share rss forum feed

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to Bob4

Re: [Photos] Salvagable?

said by Bob4:

What? No one's going to give him a new car to replace a 3 year old car.

Here in Quebec, yes, if you pay a little bit extra on your insurance, you can get something called (roughly translated) "As new value/Valued as if new" option. A car 5 years or younger of age, if totaled, will be replaced by a brand new one of equal purchase value.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

Similar policies can be had here, but they're rare.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to alkizmo

Never heard of that here. The insurance company gives you would it would cost to buy a used car identical to the one that was totalled, plus the sales tax, minus your deductible.

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

»www.allstate.com/auto-insurance/···res.aspx

Allstate advertises it. You can buy whatever level of coverage you want, as long as you can pay the price.

telco_mtl

join:2012-01-06
reply to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

said by Bob4:

What? No one's going to give him a new car to replace a 3 year old car.

Here in Quebec, yes, if you pay a little bit extra on your insurance, you can get something called (roughly translated) "As new value/Valued as if new" option. A car 5 years or younger of age, if totaled, will be replaced by a brand new one of equal purchase value.

as someone who scours the scrapyards up here, i love these insurance policies, you can get an entire car like that with a VGA title for about 1500$ (VGA = in french means heavily damaged vehicle)

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to No_Strings

said by No_Strings:

»www.allstate.com/auto-insurance/···res.aspx

Allstate advertises it. You can buy whatever level of coverage you want, as long as you can pay the price.

Yeap, when alkizmo mentioned it, I knew I'd heard of something similar being available but figured it was some sort of special option that some carriers offered.

I suspect that even in QC, it's not "standard" with all carriers either.