share rss forum feed view:
normal

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:64

[TiVo] TiVo access to XFINITY On Demand

Signed up for e-mail alerts and got a notice this morning that Tivo access to Xfinity Ondemand has hit Colorado:

TiVo Premiere DVRs work with Comcast in all regions and now have access to XFINITY On Demand in the following areas:

Colorado
Fresno CA
New England/Boston Area
Portland OR & Southwest WA
Sacramento CA
San Francisco Bay Area
Santa Barbara CA

»www3.tivo.com/products/source/ca···dex.html

taylor0987

join:2001-11-19
Baltimore, MD

That's great news that it is expanding. As soon as it comes to my area, Baltimore, MD, I will be selling my HD and get a Premiere.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:6

Looks like Comcast customers now/will have a choice - lease a Comcast box with the X1 guide/interface or purchase a TiVo with their interface. From the comments on the Comcast Help and Support Forum about the X1 (»Awful Reviews on the Comcast Forums), it sounds like most people may be better off going with a TiVo (interface) box.

Comcast, TiVo Blaze Different Set-Top Paths
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - October 1, 2012
»www.lightreading.com/document.as···lr_cable

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
reply to netcool

It appears that 4 more areas have just been added to that list (»www3.tivo.com/products/source/ca···_comcast ):

Minnesota*
Seattle/Tacoma, WA
Kansas City, MO
Olathe, KS

* XFINITY On Demand is currently not available in all areas of this region.

EDIT: Also, an article on the Zatz Not Funny! site: »www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-10/xfi···nvasion/

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west

1 edit

I am In the Tacoma Wa area. I just checked my zip code and it is stating that it is available.

Edit to add Ichecked my tivo last night and it was avaible. Checked some programs on demand and it is working.
--
Caddy

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

The latest list (»www3.tivo.com/products/source/ca···_comcast) now shows "Western Washington*" replacing only "Seattle/Tacoma, WA" and "Southwest WA" plus a few more areas now have asterisks (*).

Here's the list of areas as of this morning:

Colorado*
Fresno, CA
Minnesota*
New England/Boston Area*
Portland, OR
Sacramento, CA
San Francisco Bay Area
Santa Barbara, CA
Western Washington*
Kansas City, MO*
Olathe, KS

* XFINITY On Demand is currently not available in all areas of this region.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to netcool

The list now includes NJ and some other areas as well.

Also the zip code notification isn't exactly accurate. XFINITY On Demand started working for me on Friday, but when I put my zip code in, it's says it's not available in my area.

On a side note, I figured I'd return my HD cable box since I don't need it any more (and On Demand actually works better on my TiVo), but I was told it wouldn't change my bill and I'd still be charged a "HD tech fee". As such, I simply put it in my closet.
--
The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by Morac:

The list now includes NJ and some other areas as well.

Also the zip code notification isn't exactly accurate. XFINITY On Demand started working for me on Friday, but when I put my zip code in, it's says it's not available in my area.

Yes, here are the latest additions/changes, with "Seattle/Tacoma, WA" being added back to "Western Washington":

New Jersey*
Pittsburgh, PA/Tri-State Area*
Seattle/Tacoma, WA & Western WA*
Western MD

* XFINITY On Demand is currently not available in all areas of this region

And yes, that ZIP code checker is a bit strange, as when I entered the ZIP code for Lincroft, NJ (07738), I got the "Unfortunately XFINITY On Demand on TiVo Premiere DVRs is not available in the area you entered" response, but when I entered the one for Middletown Township (07748) [which Lincroft is a section of], I then got the "Congratulations! XFINITY On Demand is available on TiVo Premiere DVRs in your area" response!

As far as I know, both areas/ZIP codes are serviced by the same Eatontown, NJ office/headend.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

FYI - Here are the latest additions to the list (»www3.tivo.com/products/tivo-walk···_comcast ):

Indiana*
Miami, FL/South Florida*
Philadelphia, PA

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
reply to Morac

said by Morac:

On a side note, I figured I'd return my HD cable box since I don't need it any more (and On Demand actually works better on my TiVo), but I was told it wouldn't change my bill and I'd still be charged a "HD tech fee". As such, I simply put it in my closet.

You WILL (still) be charged that HD tech fee (assuming the pkg your on does NOT include it in the base rate), but you should be able to get a monthly rebate for using your own Tivo box: (usually around $2.50)

»www.comcast.com/equipmentpolicy/···ect=true

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to netcool

TiVo is having a "no upfront cost" sale on refurbished, original 320GB version TiVo Premieres: »www3.tivo.com/promo/premiere_0.html

"Get a TiVo Premiere 320GB DVR for no upfront cost when you purchase a monthly subscription to the TiVo service for two years at $19.99 per month, plus tax."

If you don't plan on saving a lot of programs and just mostly timeshift, the 45 hours of HD capacity may be no problem then.

The latest TiVo Premiere model has a 500GB drive, allowing up to 75 hours of HD programming to be saved.

Caddyroger
Premium
join:2001-06-11
To the west

For about $75.00 you could install a 1tb hard drive it.
--
Caddy

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by Caddyroger:

For about $75.00 you could install a 1tb hard drive in it.

Yeah, it's a tempting deal, as the new Premiere model, with 75 hours of HD capacity (»www3.tivo.com/store/premiere.do), costs $149.99 right now, and doing what you say would provide 150 hours of HD capacity for 1/2 the price.

