Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

1 recommendation

More data recovery examples

Click for full size
Maxtor 6B250R0
Been waiting 3 weeks for the user to send me the drive; got it today. Didn't take me long to figure out what was wrong (about 3 minutes, if that).

Disk: Maxtor 6B250R0 (250GB PATA drive).

Symptom: drive doesn't spin up. Had user press ear to drive; nothing. User said that the drive was in an external enclosure, and at one time functioned, "but then something may have happened relating to power" and stopped functioning. Quote: "this has a lot of archived data on it going back roughly 7 years. This is my storage/backup drive and I don't have backups of it".

Inspection (quick): nothing anomalous.

Testing: hooked drive up to local Supermicro system, 4-pin power molex only (e.g. no IDE data cable). System would not power on. Disconnected molex; system powered on. Unhooked drive; definitely looking to be power circuitry related.

Inspection (detailed): might sound crazy as something to do, but: smelled PCB circuitry. Strong smell of burnt circuitry from area near molex connector. Close visual inspection showed (what I believe to be) a VRM cracked partially in half. Click picture and zoom in to 100%; see circled component in upper left.

Solution: replaced drive PCB with spare. Drive is happily spinning and reading at an astounding speed of... 28MBytes/sec (despite being ATA133 and negotiating ATA133). A world record! :P Currently copying all contents via LBA-to-file method, as I have no idea what the internal condition of the drive is. I'm afraid to look at SMART stats, but I will after I copy all the data off.

Plan: restore user data via file-to-LBA method on a donor SATA drive (had to use larger donor drive due to LBA count on source drive being larger than any other 250GB drives I have laying around. Maxtor you sly devil...), ship all drives + bad PCB back to user, tell user to invest in a SATA-based external USB enclosure.

Now it's time for bed.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

Interesting. Silicon is brittle and prone to suffering from heat. I wonder what Graphene will be like?

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to koitsu

said by koitsu:

tell user to invest in a SATA-based external USB enclosure.

I assume this comes along with standard advice to put data they care about on more than one drive...

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

I've already "lectured" them, haha. The usual "hey, if it's important, back it up to two different drives, or back-up the backup!" approach.

The reality is that a lot of people don't think about things like this **until** a catastrophe happens. Only then do they learn the lesson. I guess you could say it takes a fire for some folks to the see the light.

The user already invested in a USB-based hot-swap docking station so that she can do "double backups" of the stuff that's important. Now to go check on the data copy and hope there aren't bad LBAs or something along those lines...
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to koitsu

I really need to get off my ass and send you my drive.

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to koitsu

I have dealt with quite a few drives that had that exact chip burnt to a crisp. Always makes a very happy client when we have a $45~ fix and they are up & running in a few days.

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

said by psafux:

I have dealt with quite a few drives that had that exact chip burnt to a crisp. Always makes a very happy client when we have a $45~ fix and they are up & running in a few days.

I bet every client would be happy with hardware data recovery for only $45. Hardware data recovery could cost up to $200. There are not many companies or people left anymore who care about making someone happy, and not about the money.

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10

said by Oleg:

Hardware data recovery could cost up to $200.

You are missing a 0 at the end of your figure - and that's a bare minimum (at least for the professional data recovery that your local repair stores can't offer).

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5

1 recommendation

He does that, says stuff he doesn't know.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

1 recommendation

A wild Oleg See Profile appears...