spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Josof

join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA

GW2:Warrior Thread

Wanted to hear how you other warriors were going about your builds.

5 signet warriors overpowered?

Ranged pvp builds?

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
I've been going sigil/banner route on my Level 20 warrior. He holds his own in any fight. The story has been a breeze for me so far with 3 sigil (4th on it's way) activated. I use banners when I am in groups. Other than that, I don't use anything but my weapon skills.

Josof

Virginia Beach, VA
Nice! Just hit 30. about to hit the first dungeon shortly. Going to go sword and board with a tanky trait build and def sigil and banners.

Looking forward to seeing how threat(lack of) and healing work in this game.

Warriors ftw! :P
--
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

puppy

join:2010-01-28

1 edit
reply to Josof
said by Josof:

My warrior hit 24 over the weekend and this is what I am running. I think definitely OP at lower levels but I'm already seeing my crit chance drop from 95% to 80%s. Since this does not impact PvP or even level 80 PvE, I doubt they will fix it. Meanwhile it's fun though.

Most of the guides run greatsword but I have a huge preference to double axes, which has a skill to put vulnerability on target and 2 AOEs (#2 and #5). I also don't like that greatsword whirlwind ability that you have to target, annoying in the heat of battle.

The #5 AOE practically fills up the rage bar by itself, so I usually do #4 (vulnerability on target), rage strike (tons of dmg), #5 then #2. Not many mobs live through that and you hit a ton of people around you.

BTW what makes the warrior a lot more leveling-friendly is the charge ability on the warhorn. 10second of swiftness, 20sec cooldown. Whee!

Edit: Want to give a shoutout to longbow as well. Love the AOE dps on that, I prefer it more than the warrior gun or even the ranger bows. Kinda sad actually, makes me not want to play my ranger at all :P

Josof

Virginia Beach, VA
said by puppy:

said by Josof:

My warrior hit 24 over the weekend and this is what I am running. I think definitely OP at lower levels but I'm already seeing my crit chance drop from 95% to 80%s. Since this does not impact PvP or even level 80 PvE, I doubt they will fix it. Meanwhile it's fun though.

Most of the guides run greatsword but I have a huge preference to double axes, which has a skill to put vulnerability on target and 2 AOEs (#2 and #5). I also don't like that greatsword whirlwind ability that you have to target, annoying in the heat of battle.

The #5 AOE practically fills up the rage bar by itself, so I usually do #4 (vulnerability on target), rage strike (tons of dmg), #5 then #2. Not many mobs live through that and you hit a ton of people around you.

BTW what makes the warrior a lot more leveling-friendly is the charge ability on the warhorn. 10second of swiftness, 20sec cooldown. Whee!

Edit: Want to give a shoutout to longbow as well. Love the AOE dps on that, I prefer it more than the warrior gun or even the ranger bows. Kinda sad actually, makes me not want to play my ranger at all :P

For some reason greatsword feels off to me. It does have nice AoE skills though.

Dual wielding is alot of fun as well, the only difference from your setup is i went main hand sword/off hand axe. I took sword for the bleeds and went down the trait line that enhances bleeds/crits.

Longbow is awesome. Seems like the rifle is more single target/pvp friendly. Going rifle for now because of the bleeds as well.

What do you think? it seems

Greatsword=pve aoe
2h hammer=pvp aoe

longbow=pve ranged aoes
rifle=pvp?

it doesnt really matter, its all so much fun!
--
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

puppy

I have no idea about pvp but definitely hammer/rifle seems to fit more for single targets.

Try double axes, the AOE is crazy and lots of flashing for eye candy. #5 on axe you turn into "The Last Starfighter" when he uses his mega weapon, haha ^_^

Ast1

@nayuta.nl
reply to Josof
I must be missing something. I absolutely hate Longbow and Rifle on Warrior, both feel so slow and clunky it puts me off ever using them especially when I have a Ranger who just seems so much better with his bows.

As for Warrior, yeah they are crazy strong at lower lvls but it has no real impact later on so just enjoy it. I use Greatsword but that's because bizarrely I haven't actually got any axes yet. I like the GS, ut Hundred Blades locking me in place is annoying

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
reply to Josof
I personally use 1H Mace + 1H Axe, so I get the mace for stuns, then axe for AOE + dmg output. I'm running 5 sigils now and my crit is still ~95% with my traits in arms.

puppy

Hmm I'm 28 and my crits is already going down to 80s. I only have 10 points in arms though, I'm putting the next 10 points in the first trait line so I can get 12% more damage when my adrenaline bar is full.

