spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shtarker

join:2012-09-05
Westfield, NJ

ISP - Northern NJ -Any Ideas?

I'm a newbie on this board so please be gentle....
--------
I live in northern NJ (near EWR).

I'm having problems making ends meet and looking to dump cable, hang a Leaf HD antenna and go HDMI.
------
The price of current (FIOS) Internet alone is almost the same as with currently added CTV ($80!)

Looking for another ISP....nearly impossible to compare all rates and plans and find something that is reliable. Looked at dsl report but spotty information.
-----
I need something super reliable (if that's possible) because I use Republic Wireless smartphone.

Any help greatly appreciated.
---
Thanks in advance.

TheMole

join:2001-12-06
USA
dial up is free with ads. i'd suggest that in your situation. good luck. hope things turn around for you.

»www.all-free-isp.com/908-area-co ··· code.php
--
(1) It's either 99¢ or $0.99; not .99¢ (2) It's "so MUCH fun" not "so fun"

shtarker

Westfield, NJ
Thanks Mole....here's the thing....I have NO home phone (use WIFI or VOIP) so dial up isn't a possibility.

Need WIFI isp.

Mostly for email sending/receiving, internet surfing and occasional Netflix, Hulu, YouTube.

Reliability is a concern.

What do you use up in your neck of the woods?

shtarker

Westfield, NJ
reply to TheMole
Thanks Mole....here's the thing....I have NO home phone (use WIFI or VOIP) so dial up isn't a possibility.

Need WIFI isp.

Mostly for email sending/receiving, internet surfing and occasional Netflix, Hulu, YouTube.

Reliability is a concern.

What do you use up in your neck of the woods?
Expand your moderator at work

Irun Man
Premium
join:2002-10-18
Walden, NY
reply to shtarker

this might help

»www.fiercecable.com/story/cablev ··· 11-11-09

Many ISOs have unadvertised low bandwidth plans, just call and ask. Netflix won't be HD at that speed, but it does work.
--
I turned on my computer for this?

shtarker

Westfield, NJ
Great idea but unfortunately one must prove that you are below poverty level. Although it sometimes feels like that for me and my family we pay for school lunch!
======
I'm at the starting point one more once.
-----------
Everyone talks about "cutting your cable bill" but I can't see really how for someone already WITHOUT premium channels (HBO, Showtime, etc.) $$$$$ can be saved.

I now get dozens of, albeit mostly useless, HD and non-HD channels with Fios. It's ridiculous to be so penny foolish to buy and hang an HD antenna to get a tiny fraction of them to save merely $10 per month.

What am I missing?

What do other people with NO home telephone do to "beat the system"????????????

THANKS!
Expand your moderator at work

cferro

join:2003-07-27
Jersey City, NJ
reply to shtarker

Re: this might help

I have a friend in NJ, who is a cellphone person. She left cable service behind, and now has Direct TV, with DSL service from Verizon. She uses the phone line to power her fax machine.

shtarker

Westfield, NJ
Thanks!

Why Direct TV or any cable?

Phone line as a dedicated fax line?

Is Verizon DSL, even if it delivers the speed it promises, anywhere close to being fast enough to stream movies, etc.? (.5-1 or 1.1.-15)

There 2 plans are outlined here.....probably extra costs in the details.
»www22.verizon.com/home/highspeed ··· t/plans/

wirelessdog

join:2008-07-15
Queen Anne, MD
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to shtarker

Re: ISP - Northern NJ -Any Ideas?

Those plans, as with all Verizon DSL, now require you to have home phone service as well. There are ways around that by using a reseller like DSL Extreme

To answer your question, if you qualify for a 3meg service or better I would think the $8 a month Netflix would probably work fine.