MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to Craiger

MVM

to Craiger

Re: Will DirecTV Ever Switch To Ethernet?

SWM/DECA is already working great. Plus theres more coax already run in homes vs. ethernet. Makes sense if its working good and it's already there, use it.

You can use the DECA adapters to bridge ethernet to coax and use existing wiring to network two computers in different parts of the house. You can take the output of a DECA adapter and run it into a small 5 port switch and get things like a gaming system, connected TV or Blue Ray Player, or a HTPC or connected A/V receiver all connected to the lan.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 edit

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by cypherstream:

SWM/DECA is already working great. Plus theres more coax already run in homes vs. ethernet. Makes sense if its working good and it's already there, use it.

You can use the DECA adapters to bridge ethernet to coax and use existing wiring to network two computers in different parts of the house. You can take the output of a DECA adapter and run it into a small 5 port switch and get things like a gaming system, connected TV or Blue Ray Player, or a HTPC or connected A/V receiver all connected to the lan.

Be aware of the 16 deca max per segment.
From my reading it sounds that Deca uses a TDMA collision avoidance (which while nice and better than csma/cd which Ethernet normally uses) though not as good as a full on Ethernet switch.

also so far Deca is only 100Mbit not gig yet.

thegeek
Premium Member
join:2008-02-21
right here

thegeek to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream
said by cypherstream:

This is off topic but it got me thinking. I have a long house and no matter where I put my wireless access point I can't cover the entire house. But I could with two. Could I use a DECA adapter to connect a second access point on the other end of the house? If so this would finally get me the wifi coverage I want in my kitchen, dining room, and pool area.
westdc
join:2009-01-25
Amissville, VA

westdc

yes