Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to gate1975mlm

Re: [X1] Xfinity TV on X1 Platform and X1 Remote Control App!

According to the Ted Hodgins Comcast blog you didn't have to get a specific box (Motorola DCX3501) as the X1 platform should work on all DCX models? Is the X1 a platform or a box as the X1 website doesn't show any box on the site or faqs? According to his blog it's a platform that can go on any capable (newer) box but I have no idea why Comcast is making their loyal customers suffer. The only reason I can see is that they know they can't get away with a decade old guide today and new users would hate it right away but older, loyal users are just used to it. WTF?
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

aguiar0016

join:2006-01-23
New Bedford, MA
The X1 is a platform that is only loaded on the newest boxes. (not sure if comcast will evenutally have it on all DCX boxes right now they don't).

I think Comcast isn't having the current customers have it is because of truck rolls. They don't want to roll a truck for it. A new customer is going to have a truck roll regardless so they can get X1 at the same time. (just my 2 cents)

Eventually current customers will have it just like the Greater Boston region is doing now.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
Noticed today when I logged into my account on Comcast.net - that on the Users & Settings tab, there was now a section titled:

X1 Platform Settings

Anyone else in other areas seeing this?? Just curious if this is an indicator of it coming soon, or if everyone nationwide can see this.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to aguiar0016
They COULD give all NEW Whole home dvr customers the x1 box since it requires a truck roll anyways. Heck they could probably even give existing whole home dvr customers an x1 box at the service center.

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA
reply to JeepMatt
I was able to see those settings before it was launched here.

zeke11

join:2003-01-20
Marlborough, MA
reply to mikedz4
The X1 is not Anyroom compatable.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
why would they launch a new box that isn't anyroom compatible. Guess that means I can't get it even when it is launched here as I have anyroom dvr.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
said by mikedz4:

why would they launch a new box that isn't anyroom compatible. Guess that means I can't get it even when it is launched here as I have anyroom dvr.

Comcast currently does not support AnyRoom DVR with the Pace X1 Gateway, but Comcast is working to support it.
See »Re: [DVR] Spectrum Quad Tuner DVR revealed

When Comcast makes AnyRoom DVR available with the Pace X1 Gateway, I hope Comcast will allow all 6 tuners to record simultaneously..
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
reply to mikedz4

Awful Reviews on the Comcast Forums

Eeeep.

Just read some of the customer reviews of the X1 box on the Comcast forums...

Definitely not what I wanted to see.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
said by JeepMatt:

Eeeep.

This post?
»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···e#M54467

You hope the developers take that feedback and improve it. Supposedly updates are much easier to do on this platform.

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to JeepMatt
said by JeepMatt:

Eeeep.

Holy crap I just read through 1 page of the customer reviews and I was taken back! Many of the complaints are items I use all the time to enjoy watching TV like watching 2 shows with one in the buffer and then switching tuners and rewinding and watching. I do this during live TV a lot so I don't have to watch as many commercials. I can't believe this type of platform could have that many issues. After reading those I think I'll stick with the iGuide for a few more years plus until they get some of the kinks out.
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

aguiar0016

New Bedford, MA
Not being able to swap turners does is something I miss but I just record the 2 shows now and work it throught the recordings.

I guess I'm lucky because i don't have all the issues the others are seeing. Some bugs exist like the recording light, data light not appearing.

The ability to change days on the remote is what I miss the most.

turnerbrewer

join:2011-11-22
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to FifthE1ement

Re: [X1] Xfinity TV on X1 Platform and X1 Remote Control App!

So let me get this straight - I am a Comcast Double Play customer in the Atlanta area. I have Blast Internet and Preferred TV using a DCX 3501(RNG200N).
If I want the new X1 guide then I have to upgrade to a Triple-Play package and receive a new box?
Why is Comcast incapable of pushing the X1 guide to my DCX3501? There should be no reason for Comcast to do a truck roll. Why should I have upgrade to a package that consists of a phone service that I have no use for. I do not need a landline telephone, or VOIP... I should not have to incur additional cost each month for a service that I do not need because Comcast can not push a guide to a capable box. My patience is wearing very thin. I am so close to pulling the plug and go back to DirecTv.

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
below from the comcast voices blog, september 24 entry, I imagine it is similar with X1....

»blog.comcast.com/2010/05/new-gui···xes.html

The new On-Screen Guide 2.0 is delivered to our newest cable boxes (both the Cisco RNG 200N and Cisco RNG 150N) via a different and newer protocol and technology (called OCAP or tru2way). The Cisco RNG boxes that you have in your home today are not assigned to the tru2way mode and can't be easily flipped or changed into that mode and preserve the current DVR recordings, favorites and other user configurable settings which would be an unfavorable customer experience.

turnerbrewer

Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
Let me see if I understand the comment above-
Comcast will not push the X1 guide to my cable box because they do not want for me to loose all of my recordings and settings. But, they will swap my box w/ the old guide + my recordings for a new box with the X1 guide that has neither my recordings or settings....

"
The new On-Screen Guide 2.0 is delivered to our newest cable boxes (both the Cisco RNG 200N and Cisco RNG 150N) via a different and newer protocol and technology (called OCAP or tru2way). The Cisco RNG boxes that you have in your home today are not assigned to the tru2way mode and can't be easily flipped or changed into that mode and preserve the current DVR recordings, favorites and other user configurable settings which would be an unfavorable customer experience. "

The Q

join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA
I think the X1 cable box receives the data and maybe even the video differently than the DCX 3501 does today. That is my guess as to why the new X1 guide can't be easily pushed to a box that is already in the home. They are using all new boxes for X1, I think from Pace.

turnerbrewer

Reviews:
·Comcast
I just got off the phone with a very nice lady in the Comcast call center. I called inquiring about upgrading to an X1 box. She put me on hold for several minutes to research the offers that were available to my area. After a several minutes she returned and informed me that the X1 box is available to me but only if I upgrade to the $199 Triple Play package. The $199 was good for 12 months and the rate would be $219 or something. My train of thought was derailed when she quoted me $199. I told her no thank you. She told me that the X1 boxes were not available to Double Play customers in my area, but only to people upgrading to Triple Play since Comcast phone service is in low demand in my area. I guess they are forcing people to subscribe to phone service in order to upgrade to the X1. I think that I am going to setup a DirecTv install for this weekend....I am tired of the 1990 style IGUide.

kb1

join:2008-11-15
South Bend, IN
said by turnerbrewer:

I just got off the phone with a very nice lady in the Comcast call center. I called inquiring about upgrading to an X1 box. She put me on hold for several minutes to research the offers that were available to my area. After a several minutes she returned and informed me that the X1 box is available to me but only if I upgrade to the $199 Triple Play package. The $199 was good for 12 months and the rate would be $219 or something. My train of thought was derailed when she quoted me $199. I told her no thank you. She told me that the X1 boxes were not available to Double Play customers in my area, but only to people upgrading to Triple Play since Comcast phone service is in low demand in my area. I guess they are forcing people to subscribe to phone service in order to upgrade to the X1. I think that I am going to setup a DirecTv install for this weekend....I am tired of the 1990 style IGUide.

You mentioned you had Directv before. Did you notice any difference in HD picture quality between Comcast and Directv?

turnerbrewer

Reviews:
·Comcast
The HD quality on DirecTV was excellent.
The HD on Comcast has been hit or miss.
Comcast broadcasts its HD at 1080i.
Comcast SD is better than DirecTv SD...
Sometimes the HD signal on Comcast looks good, other times it is ok...
The HD quality of Comcast HD OnDemand is terrible...
My Comcast signal strength is excellent.