how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

facepalm

join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX

Rebuild Time Is Upon Me

GW2 has convinced me to update my rig. Well, it didn't take much convincing.

Here's basically what I have:
Q8300 Quad with 8GB DDR2

I've recently added:
EVGA GTX560Ti graphics card
ASUS XONAR_DG 5.1 sound card
CORSAIR TX650 650W power supply

I was looking around and found these deals on Newegg:

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with 8GB free DDR3 - $135 + shipping

Intel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.5GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637I53450 - $180 with promo.

What do you guys think? Pull the trigger now or wait for better deal closer to Holidays?

Also, if you have issues with this board or processor let me know. I've been out of the build game for years now.
--
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. ~ Thomas Jefferson

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
Go for it, it's a decent deal, and the free ram is like $35 off.

You can save $30 on the CPU if you are near a Microcenter. otherwise don't worry about that.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

facepalm

Lumberton, TX
said by Krisnatharok:

Go for it, it's a decent deal, and the free ram is like $35 off.

You can save $30 on the CPU if you are near a Microcenter. otherwise don't worry about that.

I saw that. Nearest Micro Center is 100 miles away. :-(
--
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. ~ Thomas Jefferson

facepalm

Lumberton, TX
reply to facepalm
I've got this in my shopping cart at Newegg, but plan to sleep on it before pulling the trigger:

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with 8GB free DDR3

Intel Core i5-3450 Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.5GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2500 BX80637I53450

G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 to match the 8MB freebie ram that comes with mobo.

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

Total: $537

Comments are welcome.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Get the more expensive version of the Challenger case (I believe it's U3) that has the USB 3 front ports.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to facepalm
Not like there's anything wrong with it. Are you hitting the budget you were aiming for? Looking to take some out? Have more to burn?

facepalm

Lumberton, TX
said by Dissembled:

Not like there's anything wrong with it. Are you hitting the budget you were aiming for? Looking to take some out? Have more to burn?

Funny you should ask. I got approval to spend $600 from my wife on my "upgrades." I was hoping to reuse my case & DVD drive. Video card and power supply were going to be reused regardless. About an hour later she came in and pretty much told me she gave away my current rig to a needy family. lol But to answer your question, I feel that I have a little more to spend, but I'm trying not to go much beyond the agreed $600. After adding a DVD drive and a better CPU fan/sink I'm pushing the limit. It sounds like you have a recommendation. Please share.

I am going to look at that case that Krisnatharok mentioned right now.
--

facepalm

Lumberton, TX
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Get the more expensive version of the Challenger case (I believe it's U3) that has the USB 3 front port.

Good catch. I do want the 3.0 front ports.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to facepalm
You should talk to DarkRealm See Profile about CPU/MOBO/RAM combos. You would probably shave about $100-150 off your price.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
The Ivy Bridge will be considerably more powerful than first-gen i5/i7s. Unless the budget is very tight (under $600 for the whole rig), going for Ivy Bridge is probably a better option.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

facepalm

Lumberton, TX
Done. Thanks for the help guys.

facepalm

Lumberton, TX
Shipped yesterday afternoon from California. 3 day shipping. I expect stuff will be here Monday. We'll see how it goes.
--

facepalm

Lumberton, TX
reply to facepalm
Quick update. All the parts arrived Monday as expected and in good shape.

Build has gone surprisingly well considering I haven't built a rig in 10 years or so. The improvements in the technology have really helped the novice builders like myself. The rig booted up on first attempt and all appears well.

I plan to install Windows 7 tonight along with the latest drivers for stuff. I can't wait to see games in all their glory.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Pics! We want pics!

Chuck_IV

join:2003-11-18
Connecticut

1 edit
reply to facepalm
Thanks for the update. I was just reading the thread cause GW2 has done the same thing to me. I am running a rig I built in early 2008. It served me well but has hit the wall on some of these new games.

I just ordered my upgrade yesterday(some come tomorrow, the rest on Friday). I went with...

Cooler Master HAF 922 case
Intel i5 3570K
Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB low profile
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler(because of this, I had to reorder the Corsair low profile version of the Above RAM)
ASUS P8Z77-V motherboard
EVGA GTX670 FTW(already had this)

I could have gone cheaper on the motherboard but I wanted the 3rd PCI express 2.0 slot for my Areca 1220 raid card and I liked the feature set.

Also those who saw me post in another thread about buying the GTX570, since I knew I was upgrading, I went with the 670 instead.

Keep us up to date. Since it's been a while for me as well, I'm not sure how my build will go.

facepalm

Lumberton, TX
Chuck_IV,

Hardware installation was actually fun this time around. Connections on boards are clearly marked and Youtube has provided plenty of help. NewEgg has a series of how-to videos on Youtube. Good stuff.
--

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
It's wonderful how "easy" it is now. I was scared to do it on my own. My friend told me it was as easy as putting legos together. I love me some legos though this stuff cost more =(.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to facepalm
said by facepalm:

Chuck_IV,

Hardware installation was actually fun this time around. Connections on boards are clearly marked and Youtube has provided plenty of help. NewEgg has a series of how-to videos on Youtube. Good stuff.

Yep, Newegg helped me a lot of the software install.

I had never built a PC before. It was a breeze after watching those videos.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to I AM
said by I AM:

It's wonderful how "easy" it is now. I was scared to do it on my own. My friend told me it was as easy as putting legos together. I love me some legos though this stuff cost more =(.

Haha not really. You see the prices of Legos lately? Those fuckers are knockin heads off for some sets. I can buy a damn motherboard and ram for cheaper then some full Lego sets.

facepalm

Lumberton, TX

1 recommendation

reply to Krisnatharok

This is it so far. Not real happy with my cable management, but airflow is good. I'll post more as soon as I can.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
Looks like the exact same case my HTPC has.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
reply to facepalm
Looks really nice props on the upgrade.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to facepalm
Oh man, route some of the cables behind the motherboard tray. Ouch.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
Haha, yeah that's what I did also. I routed the 4pin power cord behind the MB, along with some fan wires, etc.

facepalm

Lumberton, TX
reply to Krisnatharok
Oh, I hear you. It's driving me nuts. In reading the reviews on that case, some people rated it a little lower because they felt it needed more room for cable management. I understand now, but for what it cost me ($50), I have little to complain about. lol

It looks a lot better with the case side back on. I'm glad I didn't get one with the window on the side. Out of sight out of mind.

Next time I'll get a modular power supply and put more thought into the case. All in all, it's a helluva lot better than what we had to work with the last time I built one.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
I *just* built a nearly identical computer.

»Re: Gaming build for teenager

I'll go wrest it away from the kid long enough to take pictures to give you an idea of what I did for cable management.
--

facepalm

Lumberton, TX
reply to Krisnatharok

I cleaned it up a bit. I still have another hard drive and a media card reader coming, so I'll finish it up after installing those. I apologize for picture quality.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
Much nicer dude.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to facepalm
basically looks like my system!

very nice

just built my wife a new machine last night:

Rosewill U3 gaming case
530W modular PSU
24x dvd burner
a8-3850 quad core amd apu (2.9ghz, cpu+gpu)
ddr3 1600 8gb
1tb, 6gb/s, 64mb cache, 7200rpm hdd
usb 3.0, atx mobo, 6gb/s sata, fm1
Win 7 oem

$460

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
reply to facepalm
The plastic locking mechanism on that case is garbage for the DVD

I wouldnt trust it, especially when moving

i removed all of those platic pieces and screwed in the dvd manually