share rss forum feed

Cesco
Electronic Box toddler
Premium
join:2009-01-28
Montreal, QC
reply to HackedWEP

Re: [Eng] Router was WEP cracked. $600 in overages. What can we

Just to make sure: did you slap your roomie upside the head for downgrading the router's security to WEP (unless there was valid reason for doing so)??

fredbisard

@charter.com

said by Cesco:

Just to make sure: did you slap your roomie upside the head for downgrading the router's security to WEP (unless there was valid reason for doing so)??

slap hell,
knock the holy dog s**t out of him!!

LEKO

join:2010-09-28
Montreal, QC
reply to Cesco

said by Cesco:

^
There is NO reason to use WEP. WEP is no better than leaving the WiFi unsecure.

GuiGQc

join:2012-02-22
Gatineau, QC

said by LEKO:

WEP is no better than leaving the WiFi unsecure.

Well, I think your pushing it a little. It still blocks over 95% of the population.

LEKO

Montreal, QC

said by GuiGQc:

said by LEKO:

WEP is no better than leaving the WiFi unsecure.

Well, I think your pushing it a little. It still blocks over 95% of the population.

I'm not pushing a little...
It's the last 5% we want to block, so WEP is useless to block them.

Why do you lock your door at home? It's not the average joe, it's for the small fractions of bad guys.

GuiGQc

join:2012-02-22
Gatineau, QC

The difference is that every kid with a laptop can try to use your wifi to download movies. Not every kid with a laptop will have the nerves to go steal your TV.

LEKO

Montreal, QC

said by GuiGQc:

The difference is that every kid with a laptop can try to use your wifi to download movies. Not every kid with a laptop will have the nerves to go steal your TV.

I do really hope is not the kind of advice you give. It's like recommending people using password 1234. Yes, it's a password, but it is not secure.

Think about it: do you want to pay that 600$ bill?