ctggzg
Premium Member
join:2005-02-11
USA

1 edit

ctggzg

Premium Member

Lawn mower won't stay running

We have a two-year-old Yard Machines / Briggs & Stratton walk-behind mower that hasn't really been maintained in those two years. It was running fine until a few days ago. The engine still starts consistently but now dies after a couple of seconds. Today I replaced a blackened spark plug and dirty air filter, but it didn't help. The oil looks fine. What else could be the problem?

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA

shdesigns

Premium Member

Re: Lawn mower won't start

Most likely a gummed up carb. Second cause would be bad coil.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to ctggzg

Premium Member

to ctggzg

Re: Lawn mower won't stay running

Have a year old JD walk behind and it had similar problems. It was dirt in the carb.

OT - but the JD walk behind we had for 15 yrs was 100X better than the new one. I noticed the local JD store selling Hondas

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey to shdesigns

Premium Member

to shdesigns

Had same problem with Lawnboy. Since I don't know squat about small motors had it professional cleaned. Same problem about year later. About month into season. Think it turned out to be cased by bad gas. No I don't keep gas around year long.

Second time around added fresh fuel with fuel stabilizer added. When I little heavy on the stabilizer. (It was this is going to work or I am getting new one anyway.) Keep starting in and pressing the primer bulb just before it would die. It starting running longer and longer. After about 15 to 30 minutes of this it stayed running.

Been over 1.5 years now and no further problems. I keep fuel stabilizer in all my gas for my mowers now.

Don't buy gas from that station anymore.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH

Pacrat to ctggzg

MVM

to ctggzg

I suspect it's debris in the fuel line/carb. It's amazing how easily leaf/grass debris can enter the fuel system. Some years ago, I had a Cub Cadet tractor that suddenly started to cough and wheeze, then quit out of the clear blue sky. No problem at all in getting it started, but after a few seconds or a minute it would sputter to a complete "cardiac arrest". Baffled the hell out of me. I cleaned the fuel filter, blew out the fuel line, cleaned the carb, used fresh gasoline... nuthin' worked. The gas tank on my Cub was sort of a translucent white and just on a hunch, I put a bright light under it while looking into the fill hole. Damned if there wasn't a dark shadow where there shouldn't be. After using a siphon pump to remove the gas (most of it anyway) I could actually see part of a maple leaf on the bottom of the tank. The outlet was also on the bottom of the tank and what would happen was the leaf would float/drift around until it got close enough to be pulled over the outlet hole... completely cutting of the flow of fuel. With the engine off, the vacuum would release, and the leaf would just "float" away, allowing the flow of gasoline once more. To verify my apparent diagnosis, I started the tractor, and peered into the gas tank. What I saw was the leaf bit slowly work its way over the outlet hole and the tractor would sputter to a stop. I drained/removed the remaining gasoline and fashioned a "sticky stick" and managed to pull the leaf shard out of the tank. Upon the removal of the foreign material, that Cub purred like a kitten! Now, I'm almost anal about making sure the area around the filler cap is completely clear of any dust or debris before I take the cap off to fuel the Cub. I suspect you have a variation of the same problem.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to shdesigns

to shdesigns

I second shdesigns' gummed up carb assumption.

I don't know if you had a long gap between the last time it ran successfully and now. It's possible the carb got gummed up from old fuel while sitting in storage.

My B&S mower was barely a year old, but one single winter in storage without draining the fuel and it wanted to die in the spring. My hedge trimmer was worse off, it would stall seconds after I turned off the choke.

Here was my solution (And do an oil change while at it):

1 - Drain all the old fuel from the tank and fuel line (If you can't/don't know for the fuel line, just keep pulling the string until the engine won't even react).

2 - Find the carburator (Usually it's behind the air intake/filter, so remove that).

3 - Spray carb cleaner (I used aerosol seafoam) into it, make sure the butterfly valve is opened up (Hold the handle down as if the engine was running).

4 - Pretend to start it (Pull once or twice). It might even start for a few seconds. Don't worry about the smoke

5 - Spray more carb cleaner

6 - Let it sit for a while

7 - Now put just a bit of fresh gasoline in the tank and start it without the filter box in the way.

8 - Let it run and a couple of times a minute spray more carb cleaner while it's running.

You should be good to go. If not, you need to dismantle the carb and clean it up.

From now on, never fill up the gas tank.
Always put the minimum quantity you think you'll need to get the job done for that one day. You never know if you'll have a drought and that the grass won't need to be cut for a month or two.

Long gone are the days that you just filled up the gas tank every time and never worried about the age of the fuel

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

natedj to ctggzg

Premium Member

to ctggzg

n/m
ctggzg
Premium Member
USA

ctggzg to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

I don't know if you had a long gap between the last time it ran successfully and now. It's possible the carb got gummed up from old fuel while sitting in storage.

It had only been a week. I have to mow frequently here in South Florida where it's hot and wet all year.

So it's almost unanimous then. I'll get some carb cleaner and a YouTube crash course on how to use it. If that doesn't work then I'll just have it professionally serviced. There are some black specks at the bottom of the gas tank and it's overdue for oil and blade maintenance anyway.

Thanks.
join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

8744675 to ctggzg

to ctggzg

Probably a gummed up carb or the float is stuck up. My old mower used to do it all the time. Enough gas seeps in to fill the carb bowl, and when you start it the gas in the bowl burns up and it dies because the float is stuck or gas can't flow through the gummed up holes fast enough to keep it running.

Sometimes tilting the mower back and forth on the front wheels and back wheels, and letting it drop several times to give it a jolt will release the float or unclog it enough to mow the lawn.

Jimdaboe
join:2001-01-16
Corpus Christi, TX
TP-Link Archer C8
Linksys E2500

Jimdaboe to ctggzg

to ctggzg
It's a plugged jet hole in the carb bowl bolt. Unscrew the brass bolt at bottom of the aluminium carb bowl. Clean out the holes in the bolt (one passage down the middle and either 2 or 3 side holes). You can use a small wire or paper clip. clean out the bowl and reinstall. Done!
ctggzg
Premium Member
USA

ctggzg to 8744675

Premium Member

to 8744675
said by 8744675:

Sometimes tilting the mower back and forth on the front wheels and back wheels, and letting it drop several times to give it a jolt will release the float or unclog it enough to mow the lawn.

Sounds like our previous mower that had similar problems before we replaced it. At one point the engine would die if it was tilted just slightly forward when going down an incline. When it sputtered I tilted it on its back wheels and the engine recovered.

Is the carburetor the small part with the air filter on top and the primer button on the front?

shdesigns