spc
Search similar:

uniqs

deltatrouble
@telus.net

deltatrouble

Anon

[BC] Sudden drop in ADSL speeds?

I moved to a new place a week ago, and my adsl speeds were nowhere near advertised. My package is 15/1 and I was getting 3/.05

I called telus the next day, and after jumping through all the hoops and whatnot, trying all the typical steps. Nothing worked and they said they would send a tech. About an hour after the phonecall, my internet is suddenly going at near advertised speeds... 14/.8~

Great. Tech comes the next day, I tell him it's working, he checks it all out and it's all good.

Now, a week later I am using the internet and all is well, when it suddenly dies (around 11am). I watch my modem(actiontec v1000h) and the dsl/internet lights go out, then they reboot. Suddenly my speeds are back to 3/.05

I've sat on tech support again for awhile but got nowhere, they tried to retrain my connection which killed it for 2 hours. Now it's still crippled.

Anyways... big rant. Any ideas what is going on here? I'm going to try calling again tomorrow.

Here are some tests to show speeds.

When I moved in
»speedtest.net/result/216 ··· 6573.png

After the magical fix... what did they do?
»speedtest.net/result/215 ··· 6097.png

Current
»speedtest.net/result/215 ··· 2219.png
bimmerdriver
join:2010-12-10
Coquitlam, BC

bimmerdriver

It sounds like you either have a line problems or you need a new modem. Presumably you've tried powering off the modem. Phone tech support again. Why wait until tomorrow?
bimmerdriver

bimmerdriver to deltatrouble

to deltatrouble
You didn't say if you are using ethernet or wifi. If you're using wifi, try ethernet.

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell to deltatrouble

to deltatrouble
Sounds like your profile as reset. Just call them up and tell them to set the right profile. You can also log into your modem and check what you're syncing at.

deltatrouble
@telus.net

deltatrouble to bimmerdriver

Anon

to bimmerdriver
Tried resetting modem multiple times, I have 1 pc wired, 1 wireless. Same problem on both.
deltatrouble

deltatrouble to xsbell

Anon

to xsbell
I called them and was bumped to tier 2. He told me that I am at a lower rate and he can't change it, they have to send a tech on tuesday.

I just do not understand how it could work fine for a week, then magically stop right before my very eyes. Now I wait 4 days with little to no connection.
ruiner3
join:2012-03-10
Canada

ruiner3

said by deltatrouble :

I just do not understand how it could work fine for a week, then magically stop right before my very eyes. Now I wait 4 days with little to no connection.

Probably some line noise or a bad modem causing noise made it bump your profile to something stable. That's why they need to check it out, but I don't see why they can't reset your profile again in the meantime. Unless the line is showing too unstable for them to do it.

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell to deltatrouble

to deltatrouble
said by deltatrouble :

I called them and was bumped to tier 2. He told me that I am at a lower rate and he can't change it, they have to send a tech on tuesday.

Can you post your line stats?

I don't understand why he can't change it, unless you have a marginal loop or there is mapping issue, but even if you had a mapping issue, it could be fixed within a couple of minutes. Try calling back to get someone else.

Plus it shouldn't of dropped you to a ~3000/512 ADSL profile when you were previously on a ~15000/1000 ADSL2+ profile.. no line can degrade that much in one week... it definitely sounds like your port was reset and you got the default profile. (which is the same one Bell uses here)

deltatrouble
@telus.net

deltatrouble

Anon

Sorry, connection has been unstable. How do I get my line stats?

nss_tech
join:2007-07-29
Edmonton AB

nss_tech

It's possible the reason the agent could not change anything is because all the remote changes have been tried and the physical ones between the CO and the client need to be explored and/or fixed if the field tech locates the issue. It's not the profile because the default profile it would drop to is 1.5mbps down, not 3. From the speed tests you posted it looks like there is a severe issue with your upstream. Depending on if it's your modem or the port, one or both might need to be changed. Could also be something with your line and intermittent interference also.

deltatrouble
@telus.net

deltatrouble

Anon

This makes absolutely no sense. I have the service guy scheduled to come today, and just a few minutes ago my modem reset again ( I was sitting here and watched it ) and now after the reset my speeds are back to normal. After four days.

Now what the heck do I tell him when he gets here, derp it's magically fixed. This is annoying.
deltatrouble

deltatrouble

Anon

Well, after it magically working for a few days, my modem resets this morning at 11:55 and magically my speeds drop again. Telus just seems baffled and are sure it's on my end. Going to just cancel and get cable, this is silly.
annoyingrob
join:2007-03-27
Calgary, AB

annoyingrob to deltatrouble

to deltatrouble
I had a similar problem that went on for about 10 months before I got frustrated enough to actually call Telus about it. The guy came out, said it was probably a line issue, replaced the terminal block in my basement, cleaned up the wiring, and the problem went away.
Symtex
join:2005-04-06
Burnaby, BC

Symtex to deltatrouble

to deltatrouble
said by deltatrouble :

Well, after it magically working for a few days, my modem resets this morning at 11:55 and magically my speeds drop again. Telus just seems baffled and are sure it's on my end. Going to just cancel and get cable, this is silly.

and I bet this issue is probably related to inside wiring. Why don't you just get the TELUS tech on site and get the problem resolved ?
ruiner3
join:2012-03-10
Canada

ruiner3

said by Symtex:

and I bet this issue is probably related to inside wiring. Why don't you just get the TELUS tech on site and get the problem resolved ?

Because he would apparently rather complain about it than have it resolved?