spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

timbo

@bhn.net

[TV] Recordings being erased on Samsung SMT-H3272 DVR

We just recently upgraded our cable service to include DVR facilities, and have enjoyed having it to date. Only problem though is that the DVR keeps erasing older versions of the same series I've set the unit to record.

It doesn't seem to be a case of space being the issue, as the screen states that we're only at 10% capacity, and we actually have no problem adding other programs/movies to the storage device. But it seems that as soon as we reach a point of already having stockpiled 9 - 10 episodes of a series, as each new episode gets recorded the oldest one gets erased. It's really annoying, especially as we were watching a 2 part episode the other day that I recorded last week, but when it came time to watch the second episode, it had been erased.

Is there anyway to stop the unit doing this, or is it hot-wired into the system hardware by Bright House?

The other thing I'm curious about is the capacity. At normal definition, as against HD, how many hours can you store on a 500gb drive? I'd hunted around and been led to believe it was about 60 hours, but it doesn't gel with our recordings to date. I currently have about 20 hours worth of programming stored on the DVR, yet as stated earlier, the screen states that we're only at 10% capacity - that would equate to 200 hours of storage, which doesn't seem right at all.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:138

You are not forgotten. I am verifying the retention setting which as I recall is set when you start recording a series.

timbo

@bhn.net

Okay, your post gave me a clue where to look. I went back and looked at the series options, and sure enough, there was a section there that determines how many episodes are kept. Seems like the default setting is for 7 episodes. I changed it to 'all' so it should hopefully be fine now.

Any thoughts on the point on storage capacity?

Thanks.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:138
reply to timbo

You beat me to it...yep it is there. Honestly today has been crazy and I don't use the feature and had to go back to it myself.

Digital Channel Analog Channel HD Channel Hard Drive
DVR 45 Hours 25 Hours N/A 80 GB
HD DVR 80 Hours 59 Hours 20 Hours 160 GB
WHDVR 200 Hours N/A 60 Hours 500 GB
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~