Germantown, MD

cmthru

Call Forwarding

Vanished! Anyone know what's going on?

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut

Anon

I have forwarding enabled on my account and I just tested it with my cell. It still works. On the other hand when I logged into the site I saw the option to add/remove/change has disappeared.

My guess would be a temporary glitch in the website design but if you really want to find out for sure what's going on I'd suggest contacting the online help chat.

For that matter there may be a way to enable and configure forwarding from the phone's keypad the same way you would with a Bell service.
cmthru
join:2005-03-19
Germantown, MD

cmthru

The Call Forwarding option has disappeared. I called the chat and they know nothing about it.

I use the C.F. all the time and if they've removed it I'll have to drop MJ and go to a different service.

Drat.

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut to cmthru

Anon

to cmthru
Yeah I just got out of their online chat help.

I was right. It's a temporary glitch while they're modifying their website.

There's no ETA on when it will be back but in the meantime you can access forwarding directly using this link.

»my.magicjack.com/call-fo ··· ing.html

Hope this helps.
lugnut

lugnut to cmthru

Anon

to cmthru
said by cmthru:

The Call Forwarding option has disappeared. I called the chat and they know nothing about it.

I use the C.F. all the time and if they've removed it I'll have to drop MJ and go to a different service.

Drat.

Like I said, I just got out of chat with a guy named Anthony and he gave me a link that seems to work for accessing the call forwarding for now. I think you have to be logged in for it to work.

»my.magicjack.com/call-fo ··· ing.html

When I opened that in a new tab the forwarding menu turned up.

It should only be temporary anyway.
cmthru
Germantown, MD

cmthru

Thanks for the link. I wonder why the chat person I 'spoke' with didn't give that link.

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut

Anon

It's possible they didn't know themselves until we brought it up. Let's face it, CSRs are only as good as the scripts they work with.
cmthru
Germantown, MD

cmthru

Now can't access my account at all. Rejects the login name/password.

lugnut
@look.ca

lugnut

Anon

Go to »www.magicjack.com/ and use the "login to my account" link. It redirects to a semi random secure link so a direct link to the login page won't work.

ctceo
Premium Member
join:2001-04-26
South Bend, IN

ctceo to cmthru

Premium Member

to cmthru
Please wait for a site operator to respond.
You are now chatting with 'Jaron'
Your Issue ID for this chat is LLLnnnnnnnnnnnnL
Jaron: Hello, how may I help you?
Sean: My option to disable call forwarding has disappeared, where did it go?
Jaron: Let me help you with that.\
Jaron: »my.magicjack.com/call-fo ··· ing.html
Jaron: Please click on the link above to access your call forwarding.
For the meantime, please use the link above to access your call forwarding.
Sean: Please do. I cannot receive incoming calls anymore
Jaron: Yes, please click on the link above.
Sean: That works, But I would like to inform you that your login portal no longer shows that as an option under "Call Features" where it should be.
Jaron: Let me explain about that matter.
Jaron: We are working on a new call forwarding service which has plan options, but is still on a "work in progress" status.
Jaron: As of the moment, "Call Forwarding" option at my.magicjack.com is not available, until we have reintroduce the service with the plan options.
Please use the link above for the meantime.
Thank you for your understanding with this matter.
Jaron: Is there anything else I may help you with today?
Sean: Will I loose the option to forward calls when this new plan is invoked?
Jaron: No, it will do the same.
Jaron: Please do not worry about that matter.
Sean: So then what do you mean by plans, and why would it affect current subscribers?
Jaron: No, it will not.
Jaron: Please do not worry about that matter.
Sean: Is there a plan to make these services extra?
Jaron: For that matter, we do not know yet.
Please do not worry, if there are any changes, the old user will not be affected.
Sean: Okay, Thank You for your time.
Jaron: You are most welcome.
Jaron: To be eligible for your reward, please click here. Your reward instructions will be emailed to you. Thanks again!
redpepper
join:2009-09-05

1 edit

redpepper

According to the FAQs last updated on Sept. 13, 2012, you will have to pay separately for it. Call forwarding is no longer listed as one of the free features on the www.magicjack.com home page.

"visit »my.magicjack.com and login to set up Call Forwarding. Click "Call Forwarding" under the "Call Features" tab and follow the prompts to check out.

The call forwarding feature may not be used to forward calls to conference, platform and non-ILEC area telephone numbers.

Plan Options: 100 minutes per month $4.95/year, or 500 minutes per month $19.95/year.

Last Update: Sep 13, 2012"

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange

Premium Member

.... which will trigger another exodus to GVJack, NetTalk et al.

If I used call forwarding, this would be a dealbreaker. Dan had better hope that most of his remaining customers are like me.
cmthru
Germantown, MD

cmthru to redpepper

to redpepper
I logged in to my account and Call Forwarding isn't an option under the FEATURES tab. This makes it appear that CF is no longer available to me.

Even though the chat transcript indicates the feature is still available to current customers, the FAQ does not mention it at all.

I am very disappointed and if the CF is now a extra option especially after I'm paid up for a year, I'm looking elsewhere.
cmthru

cmthru

The work around link (my.magicjack.com/call-forwarding.html) is still working for me.

M I Furst
@rr.com

M I Furst to cmthru

Anon

to cmthru
I am a paid user of the MagicFeatures PlugIn. For now, I can still toggle Call Forwarding on and off through "enable" and "disable" at the MagicFeatures PlugIn Features Dashboard.

