spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Scelana
join:2012-09-05
Green River, UT

Scelana

Adsl2+ Filter help

I have a adsl2+ account with my local phone company Emery Telcom and they keep giving me adsl approved filters instead of adsl2+ ones. I've tried researching online for a compatible filter but I keep getting results for non usa countries mainly the uk. The phone jack that supplies my phone is in a totally different room than the modem's phone jack. What usa compatible adsl2+ filter is recommended that I purchase to remedy my situation?

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

Welcome to BBR.

So what happens when you use the ADSL filter the ISP gave you? Does it work?

ADSL2+ is able to use higher frequencies then ADSL to deliver higher speed over very short loops. ADSL2+ uses frequencies up to 2.2Mhz whereas ADSL and ADSL2 go up to 1.1Mhz. The maximum loop distance to get additional speed is only 8,000 feet so they may not even be using the + features.

Since they gave you the filter one must assume the stop band goes up to the higher limit or the ISP is not using the short distance modes. From other posts here ordinary ADSL filters work just fine.

/tom

Scelana
Green River, UT

Scelana

Ever since I installed the new filter they provided me I've been having trouble keeping anywhere near the 10mb that I've been told I'd get and its not a variable speed type line or anything. I've gone as low as just shy of 2mb at times. I'm going to have them come out and test my line but I need to make sure that its nothing on my end 1st and unfortunately that also counts the filters since that's past their box outside my house and its cheaper for me to buy another filter that I know will suffice instead of being charged $55 for them to come out and then so much per hour which counts even if they are there for just 5 minutes and so much for the filter. I don't live near enough to where I can go to them to just purchase another filter from them so easily. I do plan to upgrade to the 20mb connection early next year though. If i don't need a adsl2+ filter and a adsl will suffice I still need to find a decent one to acquire. I'm still reading up bout adsl/adsl2+ and the particulars bout it so I'm still new to it hehe.

Thankyou for reading and responding to my posts.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

Have you tried connecting the modem directly to the NID test jack with no filter and then with.

If either way its not working right there then it is their problem.
If its with only the filters bad... then that's the problem.

Even if nid close enough for a 25ft phone ext cord to reach should also tell.

tschmidt
MVM
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Scelana

MVM

to Scelana
As Hayward0 See Profile posted connect the modem directly to the NID test jack. If stats are different then when connected normally something within your residence is degrading speed.

How are you determining speed? To see if problem is with the DSL circuit check modem stats. Check Sync rate and margin.

If those look good try doing traceroute (tracert in Windows) to stable sites like this one. Latency should slowly increase with distance and hop count. Sudden unexplained jump usually indicates a problem with that or the previous hop. Your ISP may be experiencing congestion somewhere within their network that has nothing to do with the physical DSL circuit.

/tom

Scelana
Green River, UT

Scelana

I think the filter they recently gave me is not functioning correctly since if the phone rings or is picked up there is a 75% chance the modem will lose its connection.
I've got the login for my modem so can I look up everything the stats page provides which also includes the the speed my modem is currently connected in Kbps. The snr margin has been high enough to allow for above the rate I pay for but yet my connection rate will be at times far below that rate although at times before I dc it goes to the negative values.
I might be able to connect the modem to the test jack but I'm gonna need more than a 25ft cable cause my modem is upstairs and the phone box is outside on the lower floor opposite of the window of the modem's room. I'll see if I can do that and post about the results if I can find a long enough cable.
I'm also planning on replacing the modem's phone jack including the wiring since its really old and uses old phone wires that the techs don't recognize (the house is from around 1902 so the wiring in it is pretty old) just to make sure it don't become a problem in the future provided it isn't already.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by Scelana:

I might be able to connect the modem to the test jack but I'm gonna need more than a 25ft cable cause my modem is upstairs and the phone box is outside on the lower floor opposite of the window of the modem's room. I'll see if I can do that and post about the results if I can find a long enough cable.

An alternative if you have a laptop, or wifi is to take the modem and laptop or router out to the box and use an AC ext cord for power.

If the jack/wiring is that ancient as you describe that well may be the problem.

Scelana
Green River, UT

Scelana

I just recently replaced the old modem's phonejack with a brand new one and proper wiring for it (category wiring), and even double checked the wiring for the other phonejack in the house to make sure it wasn't messed up or something. I am still having high levels of static on the line and I'm still having connection issues. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to connect the modem to the test jack and other connector in the box to see what is exactly the problem. I would prefer it to be the box vs the line though cause it could take them quite some time for them to dig up the lines and replace them.

tschmidt
MVM
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt

MVM

said by Scelana:

I am still having high levels of static on the line and I'm still having connection issues. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to connect the modem to the test jack and other connector in the box to see what is exactly the problem.

Never hurts to clean up inside wiring, but the definitive test is connecting.

How did that turn out?

/tom

interlync
join:2002-07-30
Chicago, IL

interlync to Scelana

to Scelana
Have you tried running without those phones plugged in. Check the status page on your modem/router for errors (NO incrementing errors) and margins (Higher dB margins are better) while unplugging phones around your home. You may be able to find one of the phones or filters causing this issue on your lines.