»arstechnica.com/gaming/2 ··· isition/

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

No thanks. After the evolution of ME1 to ME2 and ME3, followed by the evolution of DA:O to DA2, I'll just save myself some time and avoid anything else EA or Bioware for a long while.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I thought ME2 was the best out of the ME series, and actually preferred DA2's combat mechanics over DA1, although the story was lacking and too FPS-ish. Likewise, ME3's combat mechanics were vastly improved over ME2, including the ability to upgrade guns and really fun psionic abilities, but the story felt too constrained (something the patch did fix to some extent).

I'm really curious to see how they tune their formula with DA3. It could be more of the same, but I hope they've learned something with DA2 and ME3.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

1 recommendation

ekster

Premium Member

Story-wise, ME2 was good, but the skills and leveling up killed it for me.

It went from 12 or so skills with you being able to choose exactly what you prefer and how to level everything to "Hmmm, A - BIGGER EXPLOSIONS or B - MORE POWERFUL EXPLOSIONS. Choices, choices..."

Fighting was just as important as story, but the fighting had almost zero replayability as it would be the same thing every time. Nothing to specialize in, nothing to manage. Just a 5% bonus here, or 5% bonus there. And that's been happening in too many games as of late. It seems like they're more and more afraid of giving people choice when it comes to skills.

And I don't even remember that much about DA2. All I know is that after the first 15 seconds, my only thought was "Is there some kind of other Dragon Age series and I got the wrong thing?"

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
I still have DA:origins sitting on my hard drive unplayed. So much stuff, so little time.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium Member
join:2010-08-24
Mexico

Jobbie

Premium Member

said by footballdude:

I still have DA:origins and a ton of games sitting on my hard drive unplayed. So much stuff, so little time.

FIFY

footballdude
Premium Member
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO

footballdude

Premium Member

said by Jobbie:

said by footballdude:

I still have DA:origins and a ton of games sitting on my hard drive unplayed. So much stuff, so little time.

FIFY

truth