Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

planiwa

join:2009-02-19
Toronto M5S
kudos:1
reply to FiReSTaRT

Re: Cancelling Fibe after a month to get a clean line for free?

said by FiReSTaRT:

Just to clarify one point here.. Unless you're a Bell customer and are paying for wire care, they aren't obligated to touch your inside wiring. They may do it as a courtesy, but I've seen them do it for wholesale ISP customers as well (very rare as they openly admit to being instructed to be as unhelpful as possible while still somewhat meeting their contractual obligations). The $100 diagnostic maintenance charge is to cover their expenses when they send a tech to deal with an issue they're not responsible for. If you wanna spend $100, just get a professional to run a proper jack from the demarc/NID/terminal to where you'll be running your modem.

Someone else here said that Bell does wire Fibe (25/10) from the Demarc to where you want the Fibe-modem jack to be at no cost to the customer.

My assumption was that they use something like CAT6e nonstop from Demarc to modem jack.

Another assumption was that the Bell Tec will be able not only to install the wire from the Demark to where the modem is, but will also ensure the quality of the wire from the Demarc to the Fibre-box. (What's the proper name for that?)

Final assumption -- the Bell Tech will make sure that the entire wire from fibre-box to modem is of sufficient quality to actually provide 25/20 (assuming that the fibre box is close enough, which it should be in the city).

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada
Reviews:
·Velcom

I can't confirm any of those as I got the 25/7 plan with an independent provider, have an indoor terminal and ran my own Cat6 (not that it's any better for this purpose than Cat5, it was just what I had lying around). Then they sent another contractor who wanted to put in a POTS splitter even though I'm running a dry loop. The contractor did some testing and we even ran some speed tests to make sure everything was fine since I was unable to pull stats from the Cellpipe piece of junk.
--
If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas.
—George Bernard Shaw

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to planiwa

said by planiwa:

My assumption was that they use something like CAT6e nonstop from Demarc to modem jack.

The 50-1200m between your demarc and the DSLAM is Cat3 or equivalent, there is no point in using Cat6e or even plain Cat5 for the last 5-10m.

xbell

@cgocable.net

said by InvalidError:

said by planiwa:

The 50-1200m between your demarc and the DSLAM is Cat3 or equivalent, there is no point in using Cat6e or even plain Cat5 for the last 5-10m.

Except that last 5-10m is where you will run into the most problems with nearby electrical that cat. 3 may not overcome.

The vast majority of the loop to your home is shielded, bonded and grounded and your ISW is not.

The Diagnostic charge is $89.00 plus tax and they stop work at the demarc.

The inside wire repair charge is $99.00 plus tax and up to repair inside wire.

I have seen charges in the hundreds of dollars the highest being around $350.00.