Premium Member

to siljaline

Re: 1 million Ipad & Iphone records stolen from feds & posted

Statement on Alleged Compromise of FBI Laptop
Washington, D.C.
September 04, 2012

FBI National Press Office
(202) 324-3691
The FBI is aware of published reports alleging that an FBI laptop was compromised and private data regarding Apple UDIDs was exposed. At this time, there is no evidence indicating that an FBI laptop was compromised or that the FBI either sought or obtained this data.

»www.fbi.gov/news/pressre ··· i-laptop

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

StuartMW

Premium Member

Well when the gummint categorically denies something three times you know it's true

Sorta like waving your finger and saying
quote:
I did NOT have sex with THAT woman!

Technically true but not the full story...
Expand your moderator at work

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

Here is the second finger..

On Twitter, the FBI was even more blunt:

Statement soon on reports that one of our laptops with personal info was hacked. We never had info in question. Bottom Line: TOTALLY FALSE

Of course, tinfoil-hatters will remind the world “they would say that, wouldn’t they?”, but it’s now over to AntiSec to back its claim.

Meanwhile, trawling the database of UUIDs, Cultofmac is making the extraordinary and probably unprovable claim that President Obama's UUID is among those on the list leaked by AntiSec.

That claim comes from a PasteHTML search on the UUIDs (which page, by the way, allows anyone to check if their UUID was leaked). Exactly how the search conclusively ties the named device to the Leader of the Free World isn't exactly clear to El Reg.

»www.theregister.co.uk/20 ··· _claims/

KrK
Heavy Artillery For The Little Guy
Premium Member
join:2000-01-17
Tulsa, OK

KrK to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
Deny, Deny, Deny!

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game
FBI Says Laptop Wasn’t Hacked; Never Possessed File of Apple Device IDs
quote:
The Federal Bureau of Investigation is refuting a statement made by members of AntiSec this weekend that they hacked the laptop of an FBI special agent and stole a file containing 12 million Apple device IDs and associated personal information.

The FBI also said it did not possess a file containing the data the hackers said they stole.

In a statement released Tuesday afternoon, the FBI said, “The FBI is aware of published reports alleging that an FBI laptop was compromised and private data regarding Apple UDIDs was exposed. At this time there is no evidence indicating that an FBI laptop was compromised or that the FBI either sought or obtained this data.”

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

»Re: 1 million Ipad & Iphone records stolen from feds & posted

We already woke the boys up earlier and they gave a statement.

StuartMW
Premium Member

StuartMW to KrK

Premium Member

to KrK

That makes three! It must be true!

EGeezer
Premium Member
join:2002-08-04
Midwest

EGeezer to Name Game

Premium Member

to Name Game

said by FBI article :

At this time, there is no evidence indicating that an FBI laptop was compromised or that the FBI either sought or obtained this data.

Looks like carefully chosen wording. Having watched a few LEO interviews on TV and elsewhere, a suspect will say "there;s no proof I did it"

Apple issues its own carefully worded statement;

In a statement delivered to AllThings's John Paczkowski by Apple spokesperson Natalie Kerris, the company explained that it wasn’t the source of any UDIDs the FBI may have been stockpiling.

That still leaves Apple itself as a possible source, just not through the FBI;

»techcrunch.com/2012/09/0 ··· -to-fbi/

Yet the stuff is out there.

*poof* it appears magically from no source.

StuartMW
Premium Member

1 edit

StuartMW

Premium Member

said by EGeezer:

*poof* it appears magically from no source.

Well really I hardly expect the FBI to issue a press statement.

"Our bad. You caught us. Yeah we've been hacking into iPhones for years. We promise not to do it again."

Oh and the NSA Bob should also issue a statement.

"Yeah we really do monitor all your electronic communications. Take it Bitches!"

Oh, and while I'm waiting for those two press releases I want my $5 (or whatever the going rate is) from the Tooth Fairy.