how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

puppy

join:2010-01-28
reply to bionicRod

Re: GW2: Engineer Thread

BTW for any newbie engineers, putting 10 points into the Tools trait can get you "Speedy Kits - Gain swiftness for 5 seconds when ever you equip a kit. This effect cannot trigger more then once every 5 seconds.".

Godly permanent swiftness, even easier than elementalist, just press 7 twice

Still not as good as the 25% swiftness signet that thieves have but better than nothing!

Edit: Got my pink little girl asura engineer to 17 over the weekend, using double pistols and grenades mostly, kiting a lot. I love the flamethrower visuals but doesn't seem to kill fast enough. Turrets keep getting knocked over by mobs as well

BTW in case you didn't know, when you see those flamethrower numbers like "100! 150! 200! 278! 350!" pop up, those are running numbers, so your TOTAL damage to that target is actually 350, and not separate hits of 100, 150, etc.

Edit2: I've been drinking elixir B just for its swiftness boost while leveling (until I get speedy kits). You can also throw it on yourself (using F3) but I don't seem to get swiftness from that, just armor/etc.

bionicRod
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium
join:2009-07-06
united state
kudos:2

If you don't want to spec into tools just for the swiftness perk, you can equip the med kit. Skill 5 is the speed boost. It lasts almost as long as the cooldown.

Flamethrower is amazing for draining groups of mobs. The bigger the group the better it works. If they get too close, hit smoke vent (a blind, skill 5), lay down the line of napalm (skill 4) and make them run across it. Blow them back across it (skill 3) for more damage. You can get big dps if you get the distance right on skill 2 (it travels through mobs then explodes at the far end of its range). I am specced for condition damage, 20% extra burn duration, and regen when using a kit so YMMV. Flamethrower sucks against single targets though compared to dual pistols.

puppy

There was some quest that gave me a med kit so I tried the stimulant thingy it gave. I didn't really like it because it drops on the ground, then I spend a second running over it to activate it.

Last night I got to 20 and respeced to speedy kits. Holy mother of Flash. Each time you equip a kit you get 5 seconds, so I would equip (5 sec swift). 1 second later the kit swap cooldown ends and I unequip kit to get it ready for next sprint. That and elixir B made me run through the syverli starting zone like nobody's business! This will ruin me for every other class I think

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

Wait...You got to level 20 without rolling another alt?

bionicRod
Premium
united state
reply to puppy

You don't have to stop to pick up the stimulant, activate it while moving and you get it instantly because it drops directly in front of you. Speccing into speedy kits seems like a waste to me when the med kit goes into your healing slot. You still get a heal on the function bar plus 4 heals to drop on the ground for others in addition to the swiftness. Personal taste I guess. But yeah, having played a little bit of 5 classes now the engi is definitely my favorite.

puppy

reply to I AM

There must have been multiple alt births/deaths since the engineer was born! She just gets splices of play in between, like all my other alts.

Tonight it will be a new guardian!

Edit: OK I will have to try that med kit again, yar it would be nice to not have to use speedy kits, but very convenience and 100% uptime.

Edit2: Oh I got the healing turret as well last night. Very very nice! Besides the fact it has a small radius, its cooldown is only 20 seconds and I like how it keeps healing me while I flame down mobs.

facepalm

join:2012-08-20
Lumberton, TX

Got the flame thrower yet?

puppy

Yup, the first thing I got! I'm finding it a bit underwhelming though, takes a while to take down one mob. In big events though I can take it out and spray love and joy.

I'm mostly questing with dual pistols and grenades right nwo...

facepalm

Lumberton, TX

said by puppy:

I'm mostly questing with dual pistols and grenades right nwo...

Same here. It's my favorite combination, although I do like the bomb kit for larger events too. Grenades rule underwater and do very well in WvWvW. I just can't warm up to the rifle. The duration between shots seems like forever. lol
--
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. ~ Thomas Jefferson

bionicRod
Premium
united state

I'm still using dual pistols for single target and flamethrower for AOE. I use grenades in WvW and underwater. I can see the utility in the shield, and think it looks cool, but don't really use it. The rifle is good for cheating at jumping puzzles (skill 5 ).

puppy

oh rlry! I didnt think of #5, you sneaky guy you!

bionicRod
Premium
united state

So how are you guys speccing? I maxed out vitality and put 10 points into toughness and I gotta tell you, it helps. I've seen world bosses 1 shot everyone in an area but me. The tradeoff is that every mob your level takes a while to whittle down damage wise because I've also maxed out DOTs.

Mcrobrewer
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Trenton, NJ

said by bionicRod:

So how are you guys speccing? I maxed out vitality and put 10 points into toughness and I gotta tell you, it helps. I've seen world bosses 1 shot everyone in an area but me. The tradeoff is that every mob your level takes a while to whittle down damage wise because I've also maxed out DOTs.

Currently traitwie I have 5 in Explosives... 15 in firearms.... 5 in inventions and 10 in Alcemy...

My gear is precision/ condition damage based...

I am going to change my gear to vitality and toughness based.... and use that for dungeons....

High precision is great but you are a glass cannon.
--
Obama is a liar.... a cheat... a person of low moral character... the least common denominator...

bionicRod
Premium
united state

Yeah it's hard to choose. I originally specced into explosives but traded it in for alchemy for the health pool. I have 30 in firearms, 10 in inventions and 30 in alchemy. I have 27,312 health and a crit chance at 49%.

Mcrobrewer
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Trenton, NJ

said by bionicRod:

Yeah it's hard to choose. I originally specced into explosives but traded it in for alchemy for the health pool. I have 30 in firearms, 10 in inventions and 30 in alchemy. I have 27,312 health and a crit chance at 49%.

That is a ton of health... what is your armor like. I have about 20k health but my crit rate is only 23%.

I have mostly vitality and toughness armor
--
Obama is a liar.... a cheat... a person of low moral character... the least common denominator...

Meeps

reply to puppy

said by puppy:

BTW for any newbie engineers, putting 10 points into the Tools trait can get you "Speedy Kits - Gain swiftness for 5 seconds when ever you equip a kit. This effect cannot trigger more then once every 5 seconds.".

Godly permanent swiftness, even easier than elementalist, just press 7 twice

Edit2: I've been drinking elixir B just for its swiftness boost while leveling (until I get speedy kits). You can also throw it on yourself (using F3) but I don't seem to get swiftness from that, just armor/etc.

Thank you for mentioning that, I've been using Exiler B for the same purpose, I might try out speedy kits, sounds very handy (along with Elixer B, for supah speed!).

Also, I'm going to try flamethrower later, seems... interesting

facepalm

Lumberton, TX

Flame thrower seems to get better and better. I love it. Great aoe if you can get the mobs close together.
--
Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not. ~ Thomas Jefferson