how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TL

@multi.fi
reply to Kirby Smith

Re: Strange USG100 Problem

I'm not using PPoE, just normal ethernet.

Ping test shows that packets with normal MTU are going thru and there are not any black-hole routers on the path.

I took some packet captures on both LAN and WAN sides. There are missing packets, retransmissions and TCP-resets (I think there was even TCP-reset on the https-admin connection to USG).

Because USG works behind existing 2+, so could there be something wrong with the information that is received via DHCP? I couldn't find CLI-command to check the received information, is there such command?

TL

@multi.fi
If I play a video from youtube, the video stops every time at the same spot. The video continues to play by itself after couple of minutes.

Kirby Smith

join:2001-01-26
Derry, NH
ISP throttling? What happens if you download some innocent file, Linux distribution say, directly from a repository, and then again via Bittorent? Are there periods of low or no data rate?

Just guessing here.

kirby

TL

@multi.fi
I haven't tried, but I can't imagine that it is ISP throttling, when it works with one router and not with the other. And if it was, shouldn't the speed be controlled, not to break the whole connection?

I forgot to say earlier, that if I use USB 3G -modem connected to the USG everyting works fine. So there is something wrong with the ethernet WAN-connection.

So any new ideas?

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10
Did you check WAN port speed and duplex settings? Try adding a switch between the router and modem just for test.

TL

@multi.fi
I have already tested both switch and hub between USG and modem. USG shows the parameters right (100M/full and 10M/half). There is no change in the problem.

I think the physical side of the connection is ok, but there is something in the data (dhcp, etc.) that is processed differently in USG and 2+ and the way USG does it is incompatible with ISP.

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10

1 edit
Register here and PM me.