uniqs
share rss forum feed

codydog

join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

Looking for photo scanning software & hardware

I'm trying to get a good setup to scan decades of family photos. Looking to maximize efforts, yet not give up on quality in the process. Budget is medium, but would spend extra if its a good idea.

So, I am looking for suggestions on photo scanners. I am only scanning prints, so dont need anything for negatives.

Do I need a software package to correct errors, dirt, creases?

I want to do this on a laptop, so was looking at some of the Dell outlets/auctions as a possibility. Any config that you would suggest over others?

I appreciate all help. Thanks

Laramar

join:2002-08-23
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

Some scanner options:
$52 Canon CanoScan Lide110
$59 Epson Perfection V30
$72 Canon CanoScan Lide210
$152 Canon CanoScan 9000F
$181 Epson Perfection V900

Scanners come with scanning drivers and software. To scan, you can either use the software it came with or use a photo editor like Photoshop Elements or Gimp. Irfanview will work also.

When scanning, you can scan two or more photos at a time. The scanner driver will automatically separate the photos, allowing you to save each photo separately. I have scanned 4 or more at a time.

I don't have an Epson scanner, so I don't know what software it comes with. If you end up getting a Canon, you can use the provided Canon MP Navigator EX software with ScanGear TWAIN driver to scan your photographs. (On a side note: When using MP Navigator EX, be sure to put a checkmark next to "Use the scanner driver" so that it brings up the Canon ScanGear window which allows for greater control.)

To scan photographs using a photo editor like Photoshop Elements or Gimp, you can bring up the scanner's TWAIN driver (i.e. Canon ScanGear) by clicking on File-->Import (or something similar). This method allows you to scan and edit the photos before saving to file. I used Photoshop Elements so I could save all my photos in TIF format (LZW lossless compression).

Scanner drivers, such as Canon ScanGear, allows for image corrections such as reducing dust and scratches, color fade correction, and tone adjustments. More expensive scanners, such as Canon 9000F and Epson V900, come with much better image correction control. Alternatively, Photoshop Elements has an Auto Smart Fix option for improving dull photos.

I used a Canon 210 scanner and scanned my photos using a 1200dpi setting. On a typical 5x7 photo, that resulted in roughly 6000x4000 pixels and between 25-50 MB (TIF LZW lossless). If I were to do it again, I would choose to use a 600dpi setting instead. Canon 210 is capable of 4800dpi, which would have resulted in really large files. In retrospect, the less expensive Canon 110 would have been enough for me. YMMV

Epson v30, Canon 110, and Canon 210 are powered by a USB cord, so no power cord required. Epson v900 and Canon 9000F requires a power cord.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN
kudos:1
reply to codydog
I have a Canon CanoScan 9000F and I love it. It's the best one I've used so far. The scanning software that comes with it works well.

Photoshop or Photoshop Elements works great with the canon scan software. In fact Elements comes with the scanner so you would get everything in one box.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to codydog
I am doing the same thing...

I've been loading up a 4 or 5 photos, scanning them in, copying it five times and using office 2010 photo edit to crop them into individual pics. Seems to be the most time efficient. Scanning at high res takes a few minutes.

JTM1051
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-08
Moorpark, CA
reply to codydog
Below a site that has some good scanning tips/info that may be of help:
»www.scantips.com/

codydog

join:2001-11-29
Newport, RI
Thanks for your help.

I bought the Canon 9000 and am using it with a Dell Inspiron 14, windows 7 , bought via the Dell Outlet.

Forhad

join:2012-10-03
Toronto, ON
reply to codydog
How about Epson Perfection V500. It offers high-quality scans for both prints and film and features an LED light source that eliminates warm-up time.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN
Before I bought the Canon CanoScan 9000F I had a Epson Perfection V600.

I always had problems with the Epson not matching colors. I tried different scanner programs but it became a hassle. The scan speed was the same as the Canon and it came with a copy of Photoshop Elements as well.
Expand your moderator at work