how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

PastTense

join:2011-07-06
united state

If FIOS raises prices, why switch?

If FIOS raises prices, why would people switch from cable to FIOS? People can clearly see lower prices, while all businesses talk about their product being superior. This new strategy will simply result in a low market share for FIOS.

FloridaBoy

join:2009-06-22
Bradenton, FL
It really is unbelieveable. This makes me wonder what he is smokin to think this is a good idea.

seamore
Premium
join:2009-11-02
The things people say to make money.

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to PastTense
As much as I hate to say it... VZ is raising rate at a slower frequency than Comcast.

FiOS also demolishes Comcast in transmission quality, at least in my area.

So I guess the lesson is either cut the cord or bend over and take it .
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

elefante72

join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY
reply to PastTense
No surprise. This is business 101. Get traction, raise prices, introduce gaps in preferential pricing. Every beef on this thread is exactly what Verizon wants.

With that said, Verizon sunk a lot of capital into my GPON, and TWC is busy plastering my mailbox w/ $89 deals w/ a whole home DVR for free. When my NO CONTRACT price lock expires in Jan, you bet I will be having a stocking stuffer of either VZ or TWC. They are commodities to me, nothing more.

I think Verizon made a big mistake in running B/GPON's and they know it. They should have run Ethernet optical SW/copper and handled optical at the node level. That way they wouldn't have to keep swapping equipment at the prem, or if they do, just a transceiver/router.

The sooner these yoyos understand they are simple commodities the better. Since I use only a cable card, I just swap it out and reprogram the channels. Now for $10 a month I'm not going to move, but for $30, suck eggs.

BTW - I'm perfectly happy w/ my 25/25. It serves my needs. But alas Verizon is not happy, and who cares about the customer?

I think Verizon got caught flat footed on how quickly the dinosaur cable companies rolled out D3 and ate their DSL and FIOS lunch. As I said they are commodities...Perfectly fungible. So the quants decided that 30% penetration was all they were going to get, so slowly turn up the heat to maximize profits.

tdar

join:2004-04-05
Satellite Beach, FL
reply to FloridaBoy
said by FloridaBoy:

It really is unbelieveable. This makes me wonder what he is smokin to think this is a good idea.

He's smokin the newly installed Wall Street air they have filled the HQ with. What exactly is a "price up". These people can't even speak English, they think they are so superior to their customers they invent words to try to bs us, as if we are so stupid that we won't know what they are really saying. Maybe it's the fact that the last guy to have his job was paid $9,793,921.00 a year, I'm sure he's getting even more.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to PastTense
said by PastTense:

If FIOS raises prices, why would people switch from cable to FIOS? People can clearly see lower prices, while all businesses talk about their product being superior. This new strategy will simply result in a low market share for FIOS.

So you can feel extra special because the fiber goes all the way to your home instead of to the node on the street?

sholling
Premium
join:2002-02-13
Hemet, CA
reply to PastTense
Once you have FiOS installed they cut the copper line and there is no going back to DSL so it's FiOS or cable from one of Verizon's partners in the cable business. Verizon has always had a policy of never competing on price - only on the quality of their services. They expect to charge premium prices for a best of breed service and now that the footprint expansion is over it's time to kick back and rake in the money. I don't mind paying for quality but will cut back on services rather than exceed my budget - I've reached the limit of what I'm willing to pay for TV and internet and will get by with lower speeds and fewer channels once my contract is up.

The price hikes are also the result of a cable/telecom duopoly acting in collusion to bring you higher prices for less service and it's only going to get worse as long as they are allowed to "partner" instead of being encouraged to compete. If there was actual competition cable wouldn't dare cap data and neither would dare raise prices.
--
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
--FREDERIC BASTIAT--

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2
I have Fios and I still have 2 copper lines running into my house.....
--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

jjeffeory

join:2002-12-04
USA
reply to elefante72
The GPON is the best solution. Get rid of copper completely!

sholling
Premium
join:2002-02-13
Hemet, CA
reply to N3OGH
It's rare and has been. They let me keep copper phone lines with FiOS TV for a bit but once I went to fios internet and canceled phone service they cut the copper. I asked them not to but they did it anyway. It's SOP to cut the copper.
--
"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."
--FREDERIC BASTIAT--
Expand your moderator at work

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to seamore

Re: If FIOS raises prices, why switch?

this from the same guy who also said people don't need unlimited data on their cell phones and people like their new share everything plans.
What he forgot to account for is the people who lost unlimited when they upgraded.