how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

GW2: Guardian Thread

So I will go ahead and start the guardian thread.

Currently I am planning on building up the great sword through Zeal as well as uping my utility and defense through Virtues and Honor. I have started in honor for my traits. When grouping I have been trying to use all my virtue actives and apply as many boons as possible as well as healing conditions.

I am running save yourself and the fire that cures conditions as my utilities. My off hand is a work in progress. I like the mace, but the sword is nice as well. The focus OH gives some good utility as well. The hammer is clunky. The shield seems to be more offensive than the focus. The staff is rather weird. It would be nice for kiting, and I like the might buff. I will most likely end with mace foucs or sword focus.

Stacking Vitality right now.
--
Leaning out a window with a cocked shotgun. Driving up the block in the car they shot Pac in. Looking for Big's killers. Dressing ridiculous. Blue and red like I don't know what the big deal is.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

I'm running guardian as main for the most part. He's at 62 now. I ran greatsword for the most part of leveling. I don't have the traits infront of me but I ran mostly a power and condition damage traitline. Burned enemies and down them fast. Last night I just switched to a defense and power build but I'm not liking it too much.

I think a defense with condition damage build might be fun but might have to go shield and some other weapon than a sword that I had.

Greatsword is really fun. That AOE chain death grip whatever you call it is really nice. I'm still lost on what will be effective on the guardian but from what I've seen they can take damage, deal some damage and heal pretty effectively.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

Right now my most devastating combo is death grip, pull in, rune ground, whirl wind, the AOE fire. I think with some traits into burnging damage and into the on hit burning virtue you really could do alot of conditional dmg.
--
Leaning out a window with a cocked shotgun. Driving up the block in the car they shot Pac in. Looking for Big's killers. Dressing ridiculous. Blue and red like I don't know what the big deal is.

puppy

join:2010-01-28

I think that AOE fire is really cleansing fire, removing conditions from allies. I don't think it does any more damage (although looks pretty!).

I think I read somewhere guardians do have a few interactions that lets them whirl out actual extra fire damage.

That death grip thing is a bit flaky for me. I don't seem to always hit (range maybe shorter than I think) and it doesn't seem to always pull in.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

Have to dob tap that shit. The AOE fire does both cleansing fire and fire dmg to enemies. Its also a combo field so you can whirl and get fire bolts I think its called. A whirl wind on the great sword rune cures conditions of allies around you.

Most of our combo fields are light which aren't that exciting offensively.

Anyone know what a leap through the staff wall does?
--

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2

Started up a guard this weekend, how are everyone's builds progressing? I'm looking at either speccing for tanking or heals (or both) for group play. Has anyone placed a major emphasis on healing? If so, how does the class do?

htin11

join:2000-08-10
Flushing, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by bionicRod:

Started up a guard this weekend, how are everyone's builds progressing? I'm looking at either speccing for tanking or heals (or both) for group play. Has anyone placed a major emphasis on healing? If so, how does the class do?

I started a guardian this week too. Level 11, have work, so only can play 1 hour a night. I have a level 80 human elementist for awhile now, but wow guardian is a lot of fun. Heals in nearly every skill. They definately changed the guardian, i played it during the second open beta, much more better now.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
reply to bionicRod

Theres only healing on some weapons. I believe the staff and scepter. The torch has some condition removal.

I haven't looked into healing but theres where ya start I think.

Theres a few utility spells that give regen and or healing. The spirit bow heals allies as well. The one elite spell is specifically for healing.
--

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

Currently playing great sword, mace + focus. The focus gives a great block spell that blocks the next 3 incoming attacks. Mace gives some regen. Greatsword is all dmg or cc spells.

My utilities are the consecration that burns foes and cures conditions and the retreat shout that gives agis and swiftness.

I have found that I can block alot of those 1 shot type hits with the focus spell and this utility spell along with the heal and block spell. And for emergencies I can pop the virtue for on call agis. We can really mitigate alot of dmg with agis.

For talent points I am starting in boon length and virtue recharge. I plan to go 30 into the top row but not until after I get some points into vitality. The 30 points in the top will be for great sword skills.

