spc
Search similar:

uniqs
jimr02
join:2012-09-06
Morrilton, AR

jimr02

[Connectivity] Suddenlink Latency and Inconsistency!!! (Arkansas

Looking for help and or answers. For the past three or four nights connectivity has been SO bad. I go to speedtest.net and get a 15mb/s download rating, and then try and open CNN.COM in three different browsers and it times out!!!

Tonight, just a few minutes ago, I was getting 5 mb/s download speeds from speedtest.net (to various test servers in the southeast), and even had the upload section of the test fail.

Youtube runs for a while, then times out (buffer...buffer...disconnect). Web pages are EXTREMELY slow to load.

I thought it might be DNS last night and tried using 8.8.8.8 instead of the OpenDNS servers... no luck, no improvement.

Any suggestions or help troubleshooting would be greatly appreciated.

My network is:

Modem (SL) -- Cisco 1841 -- Cisco 2950 -- Linksys WRT54G

The router is setup for DHCP on the Modem side with a default route pointed to that interface, and 100% PAT for the inside network.

I am exporting NETFLOW towards a server inside, as well as using PRTG to graph the interface traffic...based on what I am seeing there, I am no where near maxing out the circuit.

I do not know what Modem is installed (I think it is Motorola, but am not positive; I believe I was told it would be DOCSIS 3 compliant). I have no idea how to get any information from the modem.

Thanks for any help or tips.

SDL L3Tech
join:2011-06-07
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech

Re: [Connectivity] Suddenlink Latency and Inconsistency!!! (Arka

Hello jimr. Please download and install PingPlotter pro (free trial) and run traces to your current DNS servers and to a specific (ping-able) site/server that you can reproduce the problem with. Please do not trace to Speedtest.net since it is just a portal page to the actual speedtest servers.

You can post the image here and PM me your cable modem's MAC address (found on the modem itself) and your public IP (»whatismyip.com) so I can start looking into it.
jimr02
Morrilton, AR

jimr02

SDL L3Tech

Thanks -- sorry for the delay. I thought I had responded but had some IRL events that kind of took precedence.

I am running pingplotter pro to 6 different DNS servers as well as to a couple of "content" servers; I will run this for a couple of days and then post the summary screen. I'll PM the mac and IP when I post the screen shot.
jimr02

jimr02 to SDL L3Tech

to SDL L3Tech
Click for full size
Ping Plotter
48 hour averages to several DNS servers and a few content sites

SDL L3Tech
join:2011-06-07
Tyler, TX

SDL L3Tech to jimr02

to jimr02
Please email me the sample set for those plots so I can look at the individual traces instead of the summary page that does not show the paths.

I PM'd you my email address.
jimr02
Morrilton, AR

jimr02

the pp2 files are on their way to you. Thanks again

G00SE
Premium Member
join:2003-03-07
Conroe, TX

G00SE to jimr02

Premium Member

to jimr02
I've had similar problems off and on for quite some time; 20MB+
down at times, and doing good to get 2 1/2 down at others.
Not trying to intrude here, but the problem does seem similar, although I'm in Southeast Texas.
Thanks.