Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to EGeezer

Re: Smartphone apps track users even when shut down

I'm not a smartphone expert, but it seems these devices are so crippled in their internet security and user content and unsolicited connection control that they're useless for much of anything beyond taking pictures, casual email/text messages, viewing videos and uploading crap to Facebook or twitter.

If I were a business network or critical infrastructure security admin, the thought of allowing BYOD smartphones or other mobile devices access to my network would be a scary one.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

That's actually how it is now, and many of these phones tend not to get the updated firmware leaving them vulnerable to known exploits. The companies in general don't expect you to use a phone for more than one to two years, and might only get one firmware update. Even the popular iphones have this issue, but part of that is they are putting more powerful/different hardware in newer models too.

In general security is an afterthought when it comes to smartphones.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
kudos:2
reply to EGeezer

Most corporate IT depts lock these down tight for BYOD's. Including the option to remotely wipe them if lost or stolen.
--
Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it.

SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX
kudos:4
reply to BlitzenZeus

said by BlitzenZeus:

....many of these phones tend not to get the updated firmware leaving them vulnerable to known exploits.

It is not only the phone firmware that might be exploited. The FBI computers also leak data.
quote:
Hackers associated with Anonymous claim to have swiped more than 12 million Apple iPhone and iPad device identifiers from an FBI computer.
Someone using the banner of AntiSec — a 14-month-old joint operation of Anonymous and LulzSec — posted a document to Pastebin on Monday that contained links to around a million Apple unique device identifiers (UDIDs). The anonymous poster said the release was intended to highlight the FBI's alleged tracking of Apple customers.
AntiSec said the hack, which apparently exploited a Java vulnerability, yielded a CSV file containing "a list of 12,367,232 Apple iOS devices including Unique Device Identifiers (UDID), user names, name of device, type of device, Apple Push Notification Service [APNS] tokens, zipcodes, cellphone numbers, addresses, etc".

»www.zdnet.com/fbi-hack-yielded-1···0003668/
--
Breaker One Nine.