I wonder if the changes being implemented by MagicJack will mean that I will lose the ability to control Call Forwarding through the MagicFeatures PlugIn?

Any comments Red Pepper?

THANKS-in-advance.
redpepper

redpepper

No comments to share except that resources can be re-assigned to update the Magicfeatures Plugin if any corresponding enhancements happen to be required.

You will of course need to pay magicJack any additional fees they require for the use of their call forwarding service.
cmthru
Germantown, MD

cmthru

Maybe I missed it but I see nothing in the FAQ that this change affects all customers or only new ones. In other words do those who are current have to pay the new fee or only when they renew?

And if it does affect current customers will the fee be pro-rated?

Seems to me that the major upset is that they made a change to add a new fee without some sort of advance notice. They've got everyone's email so it would not have been much of an effort to let their customers know instead of it being a surprise. And that the CSRs knew nothing other than it's a temporary glitch which we now know it isn't.

Having to pay an extra $19.95/year for call forwarding is still cheap. So it's $50 total a year, no big deal. Not enough for me to walk away.

ctceo
Premium Member
South Bend, IN

ctceo to DrStrange

Premium Member

to DrStrange
It'll probably still be cheap as hell compared to standard ISP/Phone provider pricing.

Choices
@optonline.net

Choices to cmthru

Anon

to cmthru
There are Soooo many other options. This is a deal breaker for me!
redpepper

redpepper

If you decide you don't need your magicJack dongle anymore, please consider selling it on Ebay for use with the GVJack App + Google Voice.

User demand on Ebay is fairly high so you should be able to get a few bucks for it pretty fast without a problem.

ctceo
Premium Member
South Bend, IN

ctceo

Premium Member

It's a bummer the GVJack app is a tad bit more expensive then renewing your MJ for a year.

bitstopjoe
join:2009-08-02
Pen Argyl, PA

bitstopjoe

Let's see. GV app ( pro version) $19.95. MJ renewal 1 year $29.95. If you do the 5 year plan it drops to $19.95 a year for renewal.
Let me guess, you went to public school right??
redpepper

1 edit

redpepper

I'm not sure how you did your comparison either against magicJack's $29.95 annual renewal charge.

The GVJack App (standard version) for $12.95 + $0/Year would be the benchmark still with a slightly better overall feature set than magicJack provides including call forwarding that is provided for free by Google Voice.

ctceo
Premium Member
South Bend, IN

1 edit

ctceo to bitstopjoe

Premium Member

to bitstopjoe
I must correct myself. It cost me $19.95 to renew my mj for 1 year, and the gv soft costs $12.95 + Tax + Setup. So the difference is negligible. And for what it's worth, Google voice has been half as reliable or worse than the MJ service I've had for 4 years.
redpepper

1 edit

redpepper

You should double check your receipt if you renewed your magicJack recently.

Magicjack is definitely $29.95/year + regulatory fees unless you are really brave and renew for 5 years to get the lower rate. I just paid for an annual magicJack renewal last week and according to the receipt the grand total was $31.39.

The GVJack App (Standard Version) is a $12.95 online Internet sale and there are no taxes or setup fees added. Unless something changes Google Voice is $0.00/year.

It is a free market and I'm definitely not taking sides of Google Voice versus MagicJack. Personally, I use both magicJack and Google Voice and use Skype as a backup method of calling with my phone. That diversity keeps me pretty well covered.

BillinVA
@comcast.net

BillinVA to Choices

Anon

to Choices
said by Choices :

There are Soooo many other options. This is a deal breaker for me!

I was ready to go with MJ, port my number, and cancel Vonage since I only use the number to forwad to my cell, however, it seems that this will no longer be an option wth MJ. So what other options would you recomend? Which one is highest on your list? Vonage is costing $35/month for 2 lines, but only using one. Need to just forward from the other. Thanks for suggestions!
redpepper

redpepper

Google Voice's specialty is call forwarding and the service is free.

They can also forward calls to more than one phone at a time. As an example my Google Voice number will ring my "GVJack" phone and my cellphone at the same time and I answer whichever one is the most convenient at the time the call comes in.

If you want to port your Vonage number to Google Voice here are some instructions from another person that has successfully done it »ulyssesonline.com/2012/0 ··· e-voice/ .

BillinVA
@comcast.net

BillinVA

Anon

said by redpepper:

Google Voice's specialty is call forwarding and the service is free.
If you want to port your Vonage number to Google Voice here are some instructions from another person that has successfully done it »ulyssesonline.com/2012/0 ··· e-voice/ .

Thanks so much for this soloution, it is perfect. I am on it!

ctceo
Premium Member
South Bend, IN

ctceo to redpepper

Premium Member

to redpepper
I was probably given a special promotion. I clicked the link on the softphone which said $19.95. Was forwarded to the checkout page, typed in all the credit card info and was charged $21.35 after sales tax of 7%.

As a challenge a friend of mine bought the GV phone to compare and was charged $18.81 after tax and setup fees.

Palerider
@comcast.net

Palerider to cmthru

Anon

to cmthru
Two days ago I inquired about their Call Forwarding Feature and was given this link to access it; »my.magicjack.com/my/Call ··· ing.html to switch a line. Today the link is dead and according to Live Help on my account page its gone and no ETA for its return is available...Spread the word, They officially suck bad now, dont give them a red cent in the future!!!!!!!! The original excuse was that they were editing their website, Today Tara told me via live help that its gone completely.