Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to battleop

Re: Not sure what the big deal is?

Though I would agree with you on some levels, I will whole heartedly disagree with you on the underlying message that says they are doing the right thing if they remain so large.

For the most part only AT&T and Verizon have good nationwide coverage, especially over Sprint and T-Mobile. This has been said over and over by many here that use their services and have used "competitors". So with that in mind it really isn't a matter of just switching to another carrier and it really isn't that they are so big because they are "better".

If all things were equal and you can get Sprint, T-Moble, AT&T or Verizon with the same services quality all over this nation then 1 of 2 things would happen: 1.) Verizon and AT&T would actually compete and have lower prices along with unlimited data / voice / text. or 2.) Sprint and T-Mobile would be eating Verizon's and AT&T's lunch.

Unfortunately that is not the world we live in. Right now we have 2 companies that own a vast majority of the market because they own a vast majority of the spectrum and coverage of the country. Therefore those 2 companies do not compete with one another nor with any smaller competitors. Instead, they coexist and extract as much as regulations and their monopolistic market control will allow without being officially labeled as such or as companies in collusion.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

You mean for the most part verizon has good nationwide coverage.

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
reply to Skippy25

Just because one has better coverage than another does NOT give some "group" like Public Knowledge or Free Press the right to demand crap like they do. Neither of them are in it for the public, they're only in it to make the bank off the consumers that donate and who ever gives them $$$$.

ATT has ever right to require this just as they require you to have a certain data plan to use tethering. Those customers don't like it, tell them not to buy the new iPhone from ATT.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

I and a vast majority of those that know what Net Neutrality is would strongly disagree with you on both the FaceTime and tethering apps.

These companies should do nothing more than provide you the service, how you choose to use it is your business. And before you try to pull the lame and BS "network management" card, they have all the network management they need with caps and overages on wireless connections. How quickly you use your allocated time is not their business. As long as you are willing to use it and pay for more through the system they setup, then it is not their concern.

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1
reply to hottboiinnc

They already charge you for the data, with hefty overages. If I've bought the data they shouldn't be able to restrict what I use the data for.

It infuriates me when people say things like vote with your wallet or they can screw customers all they want.
These are laissez faire capitalist arguments, which have been repeated a ridiculousness amount of times in all tech forums since 2008, the situation isn't even considered, just the same right wing mantra repeated over and over.

In economies of scale, utility providers, monopolies or duopolies free market idea's simply don't work. Most people need better coverage than T-mobile or Sprint provides, so most people are stuck in the AT&T/Verizon duopoly whose prices are for all practical purposes identical, as they don't want actual competition, and they actively buy up spectrum to prevent any real competition from forming.