RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1
reply to Beaverbob140

Re: Extreme 305

I'd love 305, and I'm within a half mile of our Node (it's between two poles on Vineyard Oaks Dr), but not for 300 bucks, are they kidding? The cable, power and telephone lines run to the corner of Vineyard Oaks Dr and Forsythe Dr, then drop underground at that spot as our development (Forsythe Village) has all underground utilities. This is a very rural area (Mendocino County, NW CA), so I doubt we'll even see this anytime soon.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

1 edit
of course nobody is going to pay for it
but they'll roll it out slowly anyway
then one day it will only be 250$

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA
said by JigglyWiggly:

of course nobody is going to pay for it
but they'll roll it out slowly anyway
then one day it will only be 250$

Lol $250, what a bargain!

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

1 recommendation

reply to RR Conductor
said by RR Conductor:

I'd love 305, and I'm within a half mile of our Node (it's between two poles on Vineyard Oaks Dr), but not for 300 bucks, are they kidding? The cable, power and telephone lines run to the corner of Vineyard Oaks Dr and Forsythe Dr, then drop underground at that spot as our development (Forsythe Village) has all underground utilities. This is a very rural area (Mendocino County, NW CA), so I doubt we'll even see this anytime soon.

One way to think about it would be slightly less than one dollar per megabit of downstream bandwidth, versus three times that for Blast up here. Considering the relatively specialized equipment and setup, it seems cheap to me.
--
KI6RIT

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:20
reply to RR Conductor
It's FIBER to your home

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA

2 edits
said by DrDrew:

It's FIBER to your home

Companies here in NorCal like Surewest and and Sonic are offering FTTH for FAR Less than 300 bucks. I doubt we'll see FTTH here in Mendocino County anytime soon, but who knows, I was suprised in 2000 when Adelphia announced they'd upgrade the entire system here for Digital Cable in 2001, and HSI in 2002, they did it and I rejoiced! Adelphia got the system here in Mendocino County from Century Communications, whom they acquired in 1999.

»www.wired.com/techbiz/media/news ··· 03/18294

Then of course Comcast got us from Adelphia

Edit-They might find a lot of buyers in certain locations in the Bay Area (ie.Palo Alto, Atherton), but I doubt they would for that up here, this is a relatively poor country. I bet they're only targeting areas with existing fiber competition, but 300 seems awfully steep.