See: »www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh···t=370784

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

A news item today about Pace deploying an XG1 gateway that runs TiVo's user interface sometime next year:

Rogers: TiVo-Pace integration will be completed in 2013
Solution will be more cost effective than Premiere, says CEO

By Steve Donohue, FierceCable - November 29, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/story/rogers···12-11-29

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

An article on the Multichannel News site today about TiVo having deals with several of the largest cable companies in the U.S.:

Rogers: TiVo's an 'Underdog' Just Like Tim Tebow
CEO Says Company Has Turned Around Its Standing With Cable Operators

By Todd Spangler, Multichannel News - December 6, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/cable-opera···w/140575

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

A report on the Zatz Not Funny! blog site today that TiVo has renewed their relationship with Wal-mart, who will begin carrying the TiVo Premiere DVR:

TiVo’s Tebow Ads Hit, DVRs Return To Walmart
By Dave Zatz, Zatz Not Funny! - December 7, 2012
»www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-12/tiv···walmart/

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

FYI - Some news on the next generation of TiVo on the Zatz Not Funny! blog site:

Next Gen TiVo Remote To Feature Audible Alerts
By Dave Zatz, Zatz Not Funny! - December 16, 2012
»www.zatznotfunny.com/2012-12/nex···-alerts/

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

1 edit

Today's latest news - TiVo to bring Spotify to TiVo Premieres:

Couch Potatoes Rejoice: Spotify Lands On TiVo’s Premiere Series DVRs
By Chris Velazco, TechCrunch - December 18, 2012
»techcrunch.com/2012/12/18/couch-···es-dvrs/

EDIT: An article on this also on the FierceCable site: »www.fiercecable.com/story/tivo-l···12-12-18

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

Might as well have not bothered, I'm not paying for Spotify and most people don't so I'm not getting the point here.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

An item on the Zatz Not Funny! blog site about TiVo having a large number of different promotions and upgrade offers right now:

One Bazillion TiVo Deals. And Counting
By Dave Zatz, Zatz Not Funny! - January 23, 2013
»www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-01/one···ounting/

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

FYI - Just noticed the latest additions/changes to the XFINITY On Demand list (»www3.tivo.com/products/tivo-walk···dex.html), with "Western MD" being changed to "Maryland*" now:

Maryland*
Michigan*
Washington DC
West Virginia*
Virginia*

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3

I see that New Jersey* is listed for partial support but still don't see any updates as to when the entire state will be supported.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Right now I would have said to use the Zip Code "Look up" on that page to check different areas in NJ, but it still doesn't seem very accurate.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

I know that when I tried other states it worked. What sucks is that I just got my TiVo set back up and been looking forward to the on demand stuff

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ
reply to netcool

FYI - The new "TiVo Mini" DVR extender box that TiVo officially launched today »pr.tivo.com/press-releases/tivo-···o-994989 is supposed to work with Comcast's XFINITY On Demand service.

A review of it can be seen on the Zatz Not Funny! blog site: »www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-03/tiv···-review/

Morac
Cat god

Riverside, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by telcodad:

FYI - The new "TiVo Mini" DVR extender box that TiVo officially launched today »pr.tivo.com/press-releases/tivo-···o-994989 is supposed to work with Comcast's XFINITY On Demand service.

A review of it can be seen on the Zatz Not Funny! blog site: »www.zatznotfunny.com/2013-03/tiv···-review/

It uses the host TiVo Premiere for all tuner related activity so it simply uses the Premiere's tuner for XFINITY On Demand. In other words if the Premiere can do XFINITY On Demand, then so can the Mini.
--
Get the DSLR Firefox Extension.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

Yes, and there's now an article on the Multichannel News site specifically about Comcast's support for it:

Comcast Shoots VOD to Retail TiVo Minis
MSO Offers Xfinity On Demand Service to TiVo’s $99 IP-Based DVR Client Box

By Todd Spangler, Multichannel News - March 11, 2013
»www.multichannel.com/cable-opera···s/142132

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Morac

said by Morac:

It uses the host TiVo Premiere for all tuner related activity so it simply uses the Premiere's tuner for XFINITY On Demand. In other words if the Premiere can do XFINITY On Demand, then so can the Mini.

...and on the flip side, if the Premiere CAN'T do Xfinity on Demand, neither can the Mini.

A lot of us with the two tuner TiVo's are still hoping for a software update to allow the Mini to use Ethernet streaming instead of relying on a tuner which would leave us with only one functional tuner left.
--
I'm always up for a good chat and helping with VoIP testing so my contact info is below.
Gigaset.net: Michael Wolf
Callcentric: 17772288600
SIP URI: sip:226976325024#9@sip.gigaset.net and sip:17772288600@in.callcentric.com

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

Ethernet streaming of what, live TV? That requires a tuner. The software update is to allow the tuner to be allocated dynamically which could allow it to be used with a 2-tuner box as needed without forcing one to be assigned to the Mini. A tuner is still required no matter what.

Xfinity VOD won't require a tuner from the Premiere, it's IPTV.

Morac
Cat god

Riverside, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by GTFan:

Xfinity VOD won't require a tuner from the Premiere, it's IPTV.

That's incorrect. Xfinity VOD on TiVO is not IPTV.

Xfinity VOD on the Premiere works the same way it does on Comcast's own boxes. The only difference is that TiVo boxes use the Internet for a return channel where as cable boxes use a DOCSIS modem QAM return channel.

The Premiere requests a program via an Internet gateway. The server assigns a QAM channel for the stream and tells the Premiere what channel to tune to.

At that point all video/audio goes through the QAM channel, while control and feedback is done via the Internet (TCP/IP).
--
Get the DSLR Firefox Extension.