how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

AndrewG2

join:2006-01-20
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to amungus

Re: random hiss from speaker - capacitor?

Oh no, a nick in the heatshrink, containment is breached, she's going to take out the whole of Metropolis!!!

i.e. looks like nothing to me, unless your eyes are fooled by the diagonal cap behind it.

iknow
Premium
join:2012-03-25

said by AndrewG2:

Oh no, a nick in the heatshrink, containment is breached, she's going to take out the whole of Metropolis!!!

i.e. looks like nothing to me, unless your eyes are fooled by the diagonal cap behind it.

the case of the capacitor split open, that's why the heatshrink is split and coming off, you can see some of the electrolyte sprayed onto the cap next to it.

AndrewG2

join:2006-01-20
Niagara Falls, ON
reply to AndrewG2

I see dust.

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to AndrewG2

said by AndrewG2:

looks like nothing to me, unless your eyes are fooled by the diagonal cap behind it.

While the picture is from the wrong angle to confirm anything, anytime the shrink wrapping is pealing off an electrolytic, it definitely demands a close examination.

Only if the wrap was damaged by non-deforming (to the metal shell) mechanical damage from external forces would it not be much of a concern. Other wise anything that would damage the wrap, either from inside or outside the cap would indicate that the cap was highly suspect.