how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

encom

join:2012-08-30
Newport News, VA

[Southeast] FiOS internal network

I have a wireless printer that I just cannot get my mac to find. I can ping it though the FiOS actiontec router. It's in my hosts file on my mac. I've tried Verizon forum, Apple support forums, HP forum - all to no avail. I am hopeful that someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

Mahalo

join:2000-12-20
united state
kudos:1

Can you ping the IP of the printer from the MAC?
Why is it in the host file? You put it there?
How is your network setup?
If you have this info on one of the other sites, provide a link.

encom

Newport News, VA

No. I cannot ping it from the mac.
I put it in the host file.
I have WPA2 using only the actiontec router Verizon provided. The printer is in the ARP table on the router.
I'll have to look for the info later, sorry.

Forgot to mention I also have openDNS installed on the router. Not sure that matters or not.

Mahalo

join:2000-12-20
united state
kudos:1

So let's forget about DNS/host names for a little. We need to get where IP works and then we can work on name/DNS.
Is everything on the same network? Example 192.168.1.x?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:29
reply to encom

Try disabling the IGMP proxy.

Click on the Advanved icon.
Select IGMP proxy from the menu.
Select Disabled from the first pulldown.
Click Apply.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

encom

Newport News, VA
reply to Mahalo

Yes, all are on the same network.

encom

Newport News, VA
reply to More Fiber

I'll try that tonight. Thank you for the suggestion.

alchav

join:2002-05-17
Saint George, UT
reply to encom

said by encom:

I have a wireless printer that I just cannot get my mac to find. I can ping it though the FiOS actiontec router. It's in my hosts file on my mac. I've tried Verizon forum, Apple support forums, HP forum - all to no avail. I am hopeful that someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

The best way to set up a Wireless Printer is with the Printer Software. If you don't have a Mac version Disc, then go to the Printers Web Site and download it. If nothing is available for Mac's, it might not be compatible.

encom

Newport News, VA
reply to More Fiber

disabled IGMP and rebooted the router. it seems to have fixed. time will tell if it is permanent. I had rebooted the router in the past and it didn't clear the error so maybe this did it.

thanks!

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2

said by encom:

disabled IGMP and rebooted the router. it seems to have fixed. time will tell if it is permanent. I had rebooted the router in the past and it didn't clear the error so maybe this did it.

thanks!

Had you rebooted the router BEFORE you disabled IGMP (with the problem still presisting) and then you disabled IGMP and reboooted it and the printer worked? Just trying to understand...

encom

Newport News, VA

I had previously rebooted the router, before I submitted the question. So, in reality, I did not reboot the router right before I disabled IGMP.