Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

WNDR4500 Firmware Version 1.0.1.18 BUG

This is a heads up for everyone using the WNDR4500

Firmware Version 1.0.1.18 has a serious bug that triggers WOL magic packets every few minutes. So if you rely on WOL downgrade your firmware to Firmware Version 1.0.1.6

Netgear have a fix for the WOL issue but I have no idea when the Firmware containing the fix gets released.
Missileman
join:2001-03-20
Orlando, FL

Missileman

I have verified this. In my case I just disabled it on the network card as I don't use it anyway.
rabidcat77
join:2006-10-16
Fort Lee, NJ

rabidcat77 to mozerd

to mozerd
Yep, same here, just updated my firmware last night and turned off my main pc, only to have it keep on waking up. I thought maybe it was the port forwards I had set up previously now somehow triggering it to wake up, but then did a packet capture and started seeing a bunch of WOL Magic Packets getting sent out by the router. I ended up disabling WOL for now, although I do have a legitimate use for it and had it enabled for a reason! Guess we will have to see how long it takes before it is fixed by Netgear.
pendaws
join:2012-09-16

pendaws to mozerd

to mozerd
Hi there, nice to be here.
I recently was upgraded to this new firmware and never noticed the problem, I always have the WOL disabled on my machines, I will be keeping an eye out for any new firmware updates though.

S Jin
@comcast.net

S Jin to mozerd

Anon

to mozerd
It appears the firmware also has another serious issue when used with Comcast Motorola SB6121 cable modem.

I don't have enough test data to prove this is in fact an issue for everyone, but once I upgraded to 1.0.1.18 firmware, the download speed went to very poor and it somehow infect the cable modem that it needs to be rebooted to recover even if it is not connected to the router anymore. I tried so many different thing to track down the issue and concluded that it is the router's new firmware that is causing an issue.

After downgrading 1.0.1.16 firmware, the problem went away.

So be careful with the new firmware.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

said by S Jin :

It appears the firmware also has another serious issue when used with Comcast Motorola SB6121 cable modem.

Did you report this issue to Netgear -- if not go to the NETGEAR Customer Portal and report the problem.
mozerd

mozerd

MVM

WNDR4500 Firmware Version 1.0.1.20

New Firmwware released version WNDR4500-V1.0.1.20_1.0.40

Bug Fixes & Enhancements:

[Fixed]: JP SKU PPPoE issue.
[Fixed]: Time Machine WOL issue.
[Fixed]: Russia PPTP issue.
vegasmach1
join:2004-11-26
Las Vegas, NV

vegasmach1

I just installed the new firmware and I've noticed a more stable connection. I have the SB6121 modem but did not exerience any issues as noted above. Infact I thought the 1.0.1.16 version was awful.

Gr8North
@cgocable.net

Gr8North

Anon

v.20 does indeed apparently fix the random WOL packet issue. My machines no longer start up.

However, I cannot wake them from the outside world with this router. With my old Linksys 54G and HyperWRT it was never a problem forwarding the port 9 packet.

Netgear politely says it's my problem and directs me to how to setup the machine for WOL. Which is not the issue. I can wake up any of them internally using several different WOL utilities.

Has anyone had ANY success waking up their machines from the outside world with NetGear's WNDR4500?

Thanks in advance.

mozerd
MVM
Nepean, ON

mozerd

MVM

I have not tried to use WOL remotely ... so i suggest that you may need to open port 9 to allow the magic packet through.

Have you tried to contact Netgear to get their take on the subject?