tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
reply to JigglyWiggly

Re: [Speed] Heads-Up: Time to Replace Your DOCSIS 1.1 Modem

And to better serve you.
Network management becomes a lot more efficient once the ENTIRE network is D3.
more efficient=more available bandwidth and speed potential.

eliminating D1.1 is the next step forward.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
said by tshirt:

And to better serve you.
Network management becomes a lot more efficient once the ENTIRE network is D3.
more efficient=more available bandwidth and speed potential.

eliminating D1.1 is the next step forward.

I totally agree with this statement.

My question is, how soon will Comcast move forward with doing something similar with the D2.x modems and eMTA's? If the eventual goal is to have everything be D3, why not just jump to that point right away?

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
A good question, Maybe Jason can answer for certain.
I'd guess that because D2 is closer to D3 than D1.1, but was never widely adopted, it can co-exist for the meantime, which may not be more then a year or two which is why he suggested a D3 modem, and probably should have hinted at IPv6 CERTIFIED (per comcast's list) for best future longevitity (only the future is future-proof)
I think the logistics of replacing EVERY rented modem dictates the staged replacement ("ah, run down to bestbuy and get 10-12 million D3 modems, before lunch, would cha' " )

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:17

2 recommendations

DOCSIS isn't used by just modems and eMTAs.

Don't forget all the cables boxes (DCH, DCX, etc.) with non-D3 modems in them that will be used as iGuide is replaced.

Along with that are various status monitoring modules on plant power supplies and other things that may use DOCSIS modems for communications.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL

1 recommendation

reply to tshirt
I do agree. Doing it in stages (remove the 1.0 first, then the 1.1 next, and then remove the 2.x last) is the best move.

Not to mention, those with D2 eMTA's (like myself) have very few (if any options) to purchase a D3 eMTA on their own. While I rent, I know there are quite a number of people who do purchase, and if they have a D2 eMTA now, and want to go buy a D3 one, the options are not very good (if any exist at all).

Hopefully when Comcast does force the D2's off the network, there will be more options to purchase a D3 eMTA then there are now.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

tshirt
Premium
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by plencnerb:

Hopefully when Comcast does force the D2's off the network, there will be more options to purchase a D3 eMTA then there are now.

--Brian

That you can be sure of, this is a huge market, with new product being introduced as we speak, testing and ceritifcation coming soon.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
reply to tshirt
said by tshirt:

A good question, Maybe Jason can answer for certain.
I'd guess that because D2 is closer to D3 than D1.1, but was never widely adopted, it can co-exist for the meantime, which may not be more then a year or two which is why he suggested a D3 modem, and probably should have hinted at IPv6 CERTIFIED (per comcast's list) for best future longevitity (only the future is future-proof)

Unless someone is happy to be on the Economy tier for a long time you are going to need to do channel bonding to take full advantage of your speeds in the future, and that means you want a D3 device. You also want that investment to last a long time and not learn that your D2 device is in End of Life or End Of Service status in a year or two. You also want modern features like IPv6, and to know that the vendor is still releasing firmware updates periodically.
--
JL
Comcast

ExoticFish

join:2008-08-31
Stuarts Draft, VA
All of which is dependent upon Comcast upgrading all systems to D3.
--
»www.VAJeeps.com

TriForce

join:2008-05-27
Chico, CA

1 edit
reply to jlivingood
Nevermind, wrong question to ask. D2 modems will still work but won't be capable of new speeds. D1 modems will fail to work.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4
reply to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

I do agree. Doing it in stages (remove the 1.0 first, then the 1.1 next, and then remove the 2.x last) is the best move.

Not to mention, those with D2 eMTA's (like myself) have very few (if any options) to purchase a D3 eMTA on their own. While I rent, I know there are quite a number of people who do purchase, and if they have a D2 eMTA now, and want to go buy a D3 one, the options are not very good (if any exist at all).

--Brian

DOCSIS 2.0 will probably not go away due to what DrDrew is saying the boxes out there currently do not have DOCSIS 3.0 bonding capability but motorola says that I think the DCX series boxes and maybe the DCH have a DOCSIS 2.0+ which I think can bond 3 channels for the cable modem but you would have to have a firmware upgrade from motorola to support it and none of the current firmware versions support DOCSIS 2.0+ on the boxes internal modem. Time Warner Cable is already using DOCSIS modems in boxes in my area to deliver the tru2way Navigator 5.2 black guide data on DCX3200M and DCX3400M as well as the DCX3510M. My area has legacy iGuide boxes as well that just got BIAP apps this last july to support TWC's caller id on tv as well as their nifty startover and lookback features. Now TWC pretty much has blended SDV, VOD, and network DVR features (startover/lookback) in my area.