Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sunday8pm

join:2010-05-24
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
·voip.ms

Cancelling Fibe after a month to get a clean line for free?

Hi all,

I moved into a flat where the phone line is dodgy. Previous tenant was with an independent ISP so Bell wouldn't budge to fix anything and he kept getting de-synchronised.

As I am taking over the flat and have no idea about the inside wiring (it is inside the wall), I was thinking about getting a Bell Fibe 25 package for a month, have Bell install a clean new line and plug for Fibe from the demarc to my modem and then cancel Fibe after a month.
This way I would get Bell to do their job for the price of one month on Fibe (no install fees etc have I been told).

Am I correct in my thinking? Would I then be able to use this new clean line for an indie ISP like Distributel, TSI or Colba?

Thanks for your help,

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
Likely the problem is on Bell's side not your wiring. Either your flat is wired properly or you wouldn't even get a signal. I'd say you're wasting your time with a move like that.

joeybee
Joey
Premium
join:2003-08-12
Hamilton, ON
reply to sunday8pm
It is no install fees only if you sign a 2 year contract. If you don't sign the contract it is a $250+tax install fee. If you sign and cancel a month later you will have a large cancellation fee.
--
Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, Are the ones who do.

service

@videotron.ca
reply to sunday8pm
Just put your foot down like a man and tell your lazy ass bell reseller to get the problem fixed.

If it's your wiring, pay the hundred bucks. If it's not the interior wiring, then it's no charge.

Does your Bell reseller provide any service or not? Doesn't seem like it the way you are talking.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to sunday8pm
It's a known problem with the Cellpipe modems, call your provider

sunday8pm

Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
·voip.ms
reply to service
I am not in business with this provider and I would much rather subscribe to an indie with a clean line because I know from experience it is a major pain to get Bell to do anything when subscribed to an indie.

I am a student and could use the 250$ a year price difference between DSL and cable.

sunday8pm

Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
·voip.ms
reply to ChuckcZar
Not true, some flats have 40-60 years old wiring after the demarc that further aggravate the problem.
ADSL is analog and is different from digital. For digital services, you are right, it either works or it doesn't. But for analog it's not 1 or 0, think about FM radio when you have poor reception. You can still catch some words/music with static but with digital satellite you will get a clear picture or no pictures/blocks.

sunday8pm

reply to joeybee
I see. I believe there is a law in QC that you can cancel a contract by paying 50$ at any time, provided there were no subsidized device.
Still, 50$ on top of one month of service would come close to the 100$ Bell charge.

sunday8pm

Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
·voip.ms
reply to sunday8pm
If Bell comes and finds out it's the inside wiring, they charge 100$; that I understood.
What do they do for that 100$? Do they just consider they had to come over for “no reason” because the inside wiring is faulty, charge me 100$ and leave or do they fix the inside wiring while they are at it for these 100$?

eweazel

join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to sunday8pm
It worked for me. I tried getting Acanac a few years ago, but the outside line was all messed up, I decided then to sign up with Sympatico, they came right over, fixed the outside like after a year I switched back to Acanac, now teksavvy. So it the idea does work.

ajhaji
Premium
join:2002-03-02
North York, ON
reply to sunday8pm
Get this and you've got 3 months of service, installation included, for $30.

sunday8pm

Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
·voip.ms
Nice, thanks!
The 15 and 25 packages are FTTN then copper and the 50 package is FTTH, right? So I should take 15 or 25 if I want a new clean line?
Is it possible to cancel after one month? I don't want to stay with Bell longer than necessary

ajhaji
Premium
join:2002-03-02
North York, ON
You can cancel anytime, but why not stay the full 3 months, since you've already paid for it?

sunday8pm

Because Bell is evil and because I will blow the 75GB cap in a week

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON

1 edit
I used the Dell/Bell G&G kit to ensure this house's original phone line could handle DSL (50+ years old). The Bell tech ended up doing some outside wiring updates, some inside wiring (just to the phone distribution block), and changed/upgraded the outside NID, so at least both phone lines now enter the house via that new NID.

Unfortunately, I was still restricted to Legacy 5M!

I would cancel after 7 weeks, or earlier of course, giving 30 days notice, to avoid any of their potential billing 'complications'.

noService

@videotron.ca
reply to sunday8pm
said by sunday8pm:

Just use it, and BE SURE to give 30-days prior notice in telling them to go F themselves.

So you are doing all this in order to try and prevent a 100$ diagnostic charge. Amazing.

Have you worked out the math on the low B/W usage you will get with bell, and the monthly fee (with modem rental)?

Is it really worth trying to be that cheap and trying to skim a lousy (and potential) 100$? Seriously?

I guess this shows just how lacking resellers are when it comes to proper service. People run to Bell.

plebel
Premium
join:2011-01-27
Ottawa, ON
said by noService :

I guess this shows just how lacking resellers are when it comes to proper service. People run to Bell.

No. People go to Bell because they have no choice. Resellers aren't allowed to touch Bell's wiring and Bell's service to resellers and their clients is appalling.

Do you really think that people who choose resellers would want to deal with Bell to fix their issues if they have any other choice? Really?

This is the problem with telecommunications monopolies / duopolies. You simply cannot get a third party to come out and fix or replace the wiring that runs to your house, and if the incumbents won't fix it, you're screwed.

sunday8pm

Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
·voip.ms

1 recommendation

I second that, I am not going to signup with Bhell for my pleasure but because it is (sadly) the only way to get them to do their job and upgrade the copper lines.

