uniqs

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870 to Radisc359

to Radisc359

Re: Defective SB6141 Modem?

said by Radisc359:

While I was sleeping it seems that my modem switched channels from 741MHz and 36MHz to 735MHz and 32MHz and when I checked the logs I got one 'T4 timeout' and two 'SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync' errors. Clearly something is very wrong, I'm going to to have Tier 3 check on my arris modem for the same errors since I cannot get into it myself. Here is a picture:

no those T4 timeouts and SYNC Timing errors are normal when your modem switches channels on the downstream or upstream. Likely your area is using loadbalancing and your modem got reset overnight due to maintenance and the modem rebooted into 735MHz downstream and 32MHz upstream. You might have had DOCSIS 3.0 work going on at that time of night last night as TWC is trying to get almost 100% coverage of DOCSIS 3.0 by the end of the year.
Radisc359
join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

1 edit

Radisc359

Ah, well there is nothing about Fremont, or even Lincoln on the network status page, but they did finally upgrade to the new navigator last week, and I was told by the office sometime in September for Docsis 3, but I won't believe it until I see it. EDIT: Also both modems went out, seems to be something with TWC itself.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by Radisc359:

Ah, well there is nothing about Fremont, or even Lincoln on the network status page, but they did finally upgrade to the new navigator last week, and I was told by the office sometime in September for Docsis 3, but I won't believe it until I see it. EDIT: Also both modems went out, seems to be something with TWC itself.

I am pretty sure if both of your modems went out either the CMTS was being worked on or a new firmware was pushed out but since one modem is a motorola and the other an arris I am going to bet CMTS maintenance.
Radisc359
join:2010-10-02
Fremont, NE

2 edits

Radisc359

Well I got another "SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Loss of Sync" on Sep 20 2012 15:40:09.

It now shows 0 dBmV(was 2to4dbmv before) even after rebooting, anyone ever seen this? I've read that they could have turned off the measurement of the downstream signal level.
EDIT 9-22: seems to be all modems in my city, not just mine, hmmm it looks like my signal really is 0 now, interesting, but it did move up to 1dBmV.
Radisc359

Radisc359

I wonder if my issues with my SB6141 are due to noise, I woke up today and checked my arris mta and my snr is 27, I've checked all wiring on the inside and no problems there and even hooked up my now unused SB6141 to a different port on the splitter and yeah the snr is still 27! I also had 13% correctables, I checked that with tier 3 today. I find it funny how my signal is 1dBmV and 43dBmV with an SNR of 27, while the only noticeable issue is speedtests come out lower, TWC is coming out Monday to fix it.

Fleeced
join:2012-10-06

Fleeced to Radisc359

to Radisc359
Just an FYI: your downstream power is supposed to be within the range of -10db and 10db. 0 is "perfect" for downstream strength.