Majors I want include 5%dmg on great sword, 25% faster skills on two handers, great swords attacks heal, when any agis you apply is popped the enemy is burned, anytime you block the enemy is burned. Also looking into +% dmg on burned targets.

The basic idea is to block most hard hitting attacks and have them burning most of the time. With the healing from great sword attacks and the regen signet on mace I should have some ok survivability. And I can spam virtues for group play.

I'd like to know how many people I need to have around me to justify using my burning virtue. It gives burning on hit to everyone around you, but on cd I dont get my burn on every 5th hit.
--

bionicRod
Premium
united state

Yeah those CDs on the virtues look like a pain in that you don't get the passive while they're on cool down. I just watched a YT vid on a tankish guardian build. He didn't hit hard but was soloing level 74 group events in Orr, including Champion mobs, with crap gear. He used mace+focus and staff. Looked like fun!

puppy

reply to f0rtys3ven

I found a really great beginner's guide on guardians. Way too long to copy/paste here (at least from my phone :P) but check it out if you are new to the class. The guy goes into what guardians have (boons/meditations/virtues/etc), weapons, weapon synergies, etc etc.

»forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pr···r-s-Text

Since swiftness is a huge part of what I want now for leveling, I looked into where guardians can get it. Seems like the only easy ways out of combat are:

1) The Symbol of Swiftness - 8 secs (15 sec cooldown) - staff skill.

2) The shout "Save yourselves". 10 secs (60 sec cooldown).

3) The shout "Retreat". 20 secs (60 secs cooldown).

You can also trait for longer boon durations and there's are some runes to add duration. Not as awesome as most other classes but it'll have to do...

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to f0rtys3ven

Bumping this thread because I started running my guard again and have really been enjoying it. Has anyone hit 80, and if so, what build are you running? I'm still going for vitality and healing as well as toughness, have to figure out what else I want to spec into. I just got to level 26 and am already feeling pretty tanky. Still trying to figure out the weapons but I like the greatsword for levelling and the staff for the swiftness ability. I use the scepter and torch for ranged.

TheThing

join:2012-08-10
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to f0rtys3ven

My Guardian hit 52 and like Puppy said in the mesmer thread, things are as well starting to "click" at this level

GS with +5% GS damage with -20% 2H wep CD reduction

all points so far in Power+Vitality trees

Guardian's GS spin-to-win does great AOE burst damage, and is mobile!

1 - normal attack
2 - spin-to-win
3 - gap closer jump, which inflicts blindness
4 - slam ground and apply combo field/retaliation field
5 - multiple mob/toon death grip/knock down

once Guardian hits 80, he may become my main toons since his GS is so mobile, and great gap closers

spin to win mobile, great for loot tagging, and gap closers great for PvP

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI

This was my vision.

I wish things like questing could hold my attention. For some reason I am stuck on PVP.

First LoL now CoD.

Maybe I'll fire this up when I get home and bang some levels out.

TheThing

at a minimum get done LoL and GW2 dailies

bionicRod
Premium
united state

I always get stuck on the same thing with GW2 dailies...events. 3 would be ok. 5 is annoying when you're exploring a new map.

TheThing

I can show you a spot the next time we both on, where getting in the 5 is easy

this hotspot has about 5-7 that rapid cycle

bionicRod
Premium
united state

said by TheThing:

I can show you a spot the next time we both on, where getting in the 5 is easy

this hotspot has about 5-7 that rapid cycle

Yeah I know a ton of spots too, but if I'm trying to level up a new toon on a new map I don't want to have to go searching for a spot to farm events for my jug of karma. If I don't get the 5 events through natural map progression I don't even bother.

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast

I do the opposite.

I focus on getting the daily done at all costs, then after that I move forward with new zone hearts/progression.

the daily karma bonus is too big to pass up! and someimtes you get bonus goodies for free

puppy

reply to f0rtys3ven

Remember you can finish the daily using any # of toons. I often switch just to get the types of mobs portion done.

