how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SIOYGYG

join:2011-01-08
Charlotte, NC

[TWC] No more perboost?

i used to see powerboost but now i dont what happened?

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12

You upgraded to a DOCSIS 3 modem.

/M

SIOYGYG

Charlotte, NC

yes i did does d3 not support powerboost?

mackey
Premium

1 recommendation

No it does not.

/M

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
·Comcast

Correction: D3 supports PowerBoost, however the tiers that TWC provisions to D3 modems may not. I know this for a fact since I've used Comcast with a D3 modem and gotten some wicked PowerBoost numbers before (35/10 on a 22/5 connection)

mackey
Premium

Ya, "D3" supports powerboost, however Time Warner does not support powerboost on D3 equipment.

/M

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Powerboost is not supported on Turbo (either grandfathered tier or the new turbo tier) either. It is only on 10/1. Turbo is a joke as it is actually slower than Standard because it has no Powerboost.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

said by Mele20:

Turbo is a joke as it is actually slower than Standard because it has no Powerboost.

You've long said Powerboost was a gimmick used to inflated speed test results and you'd rather not have it.

Since Powerboost only works for the first few seconds of a download, Turbo should have higher sustained speeds and have faster downloads of larger files.
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

cousintim

join:2004-10-10
Dallas, TX
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

Powerboost is not supported on Turbo (either grandfathered tier or the new turbo tier) either. It is only on 10/1. Turbo is a joke as it is actually slower than Standard because it has no Powerboost.

From the North Texas (Dallas) website:

Road Runner® Broadband Turbo 20.0 Mbps with PowerBoost®

Our fastest Road Runner ever [sic]- giving you the speed you need for a super fast web experience. PowerBoost® gives you an extra burst of speed when downloading big files, so videos, music and files go even faster than before.

SIOYGYG

Charlotte, NC
reply to SIOYGYG

I upgraded to extreme so i do not have this issue

mackey
Premium
reply to cousintim

said by cousintim:

From the North Texas (Dallas) website:

Road Runner® Broadband Turbo 20.0 Mbps with PowerBoost®

Our fastest Road Runner ever [sic]- giving you the speed you need for a super fast web experience. PowerBoost® gives you an extra burst of speed when downloading big files, so videos, music and files go even faster than before.

Each TWC division does its own thing. The SoCal division does not say anything about Power Boost for any of their tiers, and my grandfathered Turbo plan is most definitely NOT seeing any Power Boost.

/M

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to iansltx

said by iansltx:

Correction: D3 supports PowerBoost, however the tiers that TWC provisions to D3 modems may not. I know this for a fact since I've used Comcast with a D3 modem and gotten some wicked PowerBoost numbers before (35/10 on a 22/5 connection)

yeah I get 30mbps on a 30mbps connection
--
Well, does your car at least turn into something else? Sometimes I turn it into a trashcan. Hmm...

Dominokat
"Hi"
Premium
join:2002-08-06
Boothbay, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to SIOYGYG

I have a D3 modem. (Motorola SB6141)

I have 20/2 and I am very often running "power boost" for downloads.

This is a test from a few minutes ago, at 12:20 ET.

In the evening I often get over 40 when I test.

»www.speedtest.net/result/2179614032.png

SIOYGYG

Charlotte, NC

i had the same one but i didn't get powerboost

mackey
Premium

said by mackey:

Each TWC division does its own thing. The SoCal division does not say anything about Power Boost for any of their tiers, and my grandfathered Turbo plan is most definitely NOT seeing any Power Boost.

I forgot to add that I'm still on D2 (and not getting Power Boost).

Boothbay, ME = TWC Northeast / New England
Charlotte, NC = TWC East / Charlotte

Different divisions, different speeds, different ways of doing things, different "approved devices" list (this vs this), etc.

From what I've read here, not offering power boost on D3 equipment is the most common.

/M

Konaguy
Live From Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Premium
join:2000-10-21
Kailua Kona, HI
reply to SIOYGYG

I have Road Runner Turbo Internet (20/2Mbps) from Oceanic Time Warner Cable in Hawaii. They don't have Powerboost on their speed tiers 20Mbps or higher.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

1 edit
reply to DrDrew

I get LOWER speeds on grandfathered turbo. It is a gimmick to get $10 a month more out of me. I am on DOCSIS 2 since this is 15/1. Maybe if I could afford 20/2 for $20 a month more than standard RR I would think it was worth it because it would be DOCSIS 3. I don't know because I cannot afford that.

