uniqs
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

[hard drive] No Drive Information

I am working on a system that has 3 hard drives. One WDC (PATA) and two seagate (SATA). HD Tune Pro shows blank on the health check for the SATA drives. Drive check (from Seagate) doesn't even find the SATA drives but it does find the PATA drive. All drives are up and running and appear to be working fine in Win7. Is this a BIOS configuration issue? or MB issue? or a drive issue? Any ideas?

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE

Premium Member

As everything is working in Windows, more likely an issue with HD Tune. Usually a by product of how the hardware is recognized by Windows.
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

I would normally think so too, however even the seagate tools cannot see their own drive information; hence made me wonder more.
bbear2

bbear2

Premium Member

I pulled one of the SATA drives out and plugged it into another system and voila - disk information is now there. And the Drive Detect works perfectly too.

So now I'm back to that other system wondering why it won't show up there. I'm guessing it has to be something in the BIOS. Any ideas on what settings to adjust so that the drive information shows up as it should?
Expand your moderator at work

JimE
Premium Member
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL

JimE to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2

Re: [hard drive] No Drive Information

I wouldn't expect it to be a BIOS setting.

Assuming it's hardware related, I'd suspect it's an old SATA chipset. Although having said that, my old Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe board, which had an old 1st gen SATA controller, did not have this issue.

So with that in mind, I'd suspect an OS, or more likely a driver issue. As the OS, and any subsequent software are limited by the drivers.
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Turns out they are both the same OS. The only difference is the MB. I'll try to identify what the SATA chipset is and double check the drivers. Thanks for the ideas.