uniqs
share rss forum feed

avernar

join:2002-05-23
Mississauga, ON
reply to mozerd

Re: New Rogers HITRON CGN2-ROG -Cant Stay Online

said by mozerd:

Return the Hitron and get the CISCO DPC3825 and acquire the Netgear WNDR 4500 wireless router. Put the DPC3825 in bridge mode then connect the WNDR4500.

said by mozerd:

The Cable Modem works as well as the CISCO DPC3825 so in Bridge mode its equal.

So if the Hitron cable modem part works as well as the CISCO cable mode part in bridge mode and you want him to put the CISCO in bridge mode, why not just put the Hitron in bridge mode and use the Netgear router with it?

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
Premium,MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

said by avernar:

So if the Hitron cable modem part works as well as the CISCO cable mode part in bridge mode and you want him to put the CISCO in bridge mode, why not just put the Hitron in bridge mode and use the Netgear router with it?

My experience with the Hitron is very limited. My experience with the DPC3825 is significantly longer so I generally recommend to go with stuff that I've had longer experience with.

So yes the OP can go with the Hitron in bridge mode .... As a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem it works very well.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call
Information Technology for Home and Business

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to avernar

said by avernar:

Cisco; rock solid past performance and American made. Hitron: unheard of till last month with no proven track record. Hmmmm...tough call.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

1 edit

said by elitefx:

Cisco; rock solid past performance and American made. Hitron: unheard of till last month with no proven track record. Hmmmm...tough call.

I can no longer recommend CISCO wireless routers or most anything made by CISCO. The only exception to this is the DPC3825 -- as a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem operating in BRIDGE mode --- for now but that may change if more shenanigans surface.

The broken TRUST issue
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada

said by mozerd:

I can no longer recommend CISCO wireless routers or most anything made by CISCO. The only exception to this is the DPC3825 for now but that may change if more shenanigans surface.

You have that pretty much backwards. As a wireless router, the DPC3825 is a piece of crap. The e3000/e4200v1, on the other hand, are quite decent routers, when paired with 3rd party firmware.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

said by avernar:

Cisco's track record has been pretty abysmal lately and most of their products are manufactured in China and not in the US. Hitron has been supplying modems to many North American MSOs for quite a while now.

I'd still recommend the Cisco in bridge mode vs. the Hitron, simply for the fact that it will save you $12 a year and I don't condone giving Rogers money for a premium product that can't deliver.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

1 edit

said by yyzlhr:

I'd still recommend the Cisco in bridge mode vs. the Hitron

Agree 1000%. Better the devil you know. Anyhoo, I've always used a top of the line standalone Wireless N Gigabit Router.....I value my privacy...

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON
reply to JAC70

said by JAC70:

You have that pretty much backwards. As a wireless router, the DPC3825 is a piece of crap. The e3000/e4200v1, on the other hand, are quite decent routers, when paired with 3rd party firmware.

I agree that the as a wireless router, the DPC3825 is a piece of crap --- and I should have qualified my statement [now done as an edit]. And Yes the e3000/e4200v1, on the other hand, are quite decent routers BUT due to the broken trust issue I will not recommend or suggest that anyone acquire their products --- the only exception being the DPC3825 operating in bridge mode strictly as a DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem.
--
David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

JAC70

join:2008-10-20
canada

said by mozerd:

I agree that the as a wireless router, the DPC3825 is a piece of crap --- and I should have qualified my statement [now done as an edit]. And Yes the e3000/e4200v1, on the other hand, are quite decent routers BUT due to the broken trust issue I will not recommend or suggest that anyone acquire their products --- the only exception being the DPC3825 operating in bridge mode strictly as a DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem.

To which issue are you referring? The whole cloud and illegal use TOS thing? Yeah, that was annoying but they fixed that pretty quickly and with 3rd party firmware it's not an issue.

mozerd
Premium,MVM
Nepean, ON

»Suggested Listening....