uniqs
blacknoi
join:2004-11-06
Stanhope, NJ

blacknoi to Bob4

to Bob4

Re: [iO] New Jersey All Digital

said by Bob4:

If your TV has a QAM tuner, you should still get the Broadcast Basic channels without a box.

I specifically asked that when I called customer service a week ago. The woman put me on hold and said I would get NO channels in clear QAM. I'm on the morris system.

I'm not saying she was right, but thats what she said.
rick0204
join:2009-05-20
North Bergen, NJ

rick0204

My area just went all digital. One of my Tv's has no box and I get all the digital channels - 2.1, 4.1, 5.1, etc. The cable reps always say that you need a box to view any channels. This is only true if you have an old SD TV.

SirQAM
@verizon.net

SirQAM to blacknoi

Anon

to blacknoi
said by blacknoi:

said by Bob4:

If your TV has a QAM tuner, you should still get the Broadcast Basic channels without a box.

I specifically asked that when I called customer service a week ago. The woman put me on hold and said I would get NO channels in clear QAM. I'm on the morris system.

I'm not saying she was right, but thats what she said.

Per current FCC regulations: No cable TV providers can encrypt the basic tier inclusive of ALL broadcast television stations. The only exception exists within the New York City boroughs of Queens and Brooklyn where Cablevision secured a waiver due to their assertions of signal theft from phone and internet only customers.

To blacknoi: I recommend you connect the Cable TV directly to the input of a TV with a QAM tuner. Then perform a full channel scan. Chances are if the TV can receive digital channels using an antenna, it can also receive Clear QAM.

Of course, it is in Cablevision's financial interest to encourage their subscribers to have a converter on every TV, even if the representatives provide vague answers to customers questions that would confuse a lay person.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

said by SirQAM :

Per current FCC regulations: No cable TV providers can encrypt the basic tier inclusive of ALL broadcast television stations. The only exception exists within the New York City boroughs of Queens and Brooklyn where Cablevision secured a waiver due to their assertions of signal theft from phone and internet only customers.

Correct, but it does not appear that will be the case for much longer since it appears the FCC is going to allow encryption of basic. I suspect that is why Cablevision is talking about having a DTA available within a year since with a DTA they can make a more persuasive argument that the customer is not being disadvantaged.

»www.bloomberg.com/news/2 ··· als.html

»www.zdnet.com/fcc-to-all ··· 0003483/

StudioTech
Off The Air
join:2001-10-10
Edison, NJ

StudioTech to SirQAM

to SirQAM
It's actually the Bronx, not Queens that CV services.

SirQAM
@verizon.net

SirQAM

Anon

said by StudioTech:

It's actually the Bronx, not Queens that CV services.

Thank you for clarifying, StudioTech. I stand corrected.