dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« heh(topic offline) jiop »
This is a sub-selection from it'd be funny if...

Chiyo
Save Me Konata-Chan
Premium Member
join:2003-02-20
Salisbury, NC

Chiyo to neufuse

Premium Member

to neufuse

Re: it'd be funny if...

Sadly I think she is right. I think we are stuck with what we have and won't be seeing any national fiber deployments anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong but we'll see.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

1 recommendation

elray

KC will demonstrate, at the expense of Google shareholders and taxpayers, once again, that only a minority population is willing to pay the price for fiber speeds.

Google is not offering a competitive product.

Time Warner has little to worry about unless Google un-bundles its TV tier and substantially lowers prices.
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Please ship me some of what you are smoking as I want to go through life being as delusional as you.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by Skippy25:

Please ship me some of what you are smoking as I want to go through life being as delusional as you.

It's called "shill-weed" and it only grows in corporate boardrooms and PR offices. The stuff is garbage anyways...
Os
join:2011-01-26
US

Os to elray

to elray
Really? How much will 10/1 internet and basic digital cable cost you from TWC? I bet you more than $120 unless you're on a yearly promo.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to elray

to elray
said by elray:

You either smoke some good shit or have some serious mental issues.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to elray

to elray
You do realize that the so called fibre costs are about what tw charges for 50mb right?
LucasLee
join:2010-11-26

LucasLee to elray

to elray
said by elray:

only a minority population is willing to pay the price for fiber speeds.

today, perhaps.
but it's silly to build infrastructure that will be outdated by tomorrow.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to 34764170

Premium Member

to 34764170
said by 34764170:

said by elray:

You either smoke some good shit or have some serious mental issues.

Never one to mince words are ya?

David
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL

David to Chiyo

Premium Member

to Chiyo
said by Chiyo:

Sadly I think she is right.

I think she's right too.
said by Chiyo:

I think we are stuck with what we have and won't be seeing any national fiber deployments anytime soon. I hope I'm wrong but we'll see.

Agreed, unless you can get investors on board with a decent return on investment, or government paying the full bill, you are very correct.
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray to Os

to Os
said by Os:

Really? How much will 10/1 internet and basic digital cable cost you from TWC? I bet you more than $120 unless you're on a yearly promo.

Sorry, but promos are the way of the world. I don't like it either, but we manage to use them year after year to achieve reasonable pricing.

We disconnected basic cable years ago when things went digital, and we haven't looked back since. IF we were to order same, today, we would get "basic digital cable" and 10/1 service for $60/month with a 1-year price guarantee, after which it would more than double if we didn't renegotiate.

I experience similar offerings for Cox and Charter in nearby areas; Comcast is more difficult, always has been, makes U-Verse seem competitive.

We currently pay $30/month for 10/1 with a 1-year price guarantee. We can downgrade to 3/1 for $20/month.

We have a 10Gbit fiber ring six feet from my door that my tax money paid for over a decade now, but neither the Muni nor AT&T will let us access it.
elray

1 recommendation

elray to me1212

to me1212
said by me1212:

You do realize that the so called fibre costs are about what tw charges for 50mb right?

Yes, of course.

Do you realize that most households aren't interested in paying $70/month for broadband?

Most households don't require 50mbit, or 20mbit - they're happy with 3Mbit, so fiber isn't the issue you think it is. Verizon has proven this for years with Fios.

The households I've converted over the past few years are coming from DSL speeds of 80-144kbps (and less!). 3-7M cable (typical offering) blows them away.

skuv
@rr.com

skuv to me1212

Anon

to me1212
You do realize that price for Google fiber is being supported by free access from KC government to buildings, right?

They aren't offering free building access for TWC to house their equipment.

Or that the price is just a loss leader for promotion?

So technically, it is not a competitive price, if you factor in the costs it would actually take to deliver this.
Crookshanks
join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

Crookshanks to elray

to elray
said by elray:

Verizon has proven this for years with Fios.

I think you meant to say DSL?

Concur with the sentiment of your post. Once you get over 3mbit/s it's really gravy to the average user. They don't notice a difference. The only users who might are those who are interested in HD streaming, but the last time I checked that can be accomplished at 5mbit/s on Netflix, so once again, these double digit speeds are unnecessary for most.

What's going to suck is I can see the MSOs eliminating the slower tiers in the future. This is essentially what the wireless carriers are doing with voice plans, and it doesn't require a huge leap of faith to see the same happening with broadband. Offer a crippled product at today's prices (say 1mbit/s for $40/mo), an excessive product that most don't need for much more (50mbit/s for $70/mo), with nothing in between, then roll around naked in the resulting pile of cash like Scrooge McDuck.
elray
Santa Monica, CA

1 edit

elray

said by Crookshanks:

said by elray:

Verizon has proven this for years with Fios.

I think you meant to say DSL?

Concur with the sentiment of your post. Once you get over 3mbit/s it's really gravy to the average user. They don't notice a difference. The only users who might are those who are interested in HD streaming, but the last time I checked that can be accomplished at 5mbit/s on Netflix, so once again, these double digit speeds are unnecessary for most.

What's going to suck is I can see the MSOs eliminating the slower tiers in the future. This is essentially what the wireless carriers are doing with voice plans, and it doesn't require a huge leap of faith to see the same happening with broadband. Offer a crippled product at today's prices (say 1mbit/s for $40/mo), an excessive product that most don't need for much more (50mbit/s for $70/mo), with nothing in between, then roll around naked in the resulting pile of cash like Scrooge McDuck.

No, I mean Fios.

Verizon can't achieve much more than 30% penetration with Fios. The super-majority of potential customers aren't willing to pay the premium they charge. This has been consistent for seven years.

Google, EPB, et al, aren't going to achieve any greater subscription levels if they're charging $60-70/month for standalone broadband, in a marketplace where the MSO has a $20-40 option, or the Telco has a decent copper offering.

Not until those higher speeds become useful to Mom.

As for "rolling in cash", I think if you put aside the hyperbole, and instead, examined the annual returns, you would find that profit margins at the large MSOs and telcos isn't that spectacular year to year - and if it is, why don't you own their stock?
Core0000
Premium Member
join:2008-05-04
Somerset, KY

Core0000 to Chiyo

Premium Member

to Chiyo
I agree... if big wigs like her are in charge, we'll probably never see anything truly advancing such as fiber to the home happen... *sighs* I wish NewWaveCommunications hadn't sold to TimeWarner in my area...
« heh(topic offline) jiop »
This is a sub-selection from it'd be funny if...