This Quality Test located in Los Angeles area gives me the same speed on Standard RR as on grandfathered Turbo. I get 7.2mbps down. That is on either 10mbps down connection or 15mbps down. It shows QOS of around 95% on Standard or grandfathered Turbo. When downloading from sites, I usually (without PowerBoost) get 350KB/sec or slower...many times no more than 85KB/sec. So, it is a rip off designed just to get more money from me.

»www.ispgeeks.com/wild/modules.ph···lityTest

It is definitely a rip off because I can see that Oceanic has placed a VERY LOW ceiling on the route's capacity so that it is impossible to get a higher download speed.

This site is getting bad too. VERY SLOW here.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Konaguy
Premium
Kailua Kona, HI

Mele's poor speed issues is a combination of using a DOCSIS 2.0 cable modem and her node having intermittent issues. Her upstream power level is around 50dBmV and the cable modem frequently disconnects.

I had Road Runner Turbo (15/1Mbps) for over a year with no speed issues. Then I upgraded to the 20/2Mbps tier.

I split my cable to the DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem/eMTA and the DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem (Oceanic doesn't have DOCSIS 3.0 eMTA/Cable modems). The speeds became much more consistent after I upgraded to DOCSIS 3.0.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal
reply to Mele20

So Turbo isn't a joke and neither is PowerBoost, you have other issue hampering your download speeds.

What do your SamKnow's test reports show? Can you post a screenshot?

Elyria

join:2011-10-12
Elyria, OH

and this power boost you speak of, last for how many seconds ?

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

said by Elyria:

and this power boost you speak of, last for how many seconds ?

Just a few... mostly it's intended for faster loading of small files, like a web page is made of.

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to DrDrew

Oceanic insists that I do NOT need a DOCSIS 3 modem unless I go to 20/2. I talked to Oceanic around midnight last night after been erroneously sent to NHD by their automated system that was evidently flummoxed by my reply to the question of "What is your problem?" (Or something like that) to which I answered "modem trips off line frequently". I guess I was supposed to say "my internet doesn't work" but why ask the question if the system gets confused if you actually answer the question in a specific manner?

Anyhow, NHD said I should not have been transferred to them and connected me to Oceanic where the CSR said my modem was fine. Well, yeah, after tripping off line 4 times in a two hour period it was ok AT THAT MOMENT. She kept saying it was OK the whole time we talked although I had told her it was INTERMITTENT and TENDS to occur only between 5PM and 1AM. She told me that 49dBmV is perfectly normal.

Then she blamed Sam Knows router for my problems. If my routers, or the modem itself, was the problem then I would be having the problem in the daytime and after 1AM also. Even then, that still would not mean the problem was the routers or the modem. It could just mean whatever is causing the modem to trip offline is getting worse and starting happen during non-prime usage time also. She wanted me to do a direct connection for three or four days and then call back if I still had problems.
When I paid my bill at Oceanic on Sept 5, I mentioned the problems and was told that the foreman, Bobby, would be notified. I haven't heard from him though but I am not reachable in the mornings. (I did remind Oceanic to have Bobby or whoever call in the afternoons and maybe he did and I was gone on that day). She told me that I should NOT have upgraded to 15/1 if I was having any problems. She said I should have had the problems corrected and then upgraded. I told her I had no choice because Chris had said Oceanic was removing 15/1 from their website and I had to upgrade right then (which was late Monday afternoon) or he could not upgrade me EVER. I told her this and she didn't know what I was talking about even though Chris is her superior.

It is this kind of thing why I try to avoid calling Oceanic. If they would just put me through to tier 3 things would be much better. But these days getting through to tier 3 is like pulling teeth. She did agree to give me a truck roll but said the system was down (it is usually down when I call) for giving me a date and time. So, I was supposed to call back today to get it and I did but I got put on hold which was ok except I got this loud Hawaiian music playing. I hadn't been up that long, and only on my second cup of coffee, and I didn't want to listen to any music much less irritating music when I hadn't been awake very long. That same music at midnight would be fine, I'd enjoy it then. So, I hung up and I need to call back again. I wasn't even given the opportunity to leave my number for a call back which I would have done although that is not a good idea unless you have call waiting (which I don't) and it is Monday and you have a bunch of business calls to make.