As for the bow/rifle, yar I don't like the rifle on the warrior, but the longbow has 2 AOEs which I like (#2 and the adrenaline one). On the ranger you only have barrage which has a long recharge, and the shortbow is more single target. I find myself lamenting that the ranger longbow isn't more like the warrior's, because I would like to have a tanking pet.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to Josof
ADRENALINE RISING... THAT'S THE STUFF

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
Ya'll make my guardian look so boring....That's it I quit my guardian. I don't care if he's 60!

TheThing

I don't know man... guardian looks pretty pimpin too

with your shadow sword or whatever

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
Stop lying to me!!! I know people just want me to heal at 80! lol.

TheThing

actually i just wanted to use you for your bubble... but i'll take healing too...

TheThing

reply to I AM
next toon will be mesmer... once i get my warrior to 80

I AM
Premium
Ephrata, PA
I'm jelly of Mystics as well. I hate fighting a mystic in pvp when they do that dumb clone thing. Who am I fightin'!?

Josof

Virginia Beach, VA
reply to I AM
said by I AM:

Stop lying to me!!! I know people just want me to heal at 80! lol.

lmao, my cousin tells me we just use him for his bubble-heals.
--

Josof

Virginia Beach, VA
reply to Josof
Just ran AC for the first time. Im very happy warriors have viable ranged options. Found myself switching back and forth to melee as the situation dictated.

The Ranger boss(forgot the name) and the final boss, i mostly stayed ranged.

the ranger boss ports around like Arugal in SFK(WoW) and the king boss is like the final boss in Lightning Halls(WoW) with a massive aoe
--

Josof

Virginia Beach, VA
reply to Josof
I've started playing a support warrior in dungeon runs.
Went sword/warhorn with a rifle swap and traited mostly Def.

With all the boons and personal survivability it has made dungeon runs alot easier for the group. Its hard to get out of that warrior tank or dps mindset but support and control is a different kind of fun.

also swapped a bolo/fear me utility for even more support when stuff gets hairy.

Removing conditions on allies and instilling Weakness to enemies on short cooldowns=win
--

puppy

reply to Josof
BTW what races do you guys think look the best for a warrior? While asurans are cute (my casters are all morphing into those little guys), I think they are too small for their armor to look distinguished and sexy.

I have a charr warrior but my altitis is eyeing him for a remake. I saw the charr warrior armor and it's all super spiky... :P

Josof

Virginia Beach, VA
i rolled a human male, but the Norn look pretty badass with a nice heavy armor set.

puppy

Yar I agree. I think all the warrior/guardians that had me stop and gawk were norn male warriors. They run like boulders rolling backwards though, so slow, so I compromised and made a female norn, so beautiful ^_^

I first made her the shortest possible then felt like she was too short, then made her the tallest possible... now she's a freaking giant when I went to the human question zone, like 30% taller than NPCs there. An asura comes up to my thigh. Since she's blond I keep comparing her to Brigette Nielsen when I first saw her in Beverly Hills Cop 2 (really dating myself) XD

Josof

Virginia Beach, VA
said by puppy:

Since she's blond I keep comparing her to Brigette Nielsen when I first saw her in Beverly Hills Cop 2 (really dating myself) XD

Have you ever seen Red Sonja? :P
--

puppy

Yar, but she is a red head there, and didn't seem so epic tall in that movie.

My new Brigette Nielsen warrior is doing well, hit 21 last night. I do like her look more. Norn female seems to run faster than norn males, and no molasses loping animation of the charr. I did feel kind of bad when I went on my charr warrior to spend his karma on food ingredient vendors to get ready to delete him, he is a handsome fella.

So far I am leveling cooking (I love cooking, so fun and useful) and armorsmithing for my warrior. My amazon 8 feet tall woman making a pie and forcing people to eat it

Right now every 5 levels I make a whole new set of armor for her then buy new weapons (I love dual axes, although later traits for great sword seems to good to ignore) and runes/sigils off the TP. Seems to be working well. Seems to be enough to level 25 points of crafting as well, so if this keeps up, I would hit 375 as I hit level 80.