If an indie calls to get a customer's line fixed, Bell will do all they can to not fix it/charge the customer/anger the customer. This way customers are tempted to say F**** it, indies suck I will go back to Bell to get proper service. Bell will say told you, we are the best and others suck and will proceed with selling a ridiculous package with conditions from 20 years ago for a ludicrous price.

Thanks Bell.

sunday8pm

Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
·voip.ms
reply to noService
said by noService :

said by sunday8pm:

So you are doing all this in order to try and prevent a 100$ diagnostic charge. Amazing.

Have you worked out the math on the low B/W usage you will get with bell, and the monthly fee (with modem rental)?

Is it really worth trying to be that cheap and trying to skim a lousy (and potential) 100$? Seriously?

I am a student so yes, every $$$ counts.

Besides, I had this 100$ charged to me once at another address because allegedly the problem was after the demarc (the cables from the pole to the demarc were falling apart, it took 5 pairs before finding a kinda working one but yeah sure).
I got charged 100$ and the tech didn't fix anything. I had to cancel, go with cable and pay twice as much for internet.

So, every opportunity I can get to make Bell pay back and do their job as they are supposed to, possibly at their own expense, I will take.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to sunday8pm
said by sunday8pm:

I see. I believe there is a law in QC that you can cancel a contract by paying 50$ at any time, provided there were no subsidized device.

The $50 is the limit for ETF.

The compensation for non-amortized inducement fees is for all the freebies you benefited from at sign-up and Bell could decide to claim the remainder of the install fee as such if they want to, which would bring the termination bill to ~$140.

sunday8pm

So the indian sales rep I talked to had no idea what he was talking about

planiwa

join:2009-02-19
Toronto M5S
kudos:1
reply to sunday8pm
[Corrections to the below appreciated]

Should one assume that Bell actually does any free rewiring beyond the Demark when you get Fibe?

Then there is the wire to the Remote.

And then, perhaps, the wire to the CO.

I know a situation where 3 years ago the customer switched from Acanac to Teksavvy. Before the switch the line was connected to the Remote just a few houses up the street. (To an infamous IKNS card After the switch the line ended up connected to the CO 3 km away (as evidenced by the attenuation). The line quality was very poor, and especially the upstream SNR was barely usable -- SNRM at 6, sync rate often around 400kbps. Often DSL would lose sync (typically after midnight) and try resyncing for up to 12 hours. The inside wiring was known to be not good.

I imagine that switching to Bell Fibe would:

1. Ensure a good line from Demark to Remote
2. Ensure conection to the Remote, of course.

So, if there was poor wiring to the Remote, this trick would fix that.

Cancelling and going back to non-fiber DSL from TSI etc. would retain the good wiring to the Remote. But the "phone" line would most likely go (back) to the CO (or?) to connect to its DSLAM (whatever).

So, in the above situation, that long, noisy wire would not get fixed by this trick.

That's how I imagine it. I may be wrong.

CopperFibre

join:2012-09-08
Montreal, QC
reply to sunday8pm
Unless you then go with Colba who has their own COs (provided you know for a fact the CO is not miles away from you).

Then you have a clean line, a clean drop and are connected to a CO not too far away.

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
said by CopperFibre:

Unless you then go with Colba who has their own COs (provided you know for a fact the CO is not miles away from you).

Colba does not have "their own COs", they rent space in Bell's COs to setup their own equipment.

CopperFibre

Montreal, QC
I didn't know that. Nevertheless, it's possible to see on their website where the CO is and get an idea of how far away it is. Plus if someone nearby has Colba they can tell you what speed they get. This is not a guarantee but it gives you a rough idea of what you can expect.

Anyway, unlimited cable is a much better alternative to DSL in my opinion because you don't depend on some shitty line that was built 60 years ago.

planiwa

Toronto M5S
reply to CopperFibre
said by CopperFibre:

Then you have a clean line, a clean drop and are connected to a CO not too far away.

I'm trying to understand -- what is meant by "line", "drop", and "then"?

As I see it, after canceling Fibe, there is no reason why the line that will then no longer go the Remote, but all the way to the CO, will be "clean" (except close to the house) or "not too far away" (is 3km (DS Atn 41dB) as in the above example considered "not too far away"?).

The only part that will remain clean is from the customer to the Remote, (or wherever it branches off towards the CO), no?

(CF example given above.)

CopperFibre

Montreal, QC
reply to sunday8pm
Not always, I've lived in flat where the inside wiring was faulty or the drop was faulty. It's less hard to have Bell fix these things when you are their own customer than when you are with a reseller

CopperFibre

Montreal, QC
reply to sunday8pm
And yes, Bell does your inside wiring past the demarc in your home for free when you subscribe for Fibe

planiwa

Toronto M5S
said by CopperFibre:

And yes, Bell does your inside wiring past the demarc in your home for free when you subscribe for Fibe

Ah! Thank you -- I didn't know that. This is very important.

Crixox

join:2010-09-10
Repentigny, QC
Reviews:
·Colbanet
reply to sunday8pm
watch out, if you get a new FIBE line installed, you might be stuck with indies not being able to place new orders anymore to install a new loop as Bell's DB might show this address is now deserved by Fibe. and can't get a "copper line" installed, even though the copper is still there.

Saw that way too often, and indies like ColbaNet stopped fighting against Bell to get this fixed, as Bell won't listen / understand ...