spc
uniqs
tanzam75
join:2012-07-19

tanzam75 to danclan

to danclan

Re: It just doesn't make sense.

said by danclan:

I think someone at FiOS just failed business 101....

Hardly.

Verizon simply does not want unbundled customers, and they've set their pricing to make sure of that. They charge $70 for 15/5, but just $80 for 15/5 plus TV, and $85 for triple-play. (Note: prices are pre-tax.)

The Cablevision equivalent would be $50 for 20/2, plus another $60 for Optimum Value TV ($65 - $5 bundle discount), plus another $35 for Optimum Voice. New customers can get a triple-play bundle for $90 for a year, but the normal price is $145.

Cablevision is cheaper for: (1) People who want broadband without the bundle (2) People who move frequently and can keep getting new customer discounts (3) People who like to haggle over the phone to get better deals.

But FiOS is cheaper for everyone else. If you buy a bundle, if you've bought a house and will be staying put for 10 years, if you dislike haggling over the phone with Cablevision's sales reps.

Never underestimate how different the average American is from the average DSLReports reader.

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan

I'm not but in the current case of decreasing or no disposable income, Verzion is driving customers away with constant noise of price increases regardless of perceived or real savings.

Every one wants bundled contracted customers, for the simple reason is that they can book that cash flow.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007 to tanzam75

Premium Member

to tanzam75
said by tanzam75:

said by danclan:

I think someone at FiOS just failed business 101....

Hardly.

Verizon simply does not want unbundled customers, and they've set their pricing to make sure of that. They charge $70 for 15/5, but just $80 for 15/5 plus TV, and $85 for triple-play. (Note: prices are pre-tax.)

The Cablevision equivalent would be $50 for 20/2, plus another $60 for Optimum Value TV ($65 - $5 bundle discount), plus another $35 for Optimum Voice. New customers can get a triple-play bundle for $90 for a year, but the normal price is $145.

Cablevision is cheaper for: (1) People who want broadband without the bundle (2) People who move frequently and can keep getting new customer discounts (3) People who like to haggle over the phone to get better deals.

But FiOS is cheaper for everyone else. If you buy a bundle, if you've bought a house and will be staying put for 10 years, if you dislike haggling over the phone with Cablevision's sales reps.

Never underestimate how different the average American is from the average DSLReports reader.

It needs to be pointed out that Verizon $85 for 3-play is also a promotional price.
15444104 (banned)
join:2012-06-11

15444104 (banned) to danclan

to danclan
That is the issue, these brASS tacks that occupy executive offices at these big companies have COMPLETELY lost touch with the market they are serving. Sure there are a few percent of the population whose incomes are rising and those households can spend endlessly on luxuries like high speed internet, while the VAST MAJORITY increasingly cannot.

These CEOs need to get their heads out of the Wall Street Grand Ass and come back to reality.

williewonk
@173.245.64.x

williewonk to JoeSchmoe007

Anon

to JoeSchmoe007
you have to understand on tv weather fios or cable or dish they all pay for the channels per subscriber so they dont make any money on tv they make it on internet and telephone. Thats it.
tanzam75

1 edit

tanzam75 to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007
said by JoeSchmoe007:

It needs to be pointed out that Verizon $85 for 3-play is also a promotional price.

What's the real price? I can't find it on Verizon's website. (Cablevision, to their credit, is more up-front about it -- they have a link right under the promo offers.)

If you select "2-Year Contract," they offer you $85 Triple Play for two years. If you select "No Contract," they offer you the same $85 Triple Play, but with a one-year guarantee.

The main difference vs. Cablevision is: you don't have to call up and haggle after one year. Many people hate haggling, hate switching back and forth, and hate having to keep an eye on prices and offers. To do it half as often is quite worthwhile for them.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

$85 3-play probably includes at least $25-30 in discounts valid for duration of contract (before taxes).

As far as not having to call up and haggle - not sure what you mean. My price for FIOS internet +Phone went from $50 to $75 (before taxes/fees which is about 10%). I wouldn't call it "slightly more". As a result of my switch to CV my price will now be about $35 total (phone+internet).
tanzam75

tanzam75

said by JoeSchmoe007:

$85 3-play probably includes at least $25-30 in discounts valid for duration of contract (before taxes).

As far as not having to call up and haggle - not sure what you mean. My price for FIOS internet +Phone went from $50 to $75 (before taxes/fees which is about 10%). I wouldn't call it "slightly more". As a result of my switch to CV my price will now be about $35 total (phone+internet).

But $75 is the current price for FiOS Internet + Phone. They may have had a $50 price when you signed up, but they do not at present. They just offer $75 -- to you as well as to a new customer. How much more "no-haggling" can you get?

As I stated, Cablevision's non-promotional price is $50 for 20/2 Optimum Online, plus $35 for Optimum Voice. That's $85.

At $75 + 10% tax = $82.50, Verizon is not even "slightly more" -- it is "slightly less."

Now, if there were some other FiOS price that's higher than $75 + tax, then that would change the equation. But if this is the actual price, then you're basically comparing FiOS's actual price to Cablevision's promo price.

I happen to pay the same $35 that you pay -- but I also realize that I'm unusual. 85% of Americans subscribe to pay TV. For them, double-play is Internet + TV, not Internet + phone.
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

Of course I didn't intend to compare OOL promo rate directly with FIOS regular rate. My original post deals with my specific situation. As a result FIOS lost a customer altogether.

That being said, regular OOL rate is $50 for 20/2 and FIOS is $70 for 15/5 which is still quite a difference ($240/year).