I was also told I was not supposed to get Power Boost on 15/1. If that is true then I will likely file a complaint about false advertising with Hawaii Dept of Commerce and Consumer Affairs. But I think she is just poorly trained which has been a big problem always at Oceanic. However, Sam Knows tests show that since I moved to 15/1 that Power Boost is at a LOWER speed than the normal speed. I don't know if that is something wrong with Sam Knows tests or if my connection is just all screwed up. I've been meaning to contact Sam Knows and ask them.

I interrupted this to do a Google search. I couldn't because the modem has tripped off line again. Why don't the modem lights go off when this happens? PCActivity light is blinking madly but I have no connection. Network Connections says I am connected but I show no network activity. I have XP set to notify me when I have limited or no connectivity but it is not notifying me. But that notification is quite buggy on XP so I am not too concerned that I don't get notification in the systray but it is a bit odd.

It is also odd that I never to have to reboot after I reconnect everything. In the past, about 50%, or more, of the time, I would be forced to reboot to regain connectivity after the modem would trip off.
--

Name Game
Premium
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:7

1 edit

Have you been tweaking the pcs again.

»[TWC] Hawaii has 20000kbps now? Nah, speed tests are wacko

when you say tripping off that to me means a/c power is not available..but I guess you mean "although the lights on it are correct excepts the pc activity light blinking madly..that to me means your ISP's DHCP Server....Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is a network protocol that enables a server to automatically assign an IP address to a computer...is not shaking hands with your modem and saying ok..I recognize you as a customer..so here is a dynamic IP for you to use.

What other lights do you have on this modem.

You can try unplugging the power to the modem for 1 min then plugging it back in as they always suggest. It could be their server is out or overloaded at times. Or you just might have a faulty modem. friend down the street had an intermittent problem like that which was weird..and turn out to be the a/c power adapter for the modem.. unplug the power on the router too the same way to have it reinitialize after you are sure you modem is working correctly and an IP is assigned.

The ladies suggestion about direct connect just to the modem is valid.. it is the only way you can really rule out your hardware...and I would not totally rule out the router either. Especially since they checked it at their end and it was 49dbmv. There should be away to talk to them and ask if their server has been dropping out in your area..the ISP in our area has a site one can check on line the customer bandwidth usage and up time of their server in a graph form.

Do you have any of your PC's set to auto update any programs prgrams during that time frame.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

1. Can you post a screenshot of the Sam Knows monthly report, especially the speed test and packet loss parts?

2. Can you post a screenshot of the modem logs?

3. If your router has logs can you a post a screenshot of them?

4. What's your current network config? Is it PC -> Sam Knows unit-> Linksys router -> modem?
--
If it's important, back it up... twice. Even 99.999% availability isn't enough sometimes.

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

1 edit
reply to Mele20

I do see they have lots of planned outages the last few day and in the near future »www.aroundhawaii.com/support/cable_status/

»help.rr.com/HMSLogic/network_status.aspx

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Name Game

I meant the modem is dropping off line. AC power is available. PC activity light blinks continously when modem is online ever since Code Red worm in 2001. (I was online at the precise moment when Code Red hit and the PC Activity light went from very little activity to constant, furious blinking that has never stopped). So, it is normal for it to blink furiously but when it goes off line it continues to blink constantly. Other four lights are green even when it is offline which is irritating because the only way you know it is offline is when you try to post in a forum or surf to some site, etc after 60 seconds or more of waiting you finally get a DNS error (or Google search gives a really strange address and no search) and that is how you know the modem is offline. XP is very buggy regarding TCP and showing in the systray when connectivity is limited or non-existent so I can't depend on XP to reliably alert me when the modem goes off line.

If I then unplug (off my UPS) the modem, unplug the two routers, wait three minutes (this is a Surfboard 5100 modem so it takes it longer than other brands of modems to clear its memory) then replug the modem only and watch the lights until it gets online and then plug in the Sam Knows router that is in bridged mode, then the Linksy router I am back online until the next time the modem trips off. Historically since I got RR in June 2001, the modem trips off line two-four times a month but since the first of Sept it has gotten much worse and has been tripping off frequently.

