share rss forum feed

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Graphics Upgrade

I am currently looking at options for an upgrade path for the video card in my rig. As a quick review, this is what i currently have:

CPU: i7-920 @ 3.0 GHz
Cooler: Corsair H100
Mobo: EVGA x58 tri-SLI ATX (16/16/8)
Ram: 24 GB GSkill DDR3 1333
GPU: EVGA GTX 580 (-AR)
PSU: Corsair Pro AX750 Gold Modular
SSD: Vertex 2 120 GB (SATA II)
HDD: 2x WD 640 GB 7200rpm Black Caviar
Case: Cooler Master HAF922
Monitor: Auria 27" 2560x1440

I am most interested in GPU performance at my native resolution. Currently trying to figure out if it's best to buy a second GTX 580 (about $300 on Amazon), or go for a 680 or a 7970 (and sell the580). Preliminary research shows that the Radeons scale much better at extreme resolutions such as 1600p.

Thoughts?
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
I was planning on going with a 670 for eons. once everything came out and prices dropped I ended up getting a 7950. I could not justify the extra 80 bucks for what seemed like not much of an upgrade. (not 80 bucks worth anyway) With that I have overclocked the 7950 and am running at 1050 mhz core clock currently. I run three monitors and can actually play bf3 and sustain 60fps at 5760 x 1080. Granted I have to lower the settings down to medium, but it's something I have not been able to do to this point. I think the AMD's really excel when you have the larger resolutions due to having 3 gb vs the 2 gb of nvidia. You can overlock the shit out of them too which is a big plus.

My advice that I have been out giving lately is if you don't want to overclock your not going to beat the nvidia's out of the box so get one of those. But if you like OC'ing you can OC an AMD to do more than a comparable nvidia (atleast this generation). Just my opinion. I'm not sure why AMD clocked their cards so low this go around. I seen the other day there is a new firmware update for my card that ups the stock clock so it benchmarks better against nvida, lol. Oops on their part I guess.

I'm running this card currently and have zero complaints.

»www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Mini-Dis···yte+7950

The card is super quiet and runs very cool. during bf3 sessions with everything on ultra except AA it runs about 50 degrees. That's OC'd at 1050 mhz and playing 64 player matches. I have the frames capped at 70 which is stay's at pretty much constantly, (1 monitor for with BF3 running, the other 2 surfing the internet etc.)

I am contemplating getting a second card to maximize the three monitors the next time I have some extra money laying around and I catch a good deal, but I dunno. I'm about all out of upgrades so why not go crazy. Not that I really need another one, I often find myself gaming on 1 monitor because all 3 is a little bit of information overload during long gaming sessions. lol. guess i'm getting old.

I opted for the 7950 over the 7970 because of prices at the time. Best bang for the buck imo. I also know there are ways to flash the 7950's to the 7970's.

I have a buddy who has the MSI card »www.amazon.com/MSI-R7950-TWIN-FR···ozr+7950

And he loves it as well. He told me the other day he was able to OC it to 1200 mhz core clock without upping voltages, which i'm not to sure I believe him yet. I had to slightly up voltages at 1050. He has it up so high because he has a 120hz monitor on order and wanted to make sure he could run 120fps before getting it, which he says on bf3 he is getting a consistant 140 at that speed.

Hope that helps a little. I have had AMD for the last 2 cards now, (6850 before) and had nvidia prior to that. I really wanted to try out nvidia again, but the price was just not there this go around.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
My only concern is that a single 7950 seems to be a bit of a side-grade, with only 6-10% boosts over the GTX 580. It probably would make sense to get a second GTX 580 since I already have invested in one.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Gordo74
Premium
join:2003-10-28
Monroeville, PA
said by Krisnatharok:

It probably would make sense to get a second GTX 580 since I already have invested in one.

I would agree with this. This is your cheapest and most effective upgrade path.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

1 edit
What do you think of two 7870s or 7850s? The 7870 GHz Edition is about $220 a pop on Newegg.

Tweaktown shows a pretty big jump at 1600p for Crossfired 7870s over a single 580:
»www.tweaktown.com/articles/4597/···x10.html

AvP: »images.tweaktown.com/content/4/5···fire.png

(Look at the scores for the single 7870 and 580--nearly identical, wow.)

