Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to battleop

Re: If you look deep enough into the DSLR archives...

same here! This proves that Munis have NO BUSINESS operating broadband networks, even as the last mile wholesale operator. Time make Congress pass their pending bill to stop these from going any farther. If this was actually needed it would have more than broke even by now. But instead all of these poor residents are going to be stuck with their bill.

Way to go Utah!

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
Congress pass a law to tell states what they can and can't do with in their own borders? HAHAHAHHA That's a good one!

Since you're an expert at, well.. everything, it appears.. please, tell us what the role of the federal government is. Is it to tell the states how to operate their own business?

I am NO fan of muni projects because government can't run many things very well. An EFFECTIVE government provides ADEQUATE (not too much, not too little) over sight and regulation of business in order to lay a good foundation.. good policy allows business to flourish. However, I am STRONGLY against federalism and I do NOT agree with ANYONE that doesn't understand what state's rights are.

We are a nation of laws.. I'm sorry that some people, MANY PEOPLE, do not understand them and try to tread all over them in their own self indulgent anger.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to hottboiinnc
The only way I can see room for a muni network is when the network is treated just like like roads.

The best thing about dialup was that you could buy internet from multiple sources. The Dialup ISP bought connectivity into the PSTN in the form of PRIs or Channelized T1s. The end user bought a POTS line and then they picked the ISP of their choice.

What ultimately killed the Dialup ISP was that there was no way for the dialup ISP to access a high speed last mile network that wasn't owned by a competitor who was hell bent on running them out of business by every means except fair competition.

If you really want to foster real competition stop catering to the mega huge multi billion dollar companies and look to small business to innovate. I.E. stop catering to Google, Verizon, AT&T, Comcast, etc...

Muni networks could help foster this if they helped to create a more competitive environment where they are focused on bringing high speed internet to citizens instead of putting them out of business.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to fiberguy
+1

It's no secret that I hate Muni projects but creating laws outlaw will only make things worse.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.