The modem is rather old but this problem I have historically has NEVER been due to my modem or my router(s). It is ALMOST ALWAYS a node problem and I am sick, sick, sick of it. Konaguy says if I upgrade to DOCSIS 3 and 20/2 probably this problem will go away but I doubt it besides I can't afford 20/2.

I get testy with the CSRs because Oceanic has severely restricted access to tier 3 techs. I used to be able call them directly bypassing tier one Oceanic support. Sure, tier 3 techs would understand what I am saying (tier 1 doesn't have a clue) and could do things like show the cable flap list for modems in my area to see if they are having problems on the upstream, etc. But getting to tier 3 is now like pulling teeth. In retrospect, I should have sent Chris an email last night and not bothered with tier 1 CSR. He used to be one of the best tier 3 techs (before he got promoted to management) and he knows the entire history of the node problem here going all the way back to shortly after I got RR in June 2001.

It's a real hassle for many reasons for me to do a direct connection. I have done it more times than I could possibly count. I am sick of doing it and never has the problem been the router although being a old Linksy it handles DHCP poorly but it gets the job done eventually after depositing a ton of warnings and errors in Event Viewer. I have the lease time set in the router for 7 days and that is to cut down on the amount of clutter in Event Viewer with warnings and error messages about DHCP problems. So, it got a 7 day lease today at 4:20PM after the modem had gone off line again and I reconnected it. Thanks goodness, as the messages won't start again until one-half way through the lease time...so 3.5 days from now.

I realize that there is always a "first" time so this time it could be the router but that is unlikely and if I do a direct connection for several days that means no virtual machine and I use the virtual machine mostly now as I wait for Intel to announce the fix for Ivy Bridge chip on certain Dell motherboards on two of Dell's computers (the two I would choose from) and I hope Intel's fix will also maybe make it so nVidia doesn't have to come up with some fix that will take forever for their newer cards on these same Dell Ivy Bridge computers because I really want an nVidia card. My disk is full on the host machine so I prefer to use the guest machine (plus, the browsers are up to date on it and not on the host).
--

Name Game
Premium
Grand Rapids, MI

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to SIOYGYG

Reply to Mele20:

PC activity light is blinking constantly because you have that cat5 cable hooked up and your PC's and whatever is in between is communicating with the modem so that is normal..but I disagree that the only way you can tell this modem not talking to the DHCP server is try to surf..best way to tell is hook a pc directly up to the modem cutting out all the stuff inbetween.

and if google search give you a strange address..you should be looking at how your router is set up..and if you cloned the mac address and how you are handling your DNS since I assume you are not using your ISP's DNS server but rather some other method. Good idea to post those logs suggested by DrDrew.
I think you have problems with your hardware and how it is configured rather than your modem...like you said...the lights on the modem are green and normal even when you think it is off line.. I think it si online and okI certainly would not assume that.. but rather the modem is OK and online... you might not have hardware problems with your own gear..it could be just how you have it setup with and configured.
--
Gladiator Security Forum
»www.gladiator-antivirus.com/

Konaguy
Premium
Kailua Kona, HI
reply to SIOYGYG

Mele20's ongoing issues is a combination of using a older cable modem and the ongoing node issues. I don't think upgrading to 20/2Mbps will solve her problem, but I think swapping her cable modem my help.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
SoCal

I think something else is going on, but not really with her modem as it's staying sync'd to the system. Somethings not quite right between her Sam Knows router, Linksys router, and PC. Possibly her public IP isn't renewing properly or her Sam Knows testing is having issues and getting in the way or there is noise on the system interrupting proper packet flow. I can think of quite a few more situations that have similar symptoms though.

I'd really like to see the logs of the modem and routers. It'd tell me (all of us) a lot... certainly more than paragraphs of unneeded stories do. Getting her to post anything useful is tough though.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to Name Game

I'll say it one more time. Since I got RR in June 2001 I have done just what you want, direct modem connection umpteen zillion times up to today. NEVER ONCE has a direct connection fixed my problem. IT HAS NEVER BEEN MY ROUTER. Since I became an FCC broadband panelist about two years ago I have taken their router out of the commission MANY times and connected just with my Linksy two times I did this for OVER ONE MONTH. That has NEVER solved any problems.