You can park an inactive toon near that bridge the centaurs try to repair. That chain (repair, lieutenants, boss) goes off like every 10 minutes or so it seems :P The apple grove in human zone has lots of spider problems too

puppy

reply to f0rtys3ven

So TheThing, are you liking the guardian more than the warrior now? I want to like the guardian cuz all the blue shiny things but weapon skills feel like oomph than the warrior.

TheThing

reply to puppy

sylvaria seem to have fly problems around there night lanterns/streets

puppy

Yar that too. That chain starts with helping to collect firefly essences I think.

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast

I've been so focused on leveling my guardian when I do play him, I have experimented very little

my 80 warrior steals leveling time from guardian

but when I have experimented on Guardian, it just seems there is so much variety in playstyle with the weapons, I don't even know where to start...

in WvW, I was running something+shield and protecting all of my troops under a castle siege, it was awesome

and then there is some staff ability that you can spam for aoe very quickly

the funny thing is, in WoW my roots were always PvP, and in GW2 I'm so hooked on PvE I haven't even gotten a chanced to REALLY get into PvP

gonna have to hit 80 and really test out the guardian to see who I like better

GS playstyle is tons of fun in PvE, but in PvP hundred blades is just not mobile... and in PvP thats bad

my warrior is charr, and I love charr... wish I made my guardian charr to begin with... he's sylvari

puppy

Remake your guardian now!

Leveling is easy, staring at an ugly plant face after you spend $$$ on armor is sad puppy face.

I agree, guardian seems to have a lot more variety, that's why I was considering leveling one as well (got one to like 7 so far), but I'm not sure of their farming zerg ability. Some posts say staff 1 can do it, others say GS spin...

puppy

reply to f0rtys3ven

Nice!

Just read this snippet in reddit:

He is referring to a combination of two different traits: Inspired Virtue and Renewed Justice.

Inspired Justice grants boons to nearby allies when a virtue is activated. For Virtue of Justice specifically, it gives three stacks of Might. Renewed Justice resets the cooldown of Virtue of Justice whenever you kill a foe.

When you kill a large amount of mobs quickly with these two traits applied, it results in a large amount of might being applied to people around you.

Whine... guardian or warrior... whine...

Edit: The thread I posted this morning for the "Sonic Boon" warrior mentions that your +boon duration bonus applies to the boons YOU place on other people as well, whee fun!

Edit2: A followup post, this seems the way to go for leveling guardian:

if traited, activating VoJ can also give 3 stacks of might to self and allies (virtues 5 pts), and in the radiance line, activating VoJ can also blind mobs, and blinds can add vulnerability. 15 points gets you Renewed Justice which upon any mob that you kill (finishing blow not required), VoJ is refreshed. i.e. in PvE, against large mobs, you can pretty much spam VoJ. constant blinds. constant burning. constant might stacks. DD

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast

I figured out the Rune +Boon, +Might duration on my own!

and it's cheap too!

the way I see it:

Warrior:
Primary - DPS
Secondary - Support

Guardian:
Primary - Support
Secondary - DPS

if you want more variety in support go Guardian, if you want more variety in DPS go warrior

or go both! it's F2P, you have all the time in the world!

bionicRod
Premium
united state

said by TheThing:

or go both! it's F2P, you have all the time in the world!

I like the way you think! I haven't gotten far in either of these classes, which has better tanking traits? I know the guardian has some good ones, does the warrior also?

TheThing

Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to puppy

+30 points in power tree for guardian gives: "GS attacks heal"

WTF!?!?!?

if traited accordingly, GS attacks heal, GS +5% damage, and -20% CD reduction on GS abilities

and I love GS abilities

right now using "Retreat" shout, "Save yourself" shout, signet that gives -10% damage for passive (reminds me of righteous fury on old ret pally)... and my puppy pet that applies bleed damage

Otto Stern

@ameritech.net

Honestly the GS attacks heal talent is a little lackluster. You are far better off focused on using altruistic healing the level 30 toughness trait combined with empowering might (level 20 vitality tree) and some sort of a shouts build. Basically anytime you put out a boon people get healed.

It works well with the GS and Hammer, however I have been palying around using sword/focus combined with scepter/torch using a 0/20/30/20/0 build and I feel pretty invincible. Using knight's gear.