how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LelandC

join:2001-09-14
Canton, MI

New Install Complete

Well they just finished up my WOW install (coming from Comcast). The HD quality looks great to me and the internet speed is a little slower than I had with Comcast but I can't even notice in real world usage.

I did get an old Scientific Atlanta HD DVR but it seems okay just a little clunky and old school (LOL). Anyway I noticed it's set to auto meaning it switches from 720P to 1080i depending on what the station your watching is broadcasting. Is there a way to change this to a fixed 1080i ouput? Not sure if it makes any difference PQ wise but I had my Comcast DVR set to fixed 1080i.

Also someone mentioned having a Cisco DVR with WOW. Anyone else have something different then the Scientific Atlanta? I guess it really doesn't matter as long as it works.

-LeeC

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
said by LelandC:

I guess it really doesn't matter as long as it works.

-LeeC

You must have never used a Dish Network or Tivo dvr. If you have, you sure wouldn't say anything like that.

setttingss

@wideopenwest.com
reply to LelandC
Hit the settings button twice and go to picture format. You can put it on fixed but I like to use upconvert 1. You can try them all out to see what you like best.

LelandC

Canton, MI
What exactly does upcovert 1 do? Does it upconvert SD channels?

Thanks,

-LeeC

WOW_Dan
Premium
join:2011-03-24
Naperville, IL
kudos:36

1 recommendation

Turn the cable box off. Press the info and guide buttons on the front of the box at the same time and follow the on screen setup guide.

sseettiinngg

@wideopenwest.com
No need to run the wizard dan as he stated its auto switching now, he wants it to stay on 1080 and not change back and forth all the time. Upconvert 1 just upconverts the 720p signal to 1080i. Standard def channels are 480 only.

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3
reply to LelandC
I never liked SA, but its been a couple of years now.

LelandC

Canton, MI
reply to sseettiinngg
So don't upconvert 1 and 1080i fixed accomplish the same thing then? Just making sure.

-LeeC

baess

join:2011-01-28
reply to LelandC
With my 8642 (newer Cisco DVR) it makes no difference what setting (480, 720, 1080, upconvert ,etc.) I have it on. The way channels display never change. I have SD and a 4:3 TV and experimented quite a bit. Is it because I don't have HD? Anyone know why?

sseetttiingg

@wideopenwest.com
reply to LelandC
No on upconvert 1 it will automatically strecth sd channels. With it on fixed you will have sidebars or have to manually stretch it.

ssettiinngg

@wideopenwest.com
reply to baess
Yes it is because you dont have hd.

alan92rttt

join:2012-02-27
reply to sseetttiingg
said by sseetttiingg :

No on upconvert 1 it will automatically strecth sd channels. With it on fixed you will have sidebars or have to manually stretch it.

Which is why I left upconvert off on my SA. (just set to 1080I

Personalty I'd rather have the bars that have everyone look shot and fat.

seettiinngss

@wideopenwest.com
Yes I agree but it doesnt bother me and I dont want any burn in on my lcd.