WITHOUT EXCEPTION, ALL THESE YEARS, my problems have ALWAYS PROVED TO BE THE FAULT OF OCEANIC.

Google gave me the odd address, I realized later, because I have the Fx/SM extension for GoogleSharing. It was the Googlesharing proxy address which I never see ordinarily. I was able to reproduce it so I know that is what it was. Why do you think I am a stupid idiot? You have known me all these years and you know damn well that I would have cloned the MAC address when I first set up the router back in 2003.

Thane (konaguy knows who he is - he doesn't have a real title at Oceanic but he is the most knowledgeable and best troubleshooter they have -the one they, among other things, send to the hotels and important businesses to fix problems - and the only person who has been able to fix my problems in the past many times) has a 13 year old Linksy router that he sees the same DHCP errors in Event Viewer that I have seen all these years but he sees no reason to get a new router until TWC moves to IPv6. He doesn't think my router is the problem. It is not behaving any differently than it has all these years so I don't think is currently dying of old age...it is not nearly as old as his.

I have a 7 day DHCP lease time which helps because it cuts down all the errors in event viewer as I have 3.5 days after a new lease is obtained before the process starts again and the errors start appearing. But the errors are on all Linksy routers like mine be they ver 1,2, 3 or 4 that is currently sold. We used to have long threads in the Linksy forum about the DHCP errors with this router...but they are meaningless as a lease is always obtained finally but usually just before the end of the lease time. Oceanic's normal lease time is only 12 hours so I changed it in the router to one week. I should have made it one month or longer. All a direct connection does is bug me with a 12 hour lease which is ridiculously short. It's one of the reasons I got Sam Knows to send a bridged TP_Link router because the Netgear does not have any way to set your lease time. When I buy a new router it will be a Linksy just to get this feature.

I don't use Hawaii RR's DNS servers because there are two hidden Oceanic DNS servers that are faster. (I know they are faster because of doing the lengthy GRC DNS BenchMark personalization test, (periodically, in case there are changes), to find the best servers for me and doing the Google benchmark test (also periodically as the best servers can change). I use them and two of Level 3's as the third server and fourth server as they are next fastest. One Hawaii RR server is extremely slow and Sam Knows tests it which is stupid. It is in Orange California. The other Hawaii RR DNS servers are in Honolulu as are the Oceanic servers and SK should be testing just them. The slow Orange one is a backup server that Oceanic requested in Jan 2005 when Road Runner went down state wide for 5 days because of DNS problems. SK should test the regular Hawaii RR DNS servers in Honolulu not the emergency backup one that is shared with Orange RR.

I am NOT doing anything that will require reboot/cold boot of the computer if at all possible and a direct connection would require that. I would have a new computer long before now but I have zero control over Intel or Dell. 5 months going now with the two best Dell computers (that are not Alienware) having no PCIe port ability and Dell says a BIOS flash will be posted no later than Thursday, but now we hear the real problem is Intel's Ivy Bridge processor on this Dell motherboard and Intel is supposedly working on a fix and it affects some other boards also...non Dell ones. So, I am waiting for a proven fix (whether Dell bios flash or an Intel fix which is also supposed to fix nVidia's problem with many of their better cards on these Dell computers as it will take nvidia forever to fix the problem themselves although they are working on it currently) before I purchase and, in the meantime, I have to baby this computer as I don't want any strain that might cause the bulging capacitor on the motherboard to burst or just get worse and result in my not being able to use the computer at all. It's my only non virtual computer. If my router is dying I'm sure I will start seeing more evidence of that and will purchase a new router when I have enough evidence that mine is dying. I have been told by people like you umpteen times over the years that my router is dying. They have been wrong every time. If I had rushed and bought a new router every time some know it all in this forum said my router was the problem I would have gone through 15-20 routers by now! If the problem is possibly SK's router that wouldn't surprise me because I have had many problems with it already and they have had to issue a firmware upgrade several times and the last time my SK router was the only one of all who have the TP_Link where the firmware upgrade failed. They had to write a new one to get mine to accept it and they have no idea why this happened.

If you people in this thread (excluding Konaguy) wonder why I write these long posts in reply to you all....look in your own hearts for the answer.
--