spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

newbey

@sbcglobal.net

thinking of going the Ultra TY Route

Before I sign-up for Ultra TV and bundle my phone and internet can anyone direct me to a site that would show me the wiring requirements for phone use, internet use and wiring form the Gateway to the media players. I want to make sure I have cable lines and Cat5 lines run correctly before an installer comes out to install the various components. I have a total of 5 television sets, 2 desktop computers that are wired to AT&T modem (my current phone and internet provider) 4 laptop computers, 2 plug in the wall telephones and 4 wireless telephones

Big Jimmy

@wideopenwest.com
There's no phone requirements, as far as I know; they'll just stick the gateway into a phone jack (or add one) and it'll be good to go. Internet is the same, cat5 is fine, and wireless will take care of the rest. As for the gateway and players, they want it to have RG6, but they'll stick it in if the signal levels are good enough. If I were to have them come through without any wiring, I'd re-do all of my runs with RG6 quad-shield to where they'll be. Having extra runs that aren't needed, or are damaged could screw with the network (because the coax acts as a network for the player/base), and having fresh runs is nice.

On the other hand, you'll be in it for an installation fee, and the tech should be able to do at least two runs as part of the installation, and RG6 isn't exactly cheap stuff.

alan92rttt

join:2012-02-27
reply to newbey
The gateway provides phone connection, internet, wife and does the actual recording of show does not need to be near a TV. Mine is in my den which is where my phone base and cable modem were. If you put your gateway where your current ATT modem is you should be able to take the connections from it and plug them into the gateway and all existing functionality should work.

If you are using your computers with wireless now based on many posts about wireless strength/range I could plan on using your existing wireless router.

I think Jimmy covered the cable requirements for the player to gateway connections pretty well.

sparkydm

join:2012-05-10
reply to Big Jimmy
Big Jimmy; I didn't realize RG6 is the preferred cable for the Ultra system. I'll have to verify the last roll I purchased. They never mentioned a signal strength problem to me but, if it'll make a noticable difference, I'll upgrade my cables.

Big Jimmy

@wideopenwest.com
That's the recommended cabling, to make sure that you don't have any signal loss, since the UltraTV is highly dependent on having a rock-solid connection via the coax. I've got RG6 going from the main splitter over to the base, and regular RG59 going to everything else and it's fine, but *technically* you're supposed to do RG6 to UltraTV equipment to mitigate any possible signal drop.

newbey

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Big Jimmy
Thanks for the info. I have another question. Am I correct in saying the the incoming line from outside has to be split with RG6 going to the gateway and the other line going to my booster. Then from my booster to the five televisions???? Yes / No.

Also I would assume it would be best to place the gateway in the middle of the house to better insure that my wireless laptops have a better chance of getting a connection to the internet????

NuclearXP

join:2012-04-12
Trenton, MI
Do NOT count on the wireless gateway covering your house well. Even the 2.4Ghz coverage borders on useless.

Gerard1234

join:2012-04-03
Going with Ultra TV this Saturday. I have a netgear R6300 router wireless C and it has a range of down the block. I will use that router for wireless. Set that Ip to the DMZ.

newbey

@sbcglobal.net
You guys are all way over my head. Is the stuff you are all talking about something the WOW installer is going to be able to suggest? Is the Netgear R6300 router wireless C used in lieu of the gateway. Were does one go to get physical help for figureing what other components I might need to make sure telephones, internet, wireless laptops, wired desktops and televisions work to there full capacity.

I am from the south suburbs. Do I need a tech guy out at my house or if anyone is familar with the Little Guys in Mokena would they be someone that could help in setting-up all of my components using WOW Ultra TV?

Big Jimmy

@wideopenwest.com
reply to newbey
You've got it, although there are differing opinions on whether or not you'll need the signal booster. I'd guess since the signal is technically going from the gateway to the "players" that you won't need it.

newbey

@sbcglobal.net
While going through these forums can anyone clarify the following: Is it better to incorporate a better modem that I assume would connect to the gateway rather than relying on the gateway to transmit wirelessly to my various laptops in the house. From comments made by various particpants in these forums, they seem to indicate that my wireless connection (via the gateway), depending how far I would be away from the gateway, would be less than desireable. If the answer is furnish ones own modem, can you recommend one of the better models to go with? Thanks again for all of your help. As many of you have said , this is the best place to get answers to questions. I only wish I could understand half of what some of you are talking about and recommending

NuclearXP

join:2012-04-12
Trenton, MI
Newbey, you are right the arris gateway network range is pretty bad. I live in an older 1100sq ft home with thick plaster walls and the 5ghz signal doesn't even make it out of the room. The 2.4 is got maybe 2/3 of 5 bars at best anywhere outside the same room as the gateway.

The best site bar none is smallnetbuilder.com for wireless router reviews.