I should have noted my budget. I have a $175 gift card to use, and my GTX 580 is worth about $200-225. I want to limit my additional out-of-pocket cost to not more than $100-150 (about $500 total with the gift card and worth of my current GPU).
--

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
I can't speak for twin 7870s, but my single MSI Hawk GHz edition is a monster. I don't think you could go wrong with 2 of them.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Krisnatharok
You could go with an EVGA FTW 4gb 680? The reviews of people running multi monitors and high resolutions are superb.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14130794

I've always heard that you want more Vram for higher resolutions.

I really wish EVGA would move away from these reference design coolers though. But not a deal breaker.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
That's about $100 more than I'd like to spend...

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Krisnatharok
Ah yeah, didn't notice the cart price.

You got the 4gb GTX 670's also, Superclocked and FTW versions...

$450-500 »www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi···ESTMATCH

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
reply to Krisnatharok
How many monitors are you planning to use? sorry if you posted this somewhere else.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
reply to Krisnatharok
So what is it that you dont like about your current setup? Is the 580 not performing for the 2560 x 1440 res's?

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Jobbie
I think Kris said he's running a single 27" 1440p monitor, along with a 23"? 1080p monitor, or something like that.

These new high end 6 series should run a single 1440p monitor beautifully.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Moos
said by Moos:

So what is it that you dont like about your current setup? Is the 580 not performing for the 2560 x 1440 res's?

I was thinking this, the 580 works just beautiful with any current game. I would wait until there is a price drop on the new series to do the switch.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Jobbie
said by Jobbie:

How many monitors are you planning to use? sorry if you posted this somewhere else.

A single 27" 1440p. My 20" 1050p is driven by an external AMD USB GPU.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Moos
said by Moos:

No it's not. I get 20-50 FPS in GW2, and get slow-downs in demanding games like The Witcher 2 with uber-sampling or SSAO turned on.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Krisnatharok
I asked the same question over at Tom's Hardware and the consensus is to get this card when it comes in stock: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14202001
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
That is a beast of a card.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

I asked the same question over at Tom's Hardware and the consensus is to get this card when it comes in stock: »www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···14202001

I think that's where AMD is beating Nvidia on higher resolution benchmarks, because of the 384bit Vram compared to the measly 256bit on the Nvidia 6 series.

I still dont understand why Nvidia went that route.

That looks like a nice ass card though.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
Yeah, it further puzzles me because the GTX 580 is 384 bit as well, and can operate nearly identically to the GTX 680 when clocked at the same frequency (the stock 580 clockspeed is something like 775 MHz whereas the 680 is around 1GHz).

I'll have to look closer at the 7970 GHz Ed vs. two 7870s.
--

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
Yep, even my 560ti has 384bit.

From what I've read, that's a huge complaint from a lot of people out there with the new Kepler cards.

I might have to reconsider an AMD card in the future. I'm looking to get a 1440p 27" monitor also.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Krisnatharok
Amazon only has 19 of them left in stock...

»www.amazon.com/Sapphire-DL-DVI-I···7970+ghz

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
reply to Krisnatharok
Just wait for the GTX685

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
When is it coming out? It's rumored Q3, so they have about another week to get it out...

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
said by Krisnatharok:

When is it coming out? It's rumored Q3, so they have about another week to get it out...

I'm waiting for that one also. But there's also speculation out there about it not even releasing until Q1 2013. So who the fuck knows.

It'll probably be outside all of our budgets also.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Krisnatharok
Your video card is fine. Stop upgrading.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Krisnatharok
I hear in the Oct-Nov time frame

About the same as for the Quardo K5000

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Archivis
said by Archivis:

Your video card is fine. Stop upgrading.

Blasphemy you heathen.

Now repent for you sins.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
He's mad I won't sell him my 580 for $75.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

I hear in the Oct-Nov time frame

About the same as for the Quardo K5000

heh, I'm less impressed with the 600 series this time around. GPU boost is a nice feature they've adapted from CPUs, but AMD is really out-shining them this time around with the value, especially of the 7800 cards and the efficient scaling at high resolutions.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Well I had expected the 600's to be a down swing, it fits the pattern.

But the 700's are a long way off and nvidia hasn't felt any pressure from AMD to really try.

I'll ether get a 685 in dec or just wait for the 700's