I suspect that the router is capable -- the only trouble will be with me figuring out how to find and configure the necessary settings. Any idea what I would be looking for? Is there some terminology that would get me to the right instruction?

Thanks!
Susan

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

The router only approach involves being able to assign an additional private IP address to the WAN interface and provide a certain outbound NAT rule to allow the modem to be reached. I suspect most routers alone by themselves are incapable of this.

Although not helpful to you, I am including the relevant link for setting this up on m0n0wall:

»wiki.m0n0.ch/wikka.php?w ··· firewall

I am still using m0n0wall but with Comcast cable instead of AT&T DSL. No special configuration of m0n0wall as above is needed to reach the modem which has an IP address of 192.168.100.1. I have no explanation why this works, it just does.

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac to CECat

MVM

to CECat
What is the ip address of the buffalo airstation router
CECat

CECat

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

When the modem is in bridge mode it can be accessed from the lan and it cannot be accessed from the internet
CECat

CECat

I am unsuccessful reaching the modem from the LAN through the stated IP of the modem (which is 192.168.1.254). It just times out. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by CECat:

I am unsuccessful reaching the modem from the LAN through the stated IP of the modem (which is 192.168.1.254). It just times out. Am I missing something?

The computer you use to access the bridged modem must have a ip address that is within the modems subnet

Also if the router is initiating the pppoe session
The pppoe session will block access to the modem
CECat

CECat

Sorry, I missed that last reply, Wayjac, but I'm afraid you're a bit over my head.

The modem's IP is 192.168.1.254
The router's IP is definitely 192.168.11.1

All of the connected computers are in the router's range. The modem does not have an additional ethernet port where I can connect a computer.

Are you saying that if I change the IP of one of the computers to 192.168.1.2 I will be able to communicate with the modem?

My service is once again deteriorating rapidly, so I'd really like to find a way to access the modem's logs and stats if any way possible. If that means I have to configure everything differently, I may just have to do that (but will need advice on that as well).

Thanks so much!!
Susan

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

IF you want to access the modems configuration pages you'll need to connect a computer directly to the modem and that computer must have a ip address within the modems ip subnet like
If you want access to the modems configuration pages with a computer connected to the router you will need to change the ip of the router to a ip within the subnet of the modem and make some other changes to the way the router is connected to the modem
CECat

CECat

Thanks for the reply and sorry to be dense, but ... are you saying that if I change the ROUTER's IP address to the same subnet as the modem, then I will be able to access the modem from a computer connected to the router? So, for example, if the modem is 192.168.1.254 and I change the router's IP (currently 192.168.11.1) to 192.168.1.1 and, then a computer on the LAN to 192.168.1.2, that computer will be able to access the interface at 192.168.1.254?

Thanks again!
CECat

CECat

Never mind ... I think I *finally* grasped the issue and it looks like the only rational solution will be to add a hub between the modem and router, and attach a spare laptop to that with an IP on the same subnet as the modem.

Susan

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by CECatit :

looks like the only rational solution will be to add a hub between the modem and router, and attach a spare laptop to that with an IP on the same subnet as the modem

You don't need to add a hub or a spare computer if the router has two unused ethernet ports
CECat

CECat

Oh! So, if I connect the spare laptop to one of the router's empty ports, but set its IP to match the modem's subnet, then I can contact the modem through it? If so, then what is the second router port needed for?

Pretend you're explaining to an idiot Actually, you won't be pretending!

Thanks so much!!
Susan

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by CECat:

Oh! So, if I connect the spare laptop to one of the router's empty ports, but set its IP to match the modem's subnet, then I can contact the modem through it?

Correct
said by CECat:

If so, then what is the second router port needed for?

Connecting the modem and router this way uses two router lan ports

Here's a picture that shows the connections
/r0/download/1615782~8f41b3f88f2340fe10b10e7c6a70ad5b/untitled_5.PNG
CECat

CECat

Thank you!!! Almost idiot-proof

One (hopefully) last question --- do the spare laptop AND the router now have to be on the same subnet as the modem, or just the spare laptop?

REALLY appreciate all your help, Wayjac!

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

said by CECat:

One (hopefully) last question --- do the spare laptop AND the router now have to be on the same subnet as the modem, or just the spare laptop?

If the spare laptop is the only computer you want to access the modem. Only the spare laptop needs to use the same subnet as the modem