BTW I know I can get the jotun greatsword skin off a karma heart vendor in Snowden area, but are there other low level great skins? Maybe I can buy a charr greatsword off the TP.

Also at the end level, if I don't plan on forging my legendaries or run dungeons or PvP (I'm just a pve kind of casual player), am I doomed to sucky skins? Last night an elementalist dropped a conjured fiery greatsword and I would *love* that.

malem83

join:2006-08-25
Quebec, QC
reply to Josof
You can buy any high-end armor or weapon and transmute them into armors/weapons or you level.

I didn't notice a lot of choice while leveling though. Looking at karma vendor seems the best way of getting different looks during levling process.
--
La vie continue ... / Life goes on ...

puppy

reply to Josof
My warrior princess just hit 40 last night. Highest alt I have since she is so easy mode (well, at least buy her dinner!)

For anyone starting a new warrior, the easiest leveling spec is the signet crit build. Basically you go 10 points into arms to get the "Deep Strike" trait (Gain +40 precision for each unused signet you have equipped) and put signets (dolyak, fury, might, rage, mending) in all your slots. At low levels this amount of precision = ridiculous amounts of crit chance, so you just mow down any mobs you reach.

After these first 10 trait points, what I am planning on doing is:

•10 points into tactics for "Empowered Allies", you get that 70 power as well. Only shows up in combat though. The vitality is nice so I'm not so fragile.
•5 points into defense for "Thick Skin" (100 toughness when life is over 90%", then 15 points for "Adrenal Health" (regen based on your adrenaline) later.
•10 points into strength for 12% more damage on 3 bars of adrenaline.
•10 points into Discipline for Heightened Focus, 9% more crit% on full adrenaline (my crit % is already falling off from the high 90s in level 20 to 60? in level 40 due to diminishing returns of 40 precision points per signet).

I personally run "For Greater Justice" in place of the might signet. You get about the same power but also 8 sec of 20% crit, and good to support groups in DEs (although usually there's a few other warriors shouting the same thing).

Be warned though that there is hate on the forums for this noob build because it is selfish and dies too easily in dungeons (which I don't do), so use something else more sturdy and support in groups I guess.

I use dual axes, although eventually the traits that give you might stacks on greatsword crit and 10% more damage on greatsword will probably force me to go that way. I like axes more because the #5 skill is a true 360 degree AOE. Greatswords do look much better though, I haven't seen any axe models that I like (I want a fiery axe with trailing flames, dammit)

Keep your gear up to date. I used to make my own gear but ran out of iron so now I just buy a new set every 5/10 levels. Weapons I just upgrade every 5. Probably overkill tbh, leveling so fast. I also rune for more vitality/toughness, not just power/crit, so I don't eat dirt much at all.

Finally, another reason why I love the warrior is the swiftness she has. On my weapon swap is the warhorn, so you can have 10 seconds of swiftness out of 20 seconds. Once you get the signet of rage, that gives you 30 seconds (60s CD). You can press SoR and get the 30 secs then blow warhorn right away, the durations stack (so now you have 40s). 20 seconds later you can blow warhorn again, repeat then hit SoR again. Truly amazing for exploring the map.

TheThing

reply to Josof
just remembered how much I DONT miss rooted combat in Tera

puppy

said by TheThing:

rooted combat

Plants vs Zombies? XD

TheThing

at least in that game rooted combat is awesome

TheThing

reply to Josof
So right now I'm running with Greatsword build:

+10% GS damage
-20% GS skill CD
+12% damage on full rage bar
GS crit applies vulnerability
33% on crit to apply bleed
33% on crit to apply vulnerability
+30% Boon duration
-20% shout CD
Shouts heal

freakin beast. Vitality tree gives more life, more regen, and more DPS. I can't see any reason to go down the toughness tree.

slight overlap with 33% crit applies vulnerability. But I keep this because I switch to dual axes during events. where axes 5 does spin to win, which registers more hits when many mobs, resulting in more drops, and its not rooted like GS HB.

GS > axes for champion and veteran mobs however, for dps with HB

using/spamming shouts to apply boons and heal to teammates, i use very few signets