pfsmith

join:2006-11-16
Lafayette, IN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to NetFixer

Re: [Speed] ICSI Netalyzr Results - "Excess Buffering"

»netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/resto···287-af22

Today it's 710ms uplink buffer and 1700ms download buffer.

Despite still having it set at the 2Mbps QOS uplink speed. The "buffering" seems to fluctuate.

I'm not buying this buffering explanation. This is not "daddy bogs down the house" like the video talks about. This is me, alone, on my own connection - one PC - and having a problem even if I take out the router.

It seems to me what your saying is that if I *throttle* *myself* I won't notice that Comcast cannot actually give me what I'm paying for.

Right?

I really don't mean to be difficult. But it makes no sense to me that I cannot use the speed my connection claims to have available. It makes no sense that this just started up one day and now my connection doesn't work very well and *I* have to figure out what's wrong with it even though I haven't changed anything??

tshirt
Premium
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
I think Jason was pointing out it's not JUST your computer and your router, and comast's various routers or the other routes outside and on the return path.
It's like a firehose filling your bathtub, and you opening the drain, needing to empty it to get to the freshest water
It's each step adding it's slight delay, (and sometimes a longer delay, when EVERYBODY needs something NOW. It's the cumulative effect which many of the commerial routers handle ok load up the return path and the bottle neck being the fairly constrained equipment on your LAN (router first) can be overwhelmed by the que depth.

We have created enough layers of big buffers to keep your connection FULL for 1700ms down and 710 up so even your ACKs may appear to be lost to the server,causing resends, and keeping the que (over)full at all times.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to pfsmith
said by pfsmith:

»netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/resto···287-af22

Today it's 710ms uplink buffer and 1700ms download buffer.

Despite still having it set at the 2Mbps QOS uplink speed. The "buffering" seems to fluctuate.

I'm not buying this buffering explanation. This is not "daddy bogs down the house" like the video talks about. This is me, alone, on my own connection - one PC - and having a problem even if I take out the router.

It seems to me what your saying is that if I *throttle* *myself* I won't notice that Comcast cannot actually give me what I'm paying for.

Right?

I really don't mean to be difficult. But it makes no sense to me that I cannot use the speed my connection claims to have available. It makes no sense that this just started up one day and now my connection doesn't work very well and *I* have to figure out what's wrong with it even though I haven't changed anything??

As you have pointed out, your router only allows you to do outbound rate limiting. You need to do rate limiting in both directions in order for it to have a chance to alleviate the buffer bloat symptom.

You can "buy" the buffer bloat explanation or not; that is your decision (I suspect that your personal "daddy bogs down the house" interpretation of the video that was provided by jlivingood See Profile is why you probably don't "buy" it). The symptoms you are describing however, are classic symptoms of buffer bloat.

It has already been pointed out that the changes are occurring in devices on the internet that are beyond your direct control. Just because you did not personally make any usage or hardware changes on your own personal piece of the Internet does not mean that you can't/won't be effected by what happens on the other side of your cable modem.

All I can tell you (again) is that when I do bidirectional rate limiting to eliminate the effects of PowerBoost, and only see my sustained speed (which I don't personally consider to be getting less than I am paying for), I no longer see the effects of buffer bloat.

Good luck on finding a solution, and please let us know what you finally do to alleviate your symptoms.